zenbrook

Knowing ignorance is strength

It's time for zenbrook to put his cards on the table.

Much as I would love to continue on my merry way herein, emboldened with a few collected pithy sayings, relevant scholarly quotes or even occasional actual insight into a thing, I have an admission to make.

Though I have spent many years learning, meditating and teaching - in both the Zen/Taoist and Tibetan Tantric traditions (before extreme disillusionment brought me back to normality) - I AM A COMPLETE AND UTTER AMATEUR WHEN IT COMES TO MY OWN PHYSICAL WELL-BEING.

There, I've said it.

Despite training in the tsa-lung system of the inner tantras I have always neglected my own physical being. I have severe arthritis (ankylosing spondylitis - AS) and associated side-effects which are gradually getting worse. As we speak I'm off work with a bad attack of uveitis - an eye inflammation connected with the AS. Bad experiences with certain teachers within the Tibetan tradition (something I'd prefer not to discuss publicly) mean that I have had to leave behind much of what I learned as a tantrika and choose to remain isolated from both that tradition and spiritual groups as a whole. Psychologically / spiritually I have again made peace with myself and returned to the philosophically oriented Taoism of my roots. Physically, I'm falling apart!

Tao Bums is the only contact I have with people interested in spiritual thought and practice and, despite initial doubts, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I have been made to feel welcome, appreciated and challenged - in equal measure - and that has both surprised and delighted me. You are good people :)

So now it is to you that I turn seeking advice. What kind of daily healing routine could I follow (allowing that I work full-time) that I could learn myself and that could help me to manage my arthritis? Are there any books you could recommend or do you think a teacher is absolutely necessary? What about diet? Any tips? A one-time full-bloodied practitioner of sexual tantra, I now find myself in the unenviable position of experiencing lack of sexual energy.... any ideas?

I guess that'll do for now. Any help will be most gratefully received.

Peace,

ZenB

So now it is to you that I turn seeking advice. What kind of daily healing routine could I follow (allowing that I work full-time) that I could learn myself and that could help me to manage my arthritis? Are there any books you could recommend or do you think a teacher is absolutely necessary? What about diet? Any tips? A one-time full-bloodied practitioner of sexual tantra, I now find myself in the unenviable position of experiencing lack of sexual energy.... any ideas?

I think I've mentioned the oils before (x-factor butter oil and good quality cod-liver oil) - I bought these for my grandad for his heart and his heart did improve a little although he still has high blood pressure (his terrible breathing pattern doesn't help) - but he noticed a dramatic difference in his ease of movement and his joints - his artheritis wasn't painful and he felt much more mobile.

My grandmother (on the other side) had a brittle bone problem so she got cod liver oil and I got her some fulvic minerals - this improved her bone conditions a lot and getting better - she also felt more mobile and her arthiritis wasn't bothering her and still doesn't (2 years on).

I've heard people have great results with glucosamine too...

In terms of excersise I'd recommend going straight to the joints with scott sonnon's intuflow - it's one of my favourite practices. It takes maximum 30 minutes to do the whole thing. I take 20. Give your joints a light slapping afterwards.

I'd also do Some sort of energy practice Donna Eden's energy routine is very quick (5 mins), simple and far reaching. If you have more time you should invest in a good form you'll stick to...

I really enjoy your presence here :)

Go here: http://www.taoofwellness.com/index.htm

I have personally seen both Dr. Maoshing Ni and Dr. Daoshing Ni accomplish things that some might call medical miracles. Once for me and a couple other times for other people (completely different issues) as well. I mean permanent physical changes that western medicine would say is very improbable.

If you can't go to Tao of Wellness, ask them for referral to someone in your area, a graduate of their Yo San University: http://www.yosan.edu/

For myself personally I had severe and debilitating sarcoidosis diagnosed as "early onset rheumatiod arthritis." After a few years of the disease getting progressively worse, and western doctors giving the same old diagnosis and same old drugs (numb the pain without treating the cause), I went to see Dr. Maoshing Ni. After four months of treatment - acupuncture and herbal tea - I have been completely disease and symptom free. That was 20 years ago, and I'm still free of any arthritic conditions.

