ChiDragon

The Yi Jing Begins with the Eight Symbols of the Ba Gua

The three broken line trigram is the symbol of Earth, the most Yin or the yinest of the eight trigrams. Therefore, it goes to the most yin position which is the bottom of the Ba Gua(八卦). The bottom position is the most yin is because of the following:

1. It is the lowest point below one's feet which where Earth belongs.

2. It is in the north direction.

3. It is the darkest and coldest position in the night which made it the yinest position.

4. It is the winter position.

Edited by ChiDragon

So far, we have established the position of Heaven and Earth. These two sources do not move to the naked eyes. However, there are two do move in front of the naked eyes. They are the Sun and the Moon. The ancients used the Sun to determine the day and the moon for the lunar month.

The Fire symbol represents the Sun which rises from the east every morning. Thus the symbol is placed at the left side of the Ba Gua. The Water symbol represents the Moon which rises in the west at the beginning of each Lunar Month. Thus the symbol is placed at the right of the Ba Gua.

The Heaven, Earth, Sun, and Moon are the four sources which were used to establish the configuration of the Universe. I think by having some knowledge of how the Ba Gua was drawn, it would make it very interesting to study the Yijing.

Edited by ChiDragon

vertical energy - towards - up or down - book of change - from one point to another.

Tai

- -

- -

- -

---

---

---

hard under the soft

that's all folk's

all you need to know: for your supreme ultimate fist to swing

Sorry, this is not the right place to swing a fist.... :o

How would you like to integrate yourself with Nature....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Excellent tutorial Chi Dragon.

All respect.

I am enjoying and learning from this thread.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

The Heaven, Earth, Sun, and Moon are located in the four directions, therefore, they are recognized as the "Four Directional Trigrams(四正卦)". The other four are located in the corners of the Ba Gua. Hence, they are called the "Four Corner Trigrams(四隅卦)". The Four Corner Trigrams are the Wind, Thunder, Mountain, and Marsh which have something to do with the geography of China.

As the diagram have shown:
1. In the Southeastern corner of Ba Gua location is Marsh which where the most of the rice fields are in China.
2. In the Northeastern corner is Thunder which where it was seen most often in that part of China,.
3. In the Southwestern corner indicates where the Wind occurs most often in that part of China.
4. In the Northwestern corner indicates where the high Mountains are in China, like in the Tibet region.

@GrandmasterP
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Edited by ChiDragon

i am nature!

1.marsh represents joy - life among other things

2.thunder is movement - nerve system are sound.

3.Wind, is like dream or mind moving the trees

4.Mountains - stops, hindrance.

wind moves clouds to mountain and thunder rolls, lightning strikes mash and creates life. (when lightning strikes water amino acid occur - smallest form of life)

sorry maybe bad English, but I am Norwegian..... and we have Viking tales of Thor eternally battles Trolls. Thor is thunder and Trolls (Jotun, Rise and Dwarfs represents mountains, often specific mountains) same, same but different.

As all know!!! :D Tai Chi Chuan translates Supreme Ultimate Fist or pole, or post, or position.

many who train T.C.C are just doing Chi Chuan without the Tai. And that is good.. cause reaching central equilibrium, is a very taxing assignment to life.

understanding the order of change is one way

to improve your cultivating

then pay attention, behave

and take care!! :wub:

• Like 1

The Prisoner.....
If you are really trying to go in the application of the Yi Jing, would you please start your new thread. This thread is really a natural path to Yi Jing.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Is there a problem with that....???

just wanted to help .. . sorry ...

I have lot of experience with I ching/ba gua.

and I just don't understand what you mean with "natural path"

you see I use it directly when I train nei yeh forms and push hands

and when I am on my observations in nature

and to so called "divinations" I call it reminders or advises

I am trying to show you the gift/problems with synonyms due to translation, age, cultural affection.

but. again. i give you your thread back.

In regard to the attributes for the front and the back and how they were defined.....???

pic_yingyan3.gif

Let's look at the sides of the hill.
The sunny side of the hill was consider to be Yang which is the front.
The shadow side of the hill was considered to be Yin which is the back.

Ref: Yin-Yang

Edited by ChiDragon

Ok but both Richard John Lynn and Huang translate Dui as Lake.  

According to Wilhelm in hexagrams 38, 43, 45, 47, 50, 57, 58 and 62, Tui (Dui) is associated with the West, metal, injury and killing, amongst other things. I think the reason it is associated with metal is that, like a still lake, metal is reflective. In my view, Tui is associated with a body of still water while Kan, the other water trigram, is associated with moving water (plunging through a gorge, falling down as rain, water below ground at the lowest level). Tui is a daughter and a yin trigram while Kan is a son and a yang trigram, both polar opposites.

In my opinion, Tui would be more like a lake than a marsh but then I've seen plenty of aerial photos of various swamplands around the world and some are striking because of the juxtaposition of the sun reflecting off the water and the vegetation filling the rest of the scenery. It's just down at ground level that a marsh or swamp seems nonreflective. I think that maybe the main point to consider when reading the trigram Tui is to take into account the reflectivity of its symbology.

1.density- down

2.emptiness - up

3. fire -up

4.water - down

5.peak-   up

6. valley - down

7. wind-  down 

8. Sound - up Om -amen

each element has its own conjunction between density and emptiness

I’m thinking The Prisoner’s trigram principles match the trigrams as follows-

1.density- Kun - Earth

2.emptiness – Qian - Heaven

3. fire –Li - Fire

4.water – Kan - Water

5.peak-   Gen - Mountain

6. valley – Dui - Lake

7. wind-  Sun - Wind

8. sound – Zhen – Thunder

According to the yin and yang of each of the trigrams, their movements would be as follows-

Kun – yin – down

Qian – yang – up

Li – yin – down

Kan – yang – up

Gen – yang – up

Dui – yin – down

Sun – yin – down

Zhen – yang – up

The yin trigrams are mother and daughters while the yang trigrams are father and sons. The daughters have one yin line and the sons have one yang line.

The Prisoner has fire (middle daughter) going up and water (middle son) going down. Fire actually goes down and water (Kan) goes up. 

Have ChiDragon and The Prisoner actually been banned or is it just a tag they’ve added to their avatars? ChiDragon has posted some interesting material.