KenBrace

How to help cure the flu?

Anyone know of any natural flu remedies that they have tried and actually work? Any suggestions in general? I've had a flu virus off and on for over two weeks now I'm really getting tired of it.

The best herbal remedy for the flu that I know of is Gan Mao Ling. I don't get the flu any more and haven't for years, thanks to my use of Chinese herbal products. This is the online supplier that I use for other things and here is a search for Gan Mao Ling:

Gan Mao Ling at MaxNature

For cost and effectiveness the Plum Flower brand is probably the best buy. You many be able to find Gan Mao Ling at a local Chinese pharmacy if you live in an area where it is available. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Manuka honey. Echinacea drops. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids. All help to boost natural defences, with Manuka honey especially good for debugging. ;)

• Like 2

I had a cold recently, and something that helped was tapping on meridian points (EFT) - You can use this for lots of things and get results with it...It didn't actually cure the cold, but it helped me manage the symptoms. If you try it, let me know how it works for you.

I had a cold recently, and something that helped was tapping on meridian points (EFT) - You can use this for lots of things and get results with it...It didn't actually cure the cold, but it helped me manage the symptoms. If you try it, let me know how it works for you.
Manuka honey. Echinacea drops. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids. All help to boost natural defences, with Manuka honey especially good for debugging. ;)
The best herbal remedy for the flu that I know of is Gan Mao Ling. I don't get the flu any more and haven't for years, thanks to my use of Chinese herbal products. This is the online supplier that I use for other things and here is a search for Gan Mao Ling:Gan Mao Ling at MaxNature

For cost and effectiveness the Plum Flower brand is probably the best buy. You many be able to find Gan Mao Ling at a local Chinese pharmacy if you live in an area where it is available. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info everyone! :)

Get your vitamin D levels checked! Flu season comes when vitamin D levels sink, and vitamin D (and sunshine!) are negatively correlated with getting the flu. Some vitamin D experts suggest taking massive doses of vitamin D for three days in a row...Check out Dr. John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council for specifics.

And for treating the flu you got, besides lots of vitamin D, also lots of vitamin C (talking grams here), eat lightly, chicken soup, and ginger tea. Ginger tea all day!

Hope it's gone soon!

• Like 2

You can try a homeopathic remedy called Oscillococcinum, it also helps a lot in preventing the flu.

A water fasting may be useful in removing the symptoms.

• Like 2

Ginger drink! With honey...one when you wake up, one before sleep. Plenty of rest and make yourself sweat (the drink will assist) Steam with eucalyptus oil...in baths and boiling pans.

Additional lemon, honey and warm water drinks too.

Soups too...fresh if possible with chicken legs, green veg, garlic, onions, herbs. Eat the bone marrow too!

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

Echinacea is all you need. For flu and common cold. Certainly preventative at first symptoms. May help cure too if you're in the grip of the grippe! :)

• Like 1

Get your vitamin D levels checked! Flu season comes when vitamin D levels sink, and vitamin D (and sunshine!) are negatively correlated with getting the flu. Some vitamin D experts suggest taking massive doses of vitamin D for three days in a row...Check out Dr. John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council for specifics.

And for treating the flu you got, besides lots of vitamin D, also lots of vitamin C (talking grams here), eat lightly, chicken soup, and ginger tea. Ginger tea all day!

Hope it's gone soon!

That means I need to get off this forum. :)

Heal both your spleen and stomach (mother) then you'll nourish and detox the lungs (child).

2dr6jp5.png

You'll no longer catch colds and the flu.

Poor diet (also too much sweet foods and sugar), eating non-mindfully, worry, overthinking, etc. damage the Earth organs and weaken the lungs (defensive organ, it's the shield of our energetic system that acts as a barrier against the negative external influences: dampness, cold, heat, etc.).

• Like 1

Anyone know of any natural flu remedies that they have tried and actually work? Any suggestions in general? I've had a flu virus off and on for over two weeks now I'm really getting tired of it.

Sleeping very warm with many stacked blankets to increase core temperature a bit.

