zerostao

I Ching experiences

do you have any specific experiences when seeking counsel from the I Ching that were an obvious and direct benefit from having done so?

or , have any other interesting I Ching experiences to share?

• Like 4

one of the very first things I sought I Ching counsel about, was if I should become an internal martial arts student of an online teacher that had dvds available for instruction. and I tossed the coins and cast my hexagram.

it had a changing line that I read and interpreted it to mean, yes, take up with this teacher it will be very useful for future events and the changing line had the cast hexagram change to another hexagram that spoke of a flood over the tree tops.

so I ordered the dvds and still enjoy playing with them. and within 6 weeks of tossing those coins a "once in 200 year flood" hit a few places in eastern Kentucky and I ended up with a cottage all my own becoz of that flood. no one else wanted the hassle to deal with the house.

I thought ok, that is kinda wild how the I Ching mentioned a serious flood--probably some allegorical meaning intended-- but a very literal event occurred and it had major significance in my life. so again I sought counsel about the house. The hexagram said something along the lines of "the wanderer finds a shelter" and it said something about perseverance being rewarded.

• Like 8

a recent understanding the I Ching shared with me is that the level of "breakthrough" one attains is roughly proportional to the level of resoluteness one puts forth,

this is a summer of breakthru

• Like 4

a recent understanding the I Ching shared with me is that the level of "breakthrough" one attains is roughly proportional to the level of resoluteness one puts forth,

this is a summer of breakthru

It is related to a state of your spirit (Shen).

• Like 1

ime, the i ching is like a wise friend who always tells it to me straight,

realistic to the point of being a bit uncomfortable.

• Like 7

if anyone looks thru our interview section, those interviewed express how important the I Ching is.........

• Like 1

one of the very first things I sought I Ching counsel about, was if I should become an internal martial arts student of an online teacher that had dvds available for instruction. and I tossed the coins and cast my hexagram.

it had a changing line that I read and interpreted it to mean, yes, take up with this teacher it will be very useful for future events and the changing line had the cast hexagram change to another hexagram that spoke of a flood over the tree tops.

so I ordered the dvds and still enjoy playing with them. and within 6 weeks of tossing those coins a "once in 200 year flood" hit a few places in eastern Kentucky and I ended up with a cottage all my own becoz of that flood. no one else wanted the hassle to deal with the house.

I thought ok, that is kinda wild how the I Ching mentioned a serious flood--probably some allegorical meaning intended-- but a very literal event occurred and it had major significance in my life. so again I sought counsel about the house. The hexagram said something along the lines of "the wanderer finds a shelter" and it said something about perseverance being rewarded.

Amazing. I had a literal flood forecast from the I Ching too, and moreover, the confirmation of it being literal came within fifteen minutes of the reading. It took place in the rain forest, and the reading was about staying where we were for a few more days or moving to a different place for the next few days. The I Ching essentially told me, whatever you decide is fine provided you make up your mind right now, there's a flood coming. I was trying to understand what this referred to and then in fifteen minutes, our guide knocks on the door and says, there's a flood coming, the water in the river is going up at such and such rate of inches per hour, and at this rate, if we don't leave right now, we will have to stay here for nobody knows how long, the trail will be submerged.

• Like 7

I just made a cast for the day. It happens to be just about exactly the full moon right now... and I get hexagram 1, all yang.

I love how absolutely literal the yijing can be.

Amazing about the flood situations!

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 6

This week I had to make a difficult decision. It was a choice between accepting 1/4 the value of something or spending years wrapped up in litigation, unable to move forward.

This is what I received- Hexagram 8 (union) moving into Hexagram 35 (prosperity)

Seems like a pretty straight forward and clear answer.

Its amazing how I have never received an inaccurate picture or guidance from the I Ching. The biggest difficulty is understanding the real implications of what it is saying.

• Like 5

Even though I love and am fascinated by the I Ching, I actually don't consult it very much. I would have thought ten times a year max.

I only use it when I am seriously confused as to what is happening/how to proceed etc. If the situation is quite fluid I might use it 3 times a week, and then when the situation is stable go months without it.

Is anyone else like this? Or have people found a way of making it part of their everyday lives?

• Like 4

Even though I love and am fascinated by the I Ching, I actually don't consult it very much. I would have thought ten times a year max.

I only use it when I am seriously confused as to what is happening/how to proceed etc. If the situation is quite fluid I might use it 3 times a week, and then when the situation is stable go months without it.

Is anyone else like this? Or have people found a way of making it part of their everyday lives?

I study it quite a lot. But I consult it a very few times. I feel too frequent consultations are not a great idea. Sometimes it will tell you to ask again or ask another related question - so its good to follow this advice. I tend to use coins but if there's something major then I use stalks - which takes a lot longer and makes you concentrate.

• Like 3

I tend to use coins but if there's something major then I use stalks - which takes a lot longer and makes you concentrate.

I tell you something else that completely amazed me. One time I used a random generator on the deoxy website and found it every bit as useful and accurate. For me it seems to make no difference what method I use. It's almost like the universe will supply me with my reading no matter what I do about it!

It just seems that the power of the I Ching is so deeply mystical.

• Like 4

I tell you something else that completely amazed me. One time I used a random generator on the deoxy website and found it every bit as useful and accurate. For me it seems to make no difference what method I use. It's almost like the universe will supply me with my reading no matter what I do about it!

