Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

singing bowl

tried making a video of my larger bowl, but the sound is too low for my computer to capture. the video just sounds almost silent. pretty lame

Edited by MooNiNite

these things are awesome! i dont think their sound is fully captured though

If you want the really good one check out a hung or hang ... made in Switzerland and VERY hard to get VERY hard (you have to apply, get approved and then wait for as long as they see fit as to wether you can even have one or not)

There is a link above after your clip finishes ... bottom row 2nd from the left ... the one like a UFO ...

• Like 1

Years ago, I found my singing bowl in Nepal - bought it directly from its maker near Swayambunath stupa, who had bowls stacked high. I bought a striker from him too, but he was reluctant to sell it, as he didn't have that many available. So, I had to make do with what he had and was willing to sell.

The bowl has a rich tone, but the striker I have is smooth wood and it's hard to get the right friction going sometimes to get the bowl to resonate. Don't know why I haven't tried sanding the striker a little to rough it up; I should try it.

A particularly cool and meditative effect is to fill the bowl partway with water and watch how the vibrations create fascinating ripples in the surface as you play the bowl.

Another meditative thing I like is simply to place the bowl on a hard surface and give it a tap, and focus on the ring until it totally fades out, It works best when the bowl is on a surface area that's smaller than the bottom of the bowl itself, such as a block, to minimize the contact of metal with surface... so the bowl resonates longer. When I am not using the striker effectively and can't get a good resonance to play the bowl, this is my "Plan B." :)

• Like 2

Years ago, I found my singing bowl in Nepal - bought it directly from its maker near Swayambunath stupa, who had bowls stacked high. I bought a striker from him too, but he was reluctant to sell it, as he didn't have that many available. So, I had to make do with what he had and was willing to sell.

The bowl has a rich tone, but the striker I have is smooth wood and it's hard to get the right friction going sometimes to get the bowl to resonate. Don't know why I haven't tried sanding the striker a little to rough it up; I should try it.

A particularly cool and meditative effect is to fill the bowl partway with water and watch how the vibrations create fascinating ripples in the surface as you play the bowl.

Another meditative thing I like is simply to place the bowl on a hard surface and give it a tap, and focus on the ring until it totally fades out, It works best when the bowl is on a surface area that's smaller than the bottom of the bowl itself, such as a block, to minimize the contact of metal with surface... so the bowl resonates longer. When I am not using the striker effectively and can't get a good resonance to play the bowl, this is my "Plan B." :)

. I had a chance to use a striker with a thin leather covering and it made a mellow tone, took the edge off from the bare wood. Later on I read that covering the wood with clear plastic shipping tape had the same effect. (Just a couple of wraps). I tried that and like it. I know it sounds weird using plastic tape to aid in meditative practice, when we would prefer something organic, but it works.
  • Like 2

tried making a video of my larger bowl, but the sound is too low for my computer to capture. the video just sounds almost silent. pretty lame

oooooone of these days I will bring my bowls to the studio and get a good mic on 'em in the vocal booth...

oooooone of these days I will bring my bowls to the studio and get a good mic on 'em in the vocal booth...

I recorded the background music for a qigong dvd with my bowls and gongs. A friend loaned me a pro mixer and mics. The sound was good enough for being put way in the background on an instructional dvd but as I mentioned earlier, just nothing like the live experience.

A big challenge is the noise made by the striker and or rubber. You hear either the thump or rubbing.

This is the most successful klangschalen recording that I have in my collection:

Deuter, Nada Himalaya

Thanks for the ideas, Eric23. I may try wrapping plastic or maybe a strip of thin rubber on the striker.

I recorded the background music for a qigong dvd with my bowls and gongs. A friend loaned me a pro mixer and mics. The sound was good enough for being put way in the background on an instructional dvd but as I mentioned earlier, just nothing like the live experience.

A big challenge is the noise made by the striker and or rubber. You hear either the thump or rubbing.

This is the most successful klangschalen recording that I have in my collection:

Deuter, Nada Himalaya

I love that album... use it frequently.

• Like 1

oh I own that disc also :lol: there's some digital skip noise on my CD though, seems to have been a burn error or something on the disc.

I'll betcha the Audio Technica AT405 or the Sure SM7b will get 'em good. :D

Sign in to follow this