TheExaltedRonin

out of curiosity...(sleep related)

What does general chinese medicine and taoism have to say about the length of sleep?

Obviously sleep when tired, but is there a more formal or suggested range? I see many topics discussing how Buddhist monks sleep a mere 4-6 hours.

Typical western medicine says 8-10 depending on age (not that the USA is a leading healthcare expert LOL).

Have you heard anything? I personally am thinking of clocking the 6-7 hour mark and taking naps if I feel tired.

What does general chinese medicine and taoism have to say about the length of sleep?

Obviously sleep when tired, but is there a more formal or suggested range? I see many topics discussing how Buddhist monks sleep a mere 4-6 hours.

Have you heard anything? I personally am thinking of clocking the 6-7 hour mark and taking naps if I feel tired.

The Taoists and Buddhists do Dazuo or Zazen performing Chi Kung which may be equivalent to some of the rest time at night. It's effect is even more refreshing than taken more hours sleeping at night.

Western doctors said, taken a 15 minutes nap during the day is equivalent to 2 hours sleep at night.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

I have never understood people who claim that you shouldn't sleep until you wake up not feeling tired. Some even claim that sleeping more will make you feel even more tired.

Sleep is about cleansing your brain of biochemical waste products. It all depends on how much waste you'd like to have in your brain, and how well you would like to function while awake as an effect of that.

If you think that you have more important things to do than clean your brain and avoid health riscs, then it must be important to you. If it's a matter of life and death, I suggest that you don't sleep at all.

Edited by Icedude

The Taoists and Buddhists do Dazuo or Zazen performing Chi Kung which may be equivalent to some of the rest time at night. It's effect is even more refreshing than taken more hours sleeping at night.

yup, long meditation = deep peace = less sleep needed. Energy work can = less sleep needed. Quiet mind during the day = less sleep needed. Quality sleep = less sleep needed. I'd add intense physical activity = more sleep needed.

• Like 1

Western doctors said, taken a 15 minutes nap during the day is equivalent to 2 hours sleep at night.

/\ :)

"May be" seems to depend on how efficient one has made his practices. The better in practice I get, the more efficient the practices, the longer I can stay immersed in them, the seemingly exponentially greater the benefit. While its analogous to sleep in some sense, it cant replace sleep until your practices are at a superlative depth of efficiency.

Beta Alpha Theta Delta

How low do you go when you're surfing with the Flow? :)

I'm heading down to OMega.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1