Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Intellectualism is for wimps

A certain mega-poster, insisting that the inability to see reality is a survival skill …is therefore somehow an acceptable status quo~ hahahhahhahahhahahahhaaaa!!!

Ones such as this haven't been properly naked and/or scared (and loving it) in far too long a time~ something I recommend highly!!

This from a thread on the subject of the nature of awareness in the taoist section that has been in a state of occupation for some time.

It is simply (and none other than) using the essence directly with no intermediary. There is no way to work with essence unless one has activated the nonpsychological, which is not within the perveance of relativistic perception.

It is direct perception of reality as is. This is nothing other than immortalism in the taoist sense, and the Great Vehicle in the buddhist sense.

Unless one is willing to let go of self-reflective (selfish is the word, without any emotionalist values) attachment to a speculative relationship with phenomena, one simply lacks the basic qualification to enter into the inconceivability of the Way.

The same mentality which abhors stripping itself of an ego-reinforcing intellectualism in the face of phenomena also cannot face the prospect of a selfless quality that also strips phenomena of its speculative potential.

In order to acknowledge and assume the function of enlightening unity, one must oneself already have no ulterior motives or conceptual notions pending to create separation where there is none to begin with.

Most people would rather die than give up their imaginary concepts and also positively fear that they might just miss out on something— something they don't yet know.

When one relinquishes this conceptual fear, they are admitting that there is, in fact, nothing to know— therefore nothing to miss out on. And that, evidently, is too much to bear/bare. This is being totally vulnerable to what is.

Intellectualism is basically the dishonest way to hide from reality as is while attempting to observe it /appear to understand (unsuccessfully) otherwise.

Another thing the recreational intellectuals fear is realizing anything, which would then disambiguate them from any further speculative pastimes and require the INDIVUAL to assume the totality of his experience without the veil of what passes for (in the sport of recreational speculation) an inconsequential objectivity.

Essence must be dealt with directly without intermediary for one to assume its enlightening function.

Evidently, these intellectualists are much too selfish to allow that… heehee!!

These are people who have never abandoned themselves en total~ not even to the present. And that is missing out on something …without beginning, the present is the most exquisite, terrifying, wonderous, erotically freeing moment there will ever be.

ed note: italicize "inconsequential" in 12th paragraph

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 11

I find it hard to understand this post. Maybe because it's late and I'm tired. I think the faculty of intellect is an important one though, and helps us separate illusion from truth, which is something that's highly important in maya and indeed in the whole spiritual world of ideas, concepts and thought.

Edited by amoyaan
  • Like 1

If that wasn't intellectualism attacking itself - than i must be in no mind...

Without intellect we are just the all. Which is just eternally fine - but we wanted to experience ourselves.

Without the current structure allness/spirit nestled into form - we just are - ego is required in order to experience whatever "reality" you "create". Only when each and everyone of us is ready will we return to the original state.

Be cautious in your criticism of leopards lest you grow spots yourself.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

There is a Western intellectual tradition that is both intellectually rigorous and deeply mystical and that is the Platonic tradition,especially as explicated by Plotinus and also Proclus. Others contributed, but these are the 'Three Ps' of Western Mystical Philosophy, and they are not wimps.

• Like 7

There is a Western intellectual tradition that is both intellectually rigorous and deeply mystical and that is the Platonic tradition,especially as explicated by Plotinus and also Proclus. Others contributed, but these are the 'Three Ps' of Western Mystical Philosophy, and they are not wimps.

The 3 P's knew that thinking and just being were two ends of the same thing (yin/yang) - and moreover thy 3 P's knew that a satiated mind (input with correct knowledge) would allow the supreme power of beingness to envelop them.

In other word the 3 P's knew the 6 P'S (Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance).

• Like 2

In other word the 3 P's knew the 6 P'S (Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance).

A well taken point.

The Platonic tradition is also deeply and profoundly 'holistic'. Speaking to the whole person, it addresses the mind as a potential ally and by a rigorous examination of all accepted 'truth' both clears the ground and lays the foundation for reaching a direct apprehension of it.

• Like 2

If that wasn't intellectualism attacking itself - than i must be in no mind...

Without intellect we are just the all. Which is just eternally fine - but we wanted to experience ourselves.

Without the current structure allness/spirit nestled into form - we just are - ego is required in order to experience whatever "reality" you "create". Only when each and everyone of us is ready will we return to the original state.

Thanks for sharing!

Intellect is to set the path. It's not the destination.

Let go of the false and only the true will remain. What is there to think about?

• Like 1

Let go of the false and only the true will remain. What is there to think about?

I'll have to think about that one...

• Like 3

I'll have to think about that one...

-_-

• Like 1

A certain mega-poster, insisting that the inability to see reality is a survival skill …is therefore somehow an acceptable status quo~ hahahhahhahahhahahahhaaaa!!!