Low calorie diet in addition to this reduces sweating under the many blankets to almost zero & boosts the immune system.

Works very good for me. ^_^

The best herbal remedy for the flu that I know of is Gan Mao Ling. I don't get the flu any more and haven't for years, thanks to my use of Chinese herbal products. This is the online supplier that I use for other things and here is a search for Gan Mao Ling:

Gan Mao Ling at MaxNature

Gan Mao Ling is amazing and is on my family's medicine shelf. It does, however, work best at the first sign of cold or flu. I know more than one MD convert that reaches for Gan Mao Ling.

Also, qigong/neigong practitioners tend to get sick less as well as recover far faster; as an example the majority of Stillness-Movement practitioners who have been practicing for over 3 years usually don't come down with these virus. But of course anyone can get sick and different stress factors can come into play.

Several good suggestions here. But be aware these is a huge difference in quality of herbal preparations. One brand of echinacea I think is wonderful is Gaia herbs echinacea supreme x-tra strength liguid.

It is interesting to see sick qi and see these virus jump from one person to another.

• Like 2

Elderberry

How to Make Elderberry Syrup for Flu Prevention
2/3 cup black elderberries
3.5 cups of water
2 T fresh or dried ginger root
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cloves or clove powder
1 cup raw honey (we get from our farmer’s market)

Lomatium

The anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of Lomatium dissectum have attracted the interest of herbalists and Naturopathic physicians who are utilizing it in the treatment of today’s most difficult viral diseases.
It was used primarily for upper respiratory infections, although a great many other uses have been noted. When the influenza epidemic hit Northern Nevada in 1918, Ernst Krebs MD of Carson City was surprised to see the local Washoe people recovering, and he inquired as to their medicine.

Olive Leaf

The main component in olive leaf is the phytochemical oleuropein. Olive leaf may have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, thus it may be able to interact with the protein in a cold or flu and slow its progress. Some research suggests that olive leaf may be able to inhibit viral replication but there is no definitive scientific consensus at this time.

Astragalus

Astragalus herb really helps fight the flu (influenza)
Clinical Applications: Astragalus is antiviral, carminative, antispasmodic, and hepatic.
Astragalus helps to build the immune system, and thus make you less vulnerable to the flu. Take 250 to 500 milligrams in the morning three times a week during the flu season. Note: Do not take this herb if you have a fever. American ginseng helps to boost the immune system and strengthen the body.
Modern research suggests that astragalus stimulates the immune system (though in my opinion, it's not quite as effective as echinacea), counteracts fatigue, treats many infections (including flu), and supports the kidneys. Unlike echinacea, astragalus may be taken long-term during cold and flu season. Chinese studies have found it to be an effective preventive against the common cold.

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Elderberry

Lomatium

Olive Leaf

Astragalus

Elderberry is amazing. We grow our own and make elderberry syrup. It also taste good.

• Like 1

Elderberry is amazing. We grow our own and make elderberry syrup. It also taste good.

Very cool! B)

The Mexican Elderberry (Sambucus mexicana) is a great-tasting variety that grows in more of a tree habit...

What other things are you growing? :)

Edited by vortex

Thanks for the advise and info everyone! I'm feeling much better now so I think the sickness is pretty much gone.