This long ago experience with Taoist based Chinese medicine was the genesis of my study of the Tao. Oddly enough the illness created opportunity for me.

I wish you well,

Really sorry to hear about your health problem, Zenbrook. Why can't bad things stop happening to good people! :(:)

Q:

do you have/ did you ever have eczema or psoriasis? It occasionally predates AS, and in case it does, I might know what to do diet-wise with some precision.

AS is occasionally triggered by prescription meds (especially corticosteroids, antibiotics, immunization shots, and many other toxic goodies) and, to my knowledge, responds to dedicated all-around liver detox protocols better than to most other interventions. However, an important strategy to consider would be complete elimination of all gluten-containing grains and any and all products made of these.

The reason is that a lectin (a type of protein) found in wheat and all its relatives has a special affinity to the cartilage of the joints and gets deposited there, whereupon some people's immune systems (dazed and confused by childhood vaccinations) proceed to mistake it for some ancient pathogen or other (this protein is structually similar enough to some viruses, e.g., to be erroneously "recognized" as one of them by a confused immune system). If this happens, the immune system will attack the joints, and keep doing it for as long as you eat wheat and wheat-related (and other gluten-containing) grains, i.e., in a typical Western diet, daily. Much of arthritis out there is exactly of this scenario, due to the fact that modern wheat has been selectively bred for higher-than-normal protein content. It was supposed to make it more nutritious. "Normal" wheat had 2% protein, which didn't pose a problem for most people. "New and improved" wheat has up to 24% -- which translates into a twelvefold dose of the harmful lectin in each mouthful. Many a joint has ached from the assault! The according dietary changes would have to be rather drastic in this gluten-gobbling part of the world (you'd fare better in many parts of Asia, :) with their gluten-free rice for staple food). However, I've seen several "miraculous" cures brought about by this one dietary change alone.

do you have/ did you ever have eczema or psoriasis? It occasionally predates AS, and in case it does, I might know what to do diet-wise with some precision.

AS is occasionally triggered by prescription meds (especially corticosteroids, antibiotics, immunization shots, and many other toxic goodies) and, to my knowledge, responds to dedicated all-around liver detox protocols better than to most other interventions. However, an important strategy to consider would be complete elimination of all gluten-containing grains and any and all products made of these.

Yes - mild attacks of psoriasis.

I also had weak kidneys as a child - in and out of hospital, blood in urine, lots of antibiotics - which I guess hasn't helped.

So it'd be a gluten-free diet? And liver-detox? Any good resources on this?

Many thanks for your help - and to freeform and bct. I'm hoping to start up a Personal Practice Discussion soon, so I guess I can feedback via that. I'd like to make a positive out of a negative on this one, instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself! Any and all advice is muchly appreciated!

Warm regards,

ZenB

Hey ZenB

Early (even in the womb) childhood infections can sometimes take up permanent residence in the body leading to a variety of both hyper and hypo immune responses manifesting in various ways including those you mentioned.

Not saying that this is 'the cause' - I just want to say that it is a possibility

In adition to the excellent info already provided, by freeform, beancurdturtle and taomeow. you might want to contact/check out Karens' site

http://www.guideforselfhealing.com/

Karen is a taobums resident practitioner with a wealth of knowledge and a warm heart to match.

Best mate.

mat

Hi Zenbrook

have you heard of zhan zhuang (Jan Jong). Its a chinese qi gong energy exercise

Its commonly known as 'Standing Still' and is used apparently to good effect with people who suffer from many disorders including arthritis.

I have used it for 12 years now and although I do not suffer from any particular disorder its practice I find is extremely beneficial.

There is a book called 'the way of energy' by master lam kam chuen isbn 1-85675-020-5

I'm not sure if there is a dvd.

you might want to contact/check out Karens' site

http://www.guideforselfhealing.com/

Karen is a taobums resident practitioner with a wealth of knowledge and a warm heart to match.

Yes - I second that! Karen is seriously great and very erudite in health matters.

The personal practice journal is a great idea. And stopping feeling like a victim is an even better one! Some good can definately come of this.

