Sign in to follow this  
sunchild

beginning an internal-practice

after making my introductory post, that included a bit of back story and my main motive for consulting with the taobums community, i was recommended to take up an internal-practice.

i'd like to know which internal practices you all would recommended and that are free of charge. i don't have the transportation to commute from my area to a capable teacher, nor do i have any money with which i could pay them for their services.

the two recommendations i received were both forms of qigong.

through my research on qigong it seems to be a practice where a physical teacher is highly recommended, especially when qigong 'madness' or energy imbalances occur. also having a teacher present is 'good' for making sure your form is correct/fluid?

sometimes things get a bit electric, would appreciate any advice :)

ps- how hard is it to begin to settle into the full lotus position.

i hear full-lotus is like the 'ultimate meditative position' :P

Hello sunchild.

A teacher is a good idea if you can find one.

Not always easy, it depends where you live I suppose and what's available that you can get to.

Here's a link to a free online book , it's by the Abbot of a Zen monastery in England and has a great chapter on different positions for meditating.

http://www.throssel.org.uk/sitting-buddha-book

QiGong suits me but there are so many ways to cultivate and so much on offer that you can spend ages shopping around and spend quite a lot of money too.

It is interesting looking around at what is on offer for sure and maybe trying out some simple cultivation for yourself to see how it goes.

One secular cultivation with very little spiritual 'baggage' at all is Mindfulness and there is a lot about that online.

Here's a link and there's a 'stress test' you can do too.

http://bemindful.co.uk/

Some like to try the stress test before doing mindfulness and see what they score then do it again after a while cultivating Mindfulness and seeing if there has been a change.

Main thing is to do what is comfortable to you and take it easy at your own pace without 'forcing' anything.

All success to your journey.

Edited by GrandmasterP

To learn Chi Kung, first, you need to ask yourself this silly question. Can I do abdominal breathing....??? If not, then, find out how to get there or just do it by practice. As soon you can do it, you have reached the first milestone.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sign in to follow this