• Like 1

It is possible to bring your body into balance so that you are free from any symptoms, yet your body may still contain the bacteria or virus. Wim Hof has been injected with substances that cause very serious and unpleasant health symptoms yet he failed to show any symptoms see here. This is scientific and medical proof to show it is possible. Although Wims injection is perhaps a bit over the top, you can do a similar thing yourself with colds or flu that you catch using meditation, diet and exercise. When you have a virus or bacteria present in your body yet show no symptoms it is called asymptomatic. I have also achieved this state through very intense daily exercise, yet following such a routine leaves very little time to do anything else in your life. When in an asymptomatic state you can feel the presence of bacteria or a virus yet you still have plenty of energy, and as stated before, no symptoms. You can get closer and closer to this asymptomatic state gradually as you learn to feel and balance your body with greater skill through experience. It is important to realize that although you may be fully symptom free, your body still contains the virus or bacteria that is trying to knock your body out of balance, so you should try to avoid environmental stresses on your body (like cold, overexercise, drinking alcohol or smoking), otherwise these stresses together with the virus or bacteria could have enough power to unbalance you and bring forth the symptoms of the cold or flu. When you have a cold or flu infection your body loses balance in several different ways during the course of the illness. At some times you may have some symptoms, at other times you have others. Each of the symptoms indicates that your body is out of balance at a different angle. You need to continuously be aware of which symptoms you are experiencing and how severely so that you know how intensely you should apply the balancing techniques. If you do too much of certain techniques you may find some different symptoms appearing as you lose others. The suggested balancing approaches are a heavy handed approach to the symptoms and should cause a noticeable difference within 1-2 days (depending on how severe they were to begin with). Then if the symptoms become mild you should only do ½ or ¼ of the suggested approach to avoid overshooting the mark, which will give rise to other symptoms. When the symptoms disappear discontinue the suggestions entirely unless the symptoms return. The strategy should be to read all the balancing approaches for all the symptoms you have, combine them together so that you dont eat anything in the AVOID list (even if it is in a different EAT list) and try to eat things in the EAT list (unless they are in another AVOID list). Reading the literature on the rest of the site will help you understand what we are trying to achieve. With experience you will know with more accuracy how you should best apply these methods within your own body. Here are some approaches to balance your body for some common symptoms. Try eat the foods 3-4 times a day and the exercises 2-3 times a day.

Sore Throat

Although your throat could be sore for several reasons, one very common one is in Autumn when the weather becomes cooler and the air dryer. This can cause your throat feel hot, dry and sore. The aim is to cool, moisten and strengthen the lungs and avoid anything that will heat or dry them further.

Foods to EAT:

Pears cooked with small amounts of rock sugar.

Soy bean milk with honey

Or you can have soy bean milk with pears and honey run through a blender

Foods to AVOID:

Chilli, pepper, garlic, ginger.

Any spices

Lamb

Exercises:

Lung healing sound 12-24 times

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth at any time throughout the day, that will dry your throat out further. Always breath in and out through your nose, thats what its there for.

Make the noise like you are trying to cough up some phelm. It sounds terrible but it vibrates your neck and increases circulation. Especially try to vibrate the areas that are most tender. Do every hour to help a sore throat.

Squeeze and relax the muscles around your throat 18x. Do it every hour to help fresh blood flow to the area.

Gargle salt water while squeezing the muscles at the back of your throat. Not like a choke using your hands, but just by tensing the muscles there using your mind.

Massage either side of your neck towards the front around the glands that tend to swell when you get a sore throat. Do 18x every hour on each side.

All these exercises work best before your throat gets really sore, you should begin at the very first signs of a slightly sore or itchy throat. Do them every hour or whenever you remember.

Runny Nose

A runny nose with clear or white (NOT yellow) discharge indicates excess dampness in your lung. The stomach is usually the source of dampness and it gets stored in the lung. Although usually it is just part of catching a cold, sometimes if you eat too many cooling or dampness causing foods for the lung a runny nose can develop. The aim is to warm, dry and strengthen the lungs and avoid anything that will generate more dampness.

Foods to EAT:

Pepper, onions, garlic and ginger.

You can boil some water with onions and ginger and drink the water, and add some pepper to the food you normally eat. If your nose is really runny you can have some hot chilli to speed the drying process.

Foods to AVOID:

All dairy

Fatty or oily foods

Cold foods or drinks from the fridge

Exercises:

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth, always use your nose, the airflow will help to dry out your nasal passages.

Blocked Nose / Sinuses / Head Congestion

You can get a blocked nose for many reasons, not only because of a cold. I had a chronically blocked nose for 12 years or so until I worked out the remedy. Now I can run and do any activity breathing solely through my nose. The aim is to avoid dampness, strengthen the lungs, and relax the area around the nose while stimulating chi flow in the area to clear the congestion. The foods to avoid along with the exercises are the most important aspects of this treatment.