I sure do know how to fix low sexual energy! I think I have already posted my entire diet online here someplace.

Here are studies on using fish oil in treating arthritis

http://www.oilofpisces.com/rheumatoidarthritis.html

wait but that's rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know about your kind.

Here's one study:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~c...ll~jumptype=rss

Edited by witch

Here are studies on using fish oil in treating arthritis

http://www.oilofpisces.com/rheumatoidarthritis.html

wait but that's rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know about your kind.

May or may not help him, but it helps me, I have R.A. Well, "3 out of 4 doctors" say it's RA, one says it's inflammatory arthritis "but we use the same drugs you're taking to treat it". Whatever. I strongly suspect it's RA because it's largely episodal, and it attacks muscles and skin as well from time to time. The joint distress never lets up, but it has times it's much worse.

Is cod liver oil the same as "fish oil"? I got a bottle of CLO because my migraines appear mostly in early winter, which is the dark time here in the Appalachians. I figured the vitamiin D might be helpful with them. I don't mind the taste, which is temporary, but no matter how carefully I take it the smell that remains on my lips is awful - if I can smell it myself I've got to assume I smell like an ocean dock at low tide to others. Well, if it helps they'll just have to avoid me or get accustomed to it. ;)

I've tried the chondroitin/glucosamine supplements for several months, and I can't honestly tell if they help or not.

I live in the sticks, and can't find a TCM or similarly trained practitioner in traveling distance. I've got a bit of a "mechanical" problem right now that precludes much travel (a ruptured disc, maybe two) but when I've had that repaired I'll start looking again.I'll read your references again when my concentration isn't quite so rattled by large amounts of "owie".

Thank you.

I'm so tired of typing out the same stuff! :lol: Which would be medical warnings about drug interactions, etc. and dosing information. So see this thread:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=2552&st=20

Do not take cod liver oil in high doses. At the dosages of EPA and DHA I recommend you would be getting too much Vitamin A and D.

At the dosages I recommend you should see a marked improvement within several weeks, at least from my experience with other people with arthritis who started up on my diet.

I'm so tired of typing out the same stuff! :lol:

Me, I'm tired of the loudspeakers in WalMart. I suppose we all have our crosses to bear.

Do not take cod liver oil in high doses.

Had no intentions of doing so, I was just asking if cod liver oil was the same as what you were calling "fish oil". There's also a "fish oil" that consists primarily of sun-rotted fish in water. Right or not, it's still labeled fish oil. I can see your perspective on one point, however - any dose of cod liver oil can be considered a "large dose", if odure is an issue. ;)

Edited by Bob H

Hello ZenB,

you said you returned to the philosophically oriented taoism.

I guess I could make a point, that you will be confortable with.

Some taoist guy said the following: The secret is not what you put in, but what you put out/eliminate. Not acheiving, but loosing.

The arthritic condition is accompanied by an overall acidic inner environment.

A program on taoist nutrition that is currently applied in Tao Garden

involves total body cleansing and alkalinisation, detox and "killing of the three worms".

The information wasnt new, but the approach is original and compatible with modern lifestyle.

Google out:

- bowel management and colonic

- alkaline diet

- parasite programe

- trofology / trophology - the science of combining foods

Amoung the authors with good insight: Dr. Jensen, Dr. Young (Sick and Tired - best book, with lots of explanation).

Workout: Tai Chi! A small and soft form will gradually re-open the pathways and facilitate the cleaning and healing process.

The skin disease attack is a sign of a overburdened colon, too much toxicity.

I wouldnt worry too much about sexual energy. It will come back, if it has a clean space to stay. Mantak's methods work best for me.

Wish you well.

Edited by Little1

It's time for zenbrook to put his cards on the table.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and insight. It never fails to amaze at how much wisdom there is crammed into this little corner of cyberspace.

Rest assured I'm taking all comments seriously and will feedback progress (or lack thereof) in my new personal practice thingie, just as soon as I get one/get committed to writing one. In the meantime, please feel free to keep the posts rolling in :)

Peace & gratitude,

ZenB