Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

for thouse in the usa or other western areas were this is different?

So for you guys that are not ordained or the like and dont live in india or china or such, The people that live in the usa and other western worlds do you guys ever wear a shawl or sarrong or other "non-western clothing" out in your day to day activity?

The need to wear some type of cloths that is different from those around you, normally points to being self identified with some particular thing.

People who self identify as 'Hippies' are more inclined to wear hippie clothing than someone who isn't self identified as a hippie.

The need to wear some type of cloths that is different from those around you, normally points to being self identified with some particular thing.

People who self identify as 'Hippies' are more inclined to wear hippie clothing than someone who isn't self identified as a hippie.

ok, then sign me up to the free-balling Kramer Sect.....

This is our Avatar!

I often wear Indian Kurtas (I think that's what they're called) because they're comfortable and really great for qigong. No identity stuff going on here though

I normally go out looking like I am someone in need just to see and feel the reaction of those seeing one who appears to be in need.

I have found that most people do not judge me based on my outer appearance but there are others, generally the more affluent, who try to treat me in a disrespectful manner and then I get all over their ass.

• Like 1

I have QiGong 'teacher' pyjamas in a fetching black silk but seldom bother wearing them to cultivate in.

The guy who taught me to teach the 8 strands has those as 'added value'. You pay for the training and get the pyjamas included whether you want those or not.

They have white cuffs to the sleeves which is apparently the done thing for teachers.

Also a big badge sewn on from the school I learnt in. No idea what that says as it's in Chinese.

Might be " Look what we got this fat bald English guy to buy! ROFL" for all I know.

I look and feel like a bit of a plonker in them if truth be told.

What I do wear when teaching is a black polo shirt with the school logo on plus my name.

Loose double pleat black Chinos for pants complete the ensemble.

Saves changing at teaching venues.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

While I learned to be comfortable walking to and from classes in a long skirtlike hakama, in general I prefer blending in to my environment.

I got talking with a girl at the bus stop the other day. I soom learned that she was into politics and is a Conservative and intern for our local MP. She then said, "let me guess, you're a liberal".

Close enough I guess. Rock dude, hippie, Taoist or whatever, my clothing certainly just says "leftie" more than deep philosophical/spiritual guy.

• Like 1

I normally go out looking like I am someone in need just to see and feel the reaction of those seeing one who appears to be in need.

I have found that most people do not judge me based on my outer appearance but there are others, generally the more affluent, who try to treat me in a disrespectful manner and then I get all over their ass.

Be honest. Are you asking for spare change? :P

• Like 1

Buddha can you spare a dime? :-)

NO! Change must come from within.

Now about that hotdog.

• Like 5

Ordained ? I was ordained but the robes I wore when acting as a priest - I would NEVER wear in public ... if that is what you mean ?

No longer being active (although not ex-communicated) I am not sure whether I am still 'ordained' or not ... I still wouldnt wear those robes ... I think they have gone mouldy in the shed wardrobe.

But I will easily wear non-western clothing in 'day-to-day' activities, as most are private and out in my hermitage, gardening and such, if its warm I am likely to wear a sarong, or whatever or be naked.

I dont wear a sarong or 'unusual clothes' or go naked to town (unless by 'accident' ;) ) .

I see people in town with all sorts of wanky pretentious getups. Including ones that try to appear like poor hippies, that have THE RICHEST parents ( I mean nationally famous rich) ... {oh boo hoo hoo mummy the car got a dint ... no worries, a new one is on the way darling - I hope it wasnt too stressful?}

Some think I am a dag as my cloths are not too fancy nor obviously hippy poor with corny homemade patchwork (where they were never worn out) ... but they are cheap and comfortable and usually second hand.

I went to a meeting the other day and everyone took their shoes off at the door of the house ... so did I (sandals) and sat in the lounge room ... then I noticed my feet were filthy ! :D (I went to the garden on the way there to meeting to pick some fresh veggies for the people at the meeting and it was a bit mud squisshy.)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this