Foods to EAT:

Although these foods may provide short term relief, relying on them may cause other problems in the near future so its best to concentrate on the other aspects of treatment.

You can boil some water with onions and ginger and drink the water, and add some pepper to the food you normally eat. If your nose is really blocked you can have some hot chilli help clear the nose.

Foods to AVOID:

All dairy

Fatty or oily foods

Exercises:

Hold the pressure points as indicated in the picture below. You should feel a little dint in the bone either side of your nose that is a bit tender to touch. This is the point you press. Hold the point for 60 seconds as often as you like, and if you are experienced in meditation concentrate chi at those points too. Also you can rub along the bone from the nose out to the cheek (this direction only) 12 times or more to stimulate circulation there too. Rest for a minute or two to feel the effects.

<<INSERT ACUPRESSURE PICTURE>>

The whole time while performing this next exercise you should try to remain as relaxed as possible, and be gentle with yourself, dont force things. Sit down, then while breathing at your normal rate (dont hyperventilate in preparation) begin to hold your breath while pinching your nose after an inhalation. Hold your breath as long as you can but not so long that you need to gasp in air to save your life. Once you really need a breath of air, let the air out though your nose (as much as you can you may need to use your mouth too) then try to go back to breathing calmly and normally through your nose as best you can (you can do this a few times if need be). The aim is for a small clear passage to open up in at least one of your nostrils that you can begin to breath through. Next we continue to melt the congestion. Continue to remain relaxed and breath slowly through the small opening in your nasal passage, and as you breath out each time relax your whole body and feel your body become heavier and heavier as described in the yin version of the smiling meditation. The goal is to breath only through your nose, constantly feeling like you are slightly starved of air, being very relaxed, and having very gentle and smooth rolling breath, much like a sine wave. Things to look for in your breath are You shouldnt be breathing deeply because that takes a lot of effort and muscle to expand your stomach / chest outward. Instead take slow, shallow, gentle breaths, letting your body breath by its self with out any force imposed by yourself. Its best to breath as slowly as possible while remaining relaxed. If you start to feel your diaphragm spasm or tighten then breath a little faster or deeper, not suddenly but give yourself slightly more air consistently, to allow yourself to remain relaxed. When your nose is very blocked you may find that very little or no air travels through your nose, yet your diaphragm still gently moves up and down as if you were breathing. Just relax and let this happen for as long as you can, then take a breath through your mouth if need be so you can get some more air, then continue with the relaxed breathing (or breathing attempts) through your nose again. Continue doing this, focusing on the smooth (although maybe very constricted) flow of air through your nose, or if your nose remains totally blocked, on the smooth suction effect of your respiratory system on your blocked nose as you try to breath. Notice especially the very smooth transition from exhale to inhale and from inhale to exhale, like the peaks and valleys of a sine graph, as well as your whole body sinking deeper into relaxation with every exhale. The increase in CO2 in your body while slightly starving yourself of air allows for greater relaxation in your body giving more room more circulation around your nose, and providing an opportunity for the congestion to clear. After 5 minutes or so of breathing like this your nose should have cleared considerably, definitely enough to allow you to breath through your nose without having to use your mouth. You can now breath however you like and then go back to using this method any time you feel like it.

<<INSERT SINE GRAPH>>

When you lay down in bed to sleep with a blocked nose, lay on your side with your most clear nostril on the top. This will help that nostril to remain clear during the night.

Stretch and relax your neck and shoulders. This improves circulation to and from your head and creates room for the congestion to drain away.