That is not a true statement and therefore makes your entire post meaningless.

However, I will now go back and read the rest of it just to see what concept you are attempting to put forth using an untruth as the vehicle.

• Like 1

I find it hard to understand this post. Maybe because it's late and I'm tired. I think the faculty of intellect is an important one though, and helps us separate illusion from truth, which is something that's highly important in maya and indeed in the whole spiritual world of ideas, concepts and thought.

That is because you are not me. The entire post was an attempt at discrediting me and my understandings.

And I agree with the remainder of your post.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing!

Or at least remember that when you are staring into the abyss that the abyss is staring back at you.

There is no destination. There is only the "now" moment.

Agree with your second paragraph.

• Like 1

The intellect works in concepts, and a concept is a representation of a thing not the thing itself, therefore the intellect is always one step removed from directly experiencing reality as it is, no matter how wonderful or genius the concept created is its never the real thing. To live in the intellect is to live in a virtual reality where the mind re-creates the direct experience of life and then adds a few extra meanings and thoughts in for the ride, and we mistake this re-creation for reality, which is why the world is insane and deluded because the majority of us live in this virtual reality simulator most of the time.

• Like 1

haha, miss out on something...how can that happen, got all the universe in no time :lol:

The intellect works in concepts, and a concept is a representation of a thing not the thing itself, therefore the intellect is always one step removed from directly experiencing reality as it is, no matter how wonderful or genius the concept created is its never the real thing. To live in the intellect is to live in a virtual reality where the mind recreates the direct experience of life and then adds a few extra meanings and thoughts in for the ride, and we mistake this recreation for reality, which is why the world is insane and deluded because the majority of us live in this virtual reality simulator most of the time.

I could almost agreee with you but I don't.

I do agree that once we start intellectualizing over what we have experienced we are in fact adding to or removing from the experience itself. I have NEVER denied this. But we all do it. YES! ALL OF US DO IT!

(Pleaese excuss me for speaking so loudly.)

Yes, we make errors in our intellectualizing. We all do that. I venture to state that there is not one of us who is perfect.

However, to attempt to intellectually understand the experiences we have had is good. Why did I feel this way about this person? That is the question we should ask regarding any experience we have about anything. It is the only way we will truely understand ourself.

On the other hand, if we are just passing through and feel that nothing matters then yeah, go ahead on.

To me, things matter. I want to know the 'why?' of the things that effect my life. For that I must use logic and rational, unbiased, thinking. To think that I am Hitler just because we are of the same source is just plain stupid. We have never been connected in any shape, manner, or form.

• Like 1

haha, miss out on something...how can that happen, got all the universe in no time :lol:

Hehehe. You didn't miss out on anything. It's all been said before. (I don't mind repeating myself.)

I could almost agreee with you but I don't.

I do agree that once we start intellectualizing over what we have experienced we are in fact adding to or removing from the experience itself. I have NEVER denied this. But we all do it. YES! ALL OF US DO IT!

(Pleaese excuss me for speaking so loudly.)

Yes, we make errors in our intellectualizing. We all do that. I venture to state that there is not one of us who is perfect.

However, to attempt to intellectually understand the experiences we have had is good. Why did I feel this way about this person? That is the question we should ask regarding any experience we have about anything. It is the only way we will truely understand ourself.

On the other hand, if we are just passing through and feel that nothing matters then yeah, go ahead on.

To me, things matter. I want to know the 'why?' of the things that effect my life. For that I must use logic and rational, unbiased, thinking. To think that I am Hitler just because we are of the same source is just plain stupid. We have never been connected in any shape, manner, or form.

My take is that I don't think you will ever understand life or understand yourself by intellectualising about it, because that intellectualising is always going to be one step removed from directly feeling, sensing, experiencing life. By the time you have created an intellectual concept around it the thing might have changed. Experiencing life directly things exist for themselves and are self explanatory, there is not necessarily any need to add anything to it

The intellectual mind is a tool, but it isn't who you are and can't work out who you are. There is a primordial intelligent consciousness which arises before the intellectual mind.

• Like 2

My take is ...

I have no real disagreement with what you have said. It is valid I think. I just like to go that one step further.

"An unexamined life is not worth living."

(Plato's Apology - recollecting the speech Socrates gave at his trial).

Reflection is healthy.

Maybe we're getting hung on that sticky 'I' - word Intellectualism.

It is a concept that brings baggage , some folks, for one reason or another have a negative image of ' Intellectuals' hence a suspicion of ' Intellectualism'.

We all of us think about stuff and some of us reflect, one way or another; too.

No biggie - just think and reflect as any might choose to do.

We can safely leave labelling to those who feel comfortable in categorising others in order to feel more secure in their own self appointed niche.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this