It just seems that the power of the I Ching is so deeply mystical.

Well yes, I agree. In the past I have used this website http://www.ichingonline.net/index.php with good results. All I was meaning to say is that the method of consultation can help you tune in to it.

• Like 4

I use seeds, but I'll approach my use of them in different ways. Sometimes I'll do daily readings or mood readings every day for months, where I'll simply draw piles of seeds without even taking time to slow down and breathe. Other times I'll sit and ponder a question for a while, slow my breath and really tune in to a deeper layer. Other times I'll meditate for a while.

The deeper and clearer I can take myself, the less impact the surface level energies in my daily circumstances will have on the advice given. A clear question from a clear state of mind leads to an answer that can be trusted clearly.

Otherwise an answer might come amidst advice on how to approach the question from whatever awkward position your life might be in at the moment.... ie, worried about a silly tiff with a coworker and that giant task we're about to tackle when we login, while still feeling the emotions of that movie we watched last night mixed in with the past three songs to play on the radio, all after eating wild mushrooms while hanging upside down from the chandelier.

I find it illuminating to get reads on the surface level temporal stuff too, but it is important to understand how to clear the air before asking a particular question. Often the temporal reads offer advice on how to clear the air.

• Like 6

Daeluin - wow, really interesting. So what you're saying is that the slower meditative methods of casting aid interpretation of the hexagram rather than its production. Never thought of it like that but it makes a lot of sense. I think you could clear your mind first and still use a random generator.

• Like 2

I'm saying clearer focus produces a clearer answer, which has the benefit of clearer interpretation.

Sharpening the pencil results in finer lines.

And sometimes it is nice to look at how many pencils we're trying to hold at once... often more than we think.

• Like 4

After putting it off for awhile i finally purchaced a copy of a translation of the I Ching. I recently consulted The Book of Changes for 2 different instances and both times i was given concise and pertinent advice. I must say, the Hexagrams are truly remarkable.

• Like 4

as this summer draws to an end, i reckon there were some breakthroughs.

i understand a little more about it today

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

taking counsel from the I Ching and following that counsel puts one on and keeps someone on the the path of Tao

• Like 3

now that finals are winding down,, i am thinking that me and I Ching will spend quality time together over the next 6 weeks, until a new semester begins. how uncanny that the I Ching speaks directly to the specifics of my inquiries, and what to do specifically to overcome my flaws.

• Like 1

taking counsel from the I Ching and following that counsel puts one on and keeps someone on the the path of Tao

that's how I felt reading 365 tao (almost) every day for a year :)

• Like 2

Opening the Dragon Gate (tl Cleary), ch 10:

Another peculiarity of the method of using the I Ching Wang Liping learned from his Taoist mentors is that when divining a matter by means of a hexagram, one directs questions about the matter to the hexagram; so there is a host-guest relationship, which must be correctly defined in order to obtain a correct answer. The hexagram is the host; the self is the guest; when the self asks the host about something, it is necessary to place the sixty-four hexagrams outside, the sixty-four hexagrams forming a large sphere surrounding the self. This is the correct relationship. If the self is regarded as the host, and the sixty-four hexagrams are set up in one's own mind, then the answers to questions are all subjective, all in one's own mind -- then how is it possible to question things?

Earlier the method I suggested is subjective. Probably a decent way of exploring one's current subjectivity. But here is recommended a non-subjective method.

• Like 4

For the past 40+ years I have been consulting the IChing, but not on a regular basis by any means; I go through

periods of using the oracle's wisdom only when I am particularity troubled or feeling lost or unable to guide myself through a difficult situation. Then I may go for a couple of years even, until I feel the need to seek its counsel again.

The older I get, the more I am able to discern and understand its multiple layers of meaning and how it relates to me and my specific circumstances.

It is all about the level of awareness and how your interpretation of a hexagram can be applied to the situation you are asking about.

The IChing is the most important book I will ever have.

• Like 3

isnt it interesting how casting a hexagram captures the synchronicity of the moment and the moment's unique qualities and at the same time expresses to the inquirer in lucid clarity the supreme way to handle the moment

• Like 5

Situation.

A married couple -- friends whose friendship I value -- were planning to buy a new car.  They did an I Ching reading regarding two cars to which they eventually narrowed down their choices.  They have very little experience with the oracle, but there's an IPad app and they use that to ask questions.  The responses were confusing, so I was asked to interpret.

My interpretation: car No.1 -- a no no.  Not a mechanical problem, some existential one.  Possible accidents, possible break-in, possible adversities unforseen.

Car No.2 -- OK.  Nothing exciting, nothing untoward.

They did a few more readings because they really wanted car No.1.  Interpreted what they got as a go-ahead for it.  I know you can't do this -- if the I Ching gives a definite answer, you don't ask the same question the next day hoping for a different outcome.  You may even get it if the oracle wants to soothe you, the way an adult would with a child upset by a "no," but it won't count.  I know.  I used to do stuff like that myself ten years ago.  Not anymore.  

I was asked to interpret again, and said, OK, let me ask this: "What's my best course of action advising the inquiring party on this matter?"  The oracle responded, "at this point, your best course of action is to shut up."  I told the couple I'm not qualified to advise any further.  They bought Car No.1, a truly exciting one which they both love.

Why do you think the I Ching disqualified me from giving any further advise?   Curios to hear what you bums think. 

• Like 4