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth, always use your nose, this will help to keep the nasal passages open

• Like 4

It is possible to bring your body into balance so that you are free from any symptoms, yet your body may still contain the bacteria or virus. Wim Hof has been injected with substances that cause very serious and unpleasant health symptoms yet he failed to show any symptoms see here. This is scientific and medical proof to show it is possible. Although Wims injection is perhaps a bit over the top, you can do a similar thing yourself with colds or flu that you catch using meditation, diet and exercise. When you have a virus or bacteria present in your body yet show no symptoms it is called asymptomatic. I have also achieved this state through very intense daily exercise, yet following such a routine leaves very little time to do anything else in your life. When in an asymptomatic state you can feel the presence of bacteria or a virus yet you still have plenty of energy, and as stated before, no symptoms. You can get closer and closer to this asymptomatic state gradually as you learn to feel and balance your body with greater skill through experience. It is important to realize that although you may be fully symptom free, your body still contains the virus or bacteria that is trying to knock your body out of balance, so you should try to avoid environmental stresses on your body (like cold, overexercise, drinking alcohol or smoking), otherwise these stresses together with the virus or bacteria could have enough power to unbalance you and bring forth the symptoms of the cold or flu. When you have a cold or flu infection your body loses balance in several different ways during the course of the illness. At some times you may have some symptoms, at other times you have others. Each of the symptoms indicates that your body is out of balance at a different angle. You need to continuously be aware of which symptoms you are experiencing and how severely so that you know how intensely you should apply the balancing techniques. If you do too much of certain techniques you may find some different symptoms appearing as you lose others. The suggested balancing approaches are a heavy handed approach to the symptoms and should cause a noticeable difference within 1-2 days (depending on how severe they were to begin with). Then if the symptoms become mild you should only do ½ or ¼ of the suggested approach to avoid overshooting the mark, which will give rise to other symptoms. When the symptoms disappear discontinue the suggestions entirely unless the symptoms return. The strategy should be to read all the balancing approaches for all the symptoms you have, combine them together so that you dont eat anything in the AVOID list (even if it is in a different EAT list) and try to eat things in the EAT list (unless they are in another AVOID list). Reading the literature on the rest of the site will help you understand what we are trying to achieve. With experience you will know with more accuracy how you should best apply these methods within your own body. Here are some approaches to balance your body for some common symptoms. Try eat the foods 3-4 times a day and the exercises 2-3 times a day.

Sore Throat

Although your throat could be sore for several reasons, one very common one is in Autumn when the weather becomes cooler and the air dryer. This can cause your throat feel hot, dry and sore. The aim is to cool, moisten and strengthen the lungs and avoid anything that will heat or dry them further.

Foods to EAT:

Pears cooked with small amounts of rock sugar.

Soy bean milk with honey

Or you can have soy bean milk with pears and honey run through a blender

Foods to AVOID:

Chilli, pepper, garlic, ginger.

Any spices

Lamb

Exercises:

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth at any time throughout the day, that will dry your throat out further. Always breath in and out through your nose, thats what its there for.

Make the noise like you are trying to cough up some phelm. It sounds terrible but it vibrates your neck and increases circulation. Especially try to vibrate the areas that are most tender. Do every hour to help a sore throat.

Squeeze and relax the muscles around your throat 18x. Do it every hour to help fresh blood flow to the area.

Gargle salt water while squeezing the muscles at the back of your throat. Not like a choke using your hands, but just by tensing the muscles there using your mind.

Massage either side of your neck towards the front around the glands that tend to swell when you get a sore throat. Do 18x every hour on each side.

All these exercises work best before your throat gets really sore, you should begin at the very first signs of a slightly sore or itchy throat. Do them every hour or whenever you remember.

Runny Nose

A runny nose with clear or white (NOT yellow) discharge indicates excess dampness in your lung. The stomach is usually the source of dampness and it gets stored in the lung. Although usually it is just part of catching a cold, sometimes if you eat too many cooling or dampness causing foods for the lung a runny nose can develop. The aim is to warm, dry and strengthen the lungs and avoid anything that will generate more dampness.

Foods to EAT:

You can boil some water with onions and ginger and drink the water, and add some pepper to the food you normally eat. If your nose is really runny you can have some hot chilli to speed the drying process.

Foods to AVOID:

All dairy

Fatty or oily foods

Exercises:

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth, always use your nose, the airflow will help to dry out your nasal passages.

