Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Standing

I was looking up where the weilu point was and found this article (by T.K Shih) that I found interesting:http://www.qi-journal.com/Qigong.asp?-token.D=Article&-MaxRecords=1&-SkipRecords=3&-Op=bw&Name=Body%20Posture%20for%20Qigong%20Practitioners

THE FIVE PAIRS

A "pair" refers to the mutual relationship between one place and another. It is also the connection between points and lines. The five pairs include the nose pointing at the navel, the wei-lu point being opposite the heel, the kneecap pointing at the tip of the foot, the elbow facing the knee and the mental connection of the middle fingers. By using these five pairs, we can enable the movements of the body to be unified and the upper and lower parts of the body to be joined into an organic whole.BodyPosture4.jpg

1. The Nose and the Navel

A vertical line is made from the tip of the nose to the navel but this is not accomplished by lowering the head and pointing the nose. Rather, there is slight pulling of the two points after they are aligned. In this way the chin and throat are tucked in and the energy at the crown of the head is light and sensitive so that the head and body are connected. This can then cause the "head to be erect" at all times when moving the body forwards and backwards or turning it.

2. The Wei-Lu point Faces the Heel

A vertical line is made from the coccyx to the heels (it faces the middle point between the two heels when one is in the horse stance and faces the rear heel when doing the horse or sitting stance). However, when these points face each other, it is necessary to pay attention that the heel, wei-lu point and occipital bone in the back of the head connect into one line.When the body is in a sitting posture these points form a straight line, when doing a bow stance they form an oblique straight line and when the body is bent forwards they form an arched line. When the wei-lu is made to face the heels one must tuck in the hips and buttocks, raise the knees and sit with the body. The head, trunk, lower limbs, the upper and lower parts of the body, will be connected and one will be able to keep the "body straight."

3. The Knees Face the Tips of the Feet

This refers to having the force point of the vertical line from the middle of the kneecaps (bi-du points (ST35)) face the tips of the large toes (the yin-bai (SP1) points on the insides of the toe nails). The kneecaps must always face the tips of the feet whether one is doing a bow stance, empty stance or horse stance. When the tip of the foot is raised up it is hooked up and faces the kneecap. When the tip of the foot is turned the force point of the kneecap faces the tip of the foot. If one is able to have the knees face the tips of the feet, this can make the feet flat and the steps stable.

4. Mentally Connect the Middle Fingers

This involves connecting the middle line of the two arms. Regardless of the distance of the two hands or whether they are in front, in back, above or below, use the mind to connect the force points of the middle fingers (there is slight pulling). As a result of this, one will feel that the whole body is full and connected with the qi of the dan-tian. The mental connection of the middle fingers is the key to keeping the "two upper arms rounded."

5. The Elbows and Knees Face Each Other

The elbows are the centers of the arms while the knees are the centers of the legs. If one is able to pay attention to make the upper and lower connections of the elbows and knees whatever the movement is, then the arms and legs will not become stiff and straight. One can also then make the upper and lower parts of the body correspond each other, protect the ribs on both sides and integrate the head being erect, the body being straight, the feet being flat and the upper arms being rounded so as to cause the body posture to be connected into one organic whole.

#4 is a practice I 'discovered' doing Aikido that has added power to my movements. The article reminded me of the power of the little things. Small adjustments and ways of thinking, standing and moving that increase your power.

• Like 1

What kind of Chi Kung was that? Why is the UMB was not mentioned....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Sounds good.

Bending knees is easy enough to remember.

I had a go at learning a Tai Chi form over the summer with a teacher who runs a class in the local community centre.

Man you needed some memory for that.

Sounds good. Bending knees is easy enough to remember. I had a go at learning a Tai Chi form over the summer with a teacher who runs a class in the local community centre. Man you needed some memory for that.

Well, in Tai Ji is a different story, you will have to stand on one leg most of the time but still doesn't need memory. Your legs will remember it as long as you are standing with one leg at a time.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Re knee-bending, I've been doing it (and teaching it) differently for quite a while. I keep the knees relaxed and allow the sinking of the sacrum to initiate the "bending". So, the knees are passive, yin, and they simply succumb to the gentle force of the lowered center of gravity. And the Zhong/COG will shift more into the heels at that point.

In the 'wave' motion, the subtle raising/settling, the tilting of the pelvic basin, the legs are passively elongated when the pelvic bone drops and the sacrum rises, and COG wanders slightly toward the balls of the feet/bubbling wells.

So, no 'slight bending at the knees'. I basically don't even think about the knees except to check that they're alive and taking part in the meditation.

Re feet flat on the ground - to this I add yet another layer of complexity, lol, but I think it's important. Distribute the weight more to the outer edges of the feet, allowing the arches to arch (just a little, better too little than too much). It's a subtle shift that travels up the legs to the hips/kua. It's main function for me though, is keeping the feet better aligned and healthy.

I like strong feet :)

Of course I didn't invent any of this. It's just a result of collecting experiences from various sources and assimilating/integrating the things that work for me, and letting go the ballast.

• Like 1

yes, knees do what they are supposed to when other things are already doing what they're supposed to. for me its more important to relax the ankles.

feet on the ground, think inverse square law from the yongquan :lol:

• Like 2

Not 'gripping the ground' with the toes is good advice too.Lots of beginners do that in QiGong.

Yessssss, but...

Soaring Crane is one of those forms that actually calls to have the big toes angled inward, and not just subtly. At the same time, they will grip the ground somewhat.

I don't do it that way but I do show it to people in groups, so they know it's there.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this