Apech

Some I Ching resources on-line

From statistical point of view, coins have equal probability to all 64 hexagram, and stalks do not have.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any resources (online or otherwise) that describe the rationale behind the decisions and commentaries based upon the structure of the hexagrams/trigrams independently of the decisions and commentaries of Confucius and King Wen? In other words, resources that deconstruct and recompile the guo meanings from scratch?

38 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Does anyone know of any resources (online or otherwise) that describe the rationale behind the decisions and commentaries based upon the structure of the hexagrams/trigrams independently of the decisions and commentaries of Confucius and King Wen? In other words, resources that deconstruct and recompile the guo meanings from scratch?

It is an age-old belief that the text from the Yi is based on trigrams and lines imagery but that is very hard to demonstrate. Nevertheless if you are looking for a book that takes this idea to a whole new level I suggest you read Huang Yongwu 黃永武 《黃永武解周易》. Huang, using several sources, explains every image and line of text as a reference to one or more trigrams. Not always convincing but nonetheless entertaining.

5 minutes ago, Harmen said:

It is an age-old belief that the text from the Yi is based on trigrams and lines imagery but that is very hard to demonstrate. Nevertheless if you are looking for a book that takes this idea to a whole new level I suggest you read Huang Yongwu 黃永武 《黃永武解周易》. Huang, using several sources, explains every image and line of text as a reference to one or more trigrams. Not always convincing but nonetheless entertaining.

Is this in Chinese only? I studied Mandarin one semester in college...

2 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Yes, it is only in Chinese.

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

If you know the basics and want to learn more written Chinese, there are plug ins for browser to read the translation of each word. I use Chinese pop dictionary so when a page displays Chinese characters then I activate the plug in and each I hover one Chinese character then I get the translation in English.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2014 at 9:54 AM, Apech said:

I have used this site before, and just checked it again today.  It appears to have the results of the coin toss backwards.

Normally I use the coins and Alfred Huang's book.  A result I got yesterday was a little difficult to correlate with my question so I decided to look at the simplified versions they have on this site.  https://ichingonline.net

After you go to the home page click continue and you get tot the toss coins part.

You can do the coin 'toss' virtually or by hand and enter the results - click toss coins by hand button.

You will see that on this site one heads and two tails is denoted as a yang line while in Alfred Huang's book one head and two tails is a yin line.  I doubt if Alfred Huang has it wrong, so obviously the website has it backwards.

19 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I have used this site before, and just checked it again today.  It appears to have the results of the coin toss backwards.

Normally I use the coins and Alfred Huang's book.  A result I got yesterday was a little difficult to correlate with my question so I decided to look at the simplified versions they have on this site.  https://ichingonline.net

After you go to the home page click continue and you get tot the toss coins part.

You can do the coin 'toss' virtually or by hand and enter the results - click toss coins by hand button.

You will see that on this site one heads and two tails is denoted as a yang line while in Alfred Huang's book one head and two tails is a yin line.  I doubt if Alfred Huang has it wrong, so obviously the website has it backwards.

I've seen in given both ways.  I think it is a confusion between chinese coinage and western coinage.  Wilhelm and others give heads as yang - so two tails and a head would be a young yang line.  I always use this convention and it seems to make intuitively more sense.  Also from memory Chinese coins had a blank side and a side with the value of the coin.  The side with the value was yin.  So on our coins the tales side which has the value of coin is yin.

• Like 1

Well that all is kind of disillusioning, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Apech said:

I think it is a confusion between chinese coinage and western coinage.

1 hour ago, Apech said:

Wilhelm and others give heads as yang - so two tails and a head would be a young yang line.  I always use this convention and it seems to make intuitively more sense.

I think you made a mistake there, you meant to say that two yangs and a yin would be a young yang, right?  That is what makes sense to me.

Also, as I think more about it, the translators like Wilhelm and Huang were writing for the West and so would be referring to Western coinage, so I'll stick with that method.  Two heads is yang and two tails is yin, at least that's what Huang says, I haven't checked Wilhelm on it.

The whole coin thing is confusing. Since modern coins did not exist 3000+ years ago it's probably moot. I think whatever makes sense is what you should follow, otherwise you spent too much time thinking about it.

3 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Well that all is kind of disillusioning, isn't it?

I think you made a mistake there, you meant to say that two yangs and a yin would be a young yang, right?  That is what makes sense to me.

Also, as I think more about it, the translators like Wilhelm and Huang were writing for the West and so would be referring to Western coinage, so I'll stick with that method.  Two heads is yang and two tails is yin, at least that's what Huang says, I haven't checked Wilhelm on it.

No its the odd one out which determines the line - so one head and two tails is a yang.  Anyway that's the convention i use.

5 hours ago, Apech said:

No its the odd one out which determines the line - so one head and two tails is a yang.  Anyway that's the convention i use.

OK, well Alfred Huang's book has it the other way around and that's what I've been using.

11 hours ago, Apech said:

Me too. That's what is suggested in the Wilhelm edition anyway.

However, I once read somewhere that it wouldn't really matter what convention you use, as long as you are consistent with it. The Chinese holed coins that were originally used look different anyway.

My three cents. :D