Blocked Nose / Sinuses / Head Congestion

You can get a blocked nose for many reasons, not only because of a cold. I had a chronically blocked nose for 12 years or so until I worked out the remedy. Now I can run and do any activity breathing solely through my nose. The aim is to avoid dampness, strengthen the lungs, and relax the area around the nose while stimulating chi flow in the area to clear the congestion. The foods to avoid along with the exercises are the most important aspects of this treatment.

Foods to EAT:

Although these foods may provide short term relief, relying on them may cause other problems in the near future so its best to concentrate on the other aspects of treatment.

You can boil some water with onions and ginger and drink the water, and add some pepper to the food you normally eat. If your nose is really blocked you can have some hot chilli help clear the nose.

Foods to AVOID:

All dairy

Fatty or oily foods

Exercises:

Hold the pressure points as indicated in the picture below. You should feel a little dint in the bone either side of your nose that is a bit tender to touch. This is the point you press. Hold the point for 60 seconds as often as you like, and if you are experienced in meditation concentrate chi at those points too. Also you can rub along the bone from the nose out to the cheek (this direction only) 12 times or more to stimulate circulation there too. Rest for a minute or two to feel the effects.

<<INSERT ACUPRESSURE PICTURE>>

The whole time while performing this next exercise you should try to remain as relaxed as possible, and be gentle with yourself, dont force things. Sit down, then while breathing at your normal rate (dont hyperventilate in preparation) begin to hold your breath while pinching your nose after an inhalation. Hold your breath as long as you can but not so long that you need to gasp in air to save your life. Once you really need a breath of air, let the air out though your nose (as much as you can you may need to use your mouth too) then try to go back to breathing calmly and normally through your nose as best you can (you can do this a few times if need be). The aim is for a small clear passage to open up in at least one of your nostrils that you can begin to breath through. Next we continue to melt the congestion. Continue to remain relaxed and breath slowly through the small opening in your nasal passage, and as you breath out each time relax your whole body and feel your body become heavier and heavier as described in the yin version of the smiling meditation. The goal is to breath only through your nose, constantly feeling like you are slightly starved of air, being very relaxed, and having very gentle and smooth rolling breath, much like a sine wave. Things to look for in your breath are You shouldnt be breathing deeply because that takes a lot of effort and muscle to expand your stomach / chest outward. Instead take slow, shallow, gentle breaths, letting your body breath by its self with out any force imposed by yourself. Its best to breath as slowly as possible while remaining relaxed. If you start to feel your diaphragm spasm or tighten then breath a little faster or deeper, not suddenly but give yourself slightly more air consistently, to allow yourself to remain relaxed. When your nose is very blocked you may find that very little or no air travels through your nose, yet your diaphragm still gently moves up and down as if you were breathing. Just relax and let this happen for as long as you can, then take a breath through your mouth if need be so you can get some more air, then continue with the relaxed breathing (or breathing attempts) through your nose again. Continue doing this, focusing on the smooth (although maybe very constricted) flow of air through your nose, or if your nose remains totally blocked, on the smooth suction effect of your respiratory system on your blocked nose as you try to breath. Notice especially the very smooth transition from exhale to inhale and from inhale to exhale, like the peaks and valleys of a sine graph, as well as your whole body sinking deeper into relaxation with every exhale. The increase in CO2 in your body while slightly starving yourself of air allows for greater relaxation in your body giving more room more circulation around your nose, and providing an opportunity for the congestion to clear. After 5 minutes or so of breathing like this your nose should have cleared considerably, definitely enough to allow you to breath through your nose without having to use your mouth. You can now breath however you like and then go back to using this method any time you feel like it.

<<INSERT SINE GRAPH>>

When you lay down in bed to sleep with a blocked nose, lay on your side with your most clear nostril on the top. This will help that nostril to remain clear during the night.

Stretch and relax your neck and shoulders. This improves circulation to and from your head and creates room for the congestion to drain away.

Lung exercises 12 times

Try not to breath through your mouth, always use your nose, this will help to keep the nasal passages open

Wow that's a lot of info, thanks! And I'm sure it will help in the future. :)

Edited by KenBrace