2100685358_fe66ebafd5_n.jpg

ImperialZenGarden.jpg

How-To-Create-Japanese-Zen-Gardens-08.jp

This is how they make me feel:

This is another rock garden:

zen-garden.jpg

Do you notice the difference?

I like picture number 3 and 5.

In my initial design of my larger fish pond area I had two mini Zen gardens using white sand but the frogs kept making a mess of them. I finally got tired of cleaning up after them and converted them to marble gardens.

For all this talk about "being like water", most rock gardens look like somebody dropped stones into a swamp.

I know that there's probably nothing really profound behind rock gardens, beyond landmarks, but that's no excuse to make them look like Confucius would make them.

For all this talk about "being like water", most rock gardens look like somebody dropped stones into a swamp.

I know that there's probably nothing really profound behind rock gardens, beyond landmarks, but that's no excuse to make them look like Confucius would make them.

Actually, I think the rock gardens are more Buddhist than Confucian. Certainly not Taoist.

Really, there's nothing happening in a rock garden. Perhaps this is the essence behind them. Tranquility - nothing happening.

For my ponds of course water is very important. (My fish like water.) But I want the area to be alive. That is why there are so many different aspects to my ponds. I would bet bored stiff with just a rock garden instead of my ponds.

I respectfully disagree, like in any art form there is reason for what is done. Some of them have clearer messages than others , some are more puzzling and some are just designed to ring true to an aesthetic sense. Copy-cats often dont understand whats going on , and yes ,the result is just rocks in a gravel pit. They arent for everyone , but even done wrong , they can be a low maintenance pleasant alternative for your outside space.

( or they can be a maint. nightmare )

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree, like in any art form there is reason for what is done.

That's just it: I don't see any reason behind raking everything parallely, and then jumping from stone to stone, raking circles around them. It is supposed to be a jumping exercise?

I'll demonstrate what I mean (although my hand is shaky and my mind somewhat flimsy):

"These are the rules: Draw parallel lines, and then draw a line around each stone."

"Yes, master!"

Result:

post-110885-0-37890000-1395405109_thumb.png
"Allow me to demonstrate how tao looks to me."
Result:
post-110885-0-16100600-1395405125_thumb.png
Edit:
There is also the stream variant:
post-110885-0-06638000-1395407913_thumb.png
Both of these gardens express a sense of understanding of serenity and harmony.
I wouldn't even stay at a temple that had a zen garden that looked like the raker was completely clueless. I find those gardens really disturbing.

post-110885-0-37890000-1395405109_thumb.png

post-110885-0-16100600-1395405125_thumb.png

post-110885-0-06638000-1395407913_thumb.png

Edited by Icedude

Actually, I think the rock gardens are more Buddhist than Confucian. Certainly not Taoist.

Really, there's nothing happening in a rock garden. Perhaps this is the essence behind them. Tranquility - nothing happening.

I wouldn't even stay at a temple that had a zen garden that looked like the raker was completely clueless. I find those gardens really disturbing.

Zen is an esoteric term for Buddhism. The purpose of the Zen garden, Japanese style, is to manifest tranquility, serenity and harmony.

Edited by ChiDragon

The purpose of the Zen garden, Japanese style, is to manifest tranquility, serenity and harmony.

Just sit down and leave the world alone. Same results. No mess.

Well, don't expect me to be disagreeing with what you just said.

Quite right, I was expecting just that. :)

• Like 1

That's just it: I don't see any reason behind raking everything parallely, and then jumping from stone to stone, raking circles around them. It is supposed to be a jumping exercise?

I'll demonstrate what I mean (although my hand is shaky and my mind somewhat flimsy):

"These are the rules: Draw parallel lines, and then draw a line around each stone."

"Yes, master!"

Result:

"Allow me to demonstrate how tao looks to me."
Result:
Edit:
There is also the stream variant:

No, Its not easy to get right , is it,

but you are at least somehow 'feeling' the layout,, right ?, so its just a matter of practice now :)

( and maybe some fresh insight if it comes along) dont forget though they they are usually intended to be viewed from a particular vantage , and birds eye may not be the one you want,, which I suppose would be the tendency for a small board. Oh and maybe use a bit of your native creativity other than rely on the overly brief instruction posted.

Edited by Stosh

Just sit down and leave the world alone. Same results. No mess.

All depends who said that. There may be peace at home for self comfort but was taken from somebody else's misery.

I love Japanese-style gardens and have experimented with Zen-style for years, and trained for a bit with a Japanese gardener who taught me the basics on the technical end. If you don't have the skills and knowhow for design, installation, maintenance and an understanding of how plants, soil and water work in Nature, then the Zen part won't ever work. I speak from first-hand experience in the "Bigtime Fail" department. lol

When I get some time this spring, once things are looking less winter-bedraggled, I'll take some photos and post them. Would love to see other people's work too if any of you have been doing this kind of gardening.

Edited by Age Sage
  • Like 2

All depends who said that. There may be peace at home for self comfort but was taken from somebody else's misery.

I do not stand accused of that. I can honestly say that over the past fifteen years I have taken from no one. Everything I need is offered to me and I kindly accept.

If you don't have the skills and knowhow for design, installation, maintenance and an understanding of how plants, soil and water work in Nature, then the Zen part won't ever work. I speak from first-hand experience in the "Bigtime Fail" department. lol

I'm in that department with you. It took me many years to find out which plants grow best during the different seasons and what the plants needed in order to thrive.

One of my garden areas if full with blooming Violas right now, all of which grew on their own from the seeds of last winter. I did have to move a few of them to fill out the area but that's all. They get plenty of sun and I water them about every other day and feed them lightly about every three weeks.

And right now my Rain Lilies are blooming like crazy. (They bloom in the fall and spring only. Summer is too hot and they are resting during the winter.)

• Like 1

I guess I have my own personal firm ideas about rock gardens being primarily rocks and sand because they are "permanent", beyond the lifespans of flowers and humans. Man, I thought I knew rock gardens.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour.

Icedude,

Rock and gravel are the heart of the garden, but in nature, unless it's in the most extreme climate zone, life will find a way to creep in. Lichens and mosses are "pioneer" plants that are the first to colonize a barren rockscape because they don't need soil to make their food or to extract water and nutrients, and they don't have roots. Grasses and small herbaceous plants will take root in gravel and sand, catching nutrients from dust and debris that is blown in on winds or which has adhered to raindrops or snowflakes.

Leaves and other organic debris will also get into the gravel, and if it's left untended will revert to what nature meant that place to be.

So, keeping a barren, pristine rock and gravel bed is artifice that requires a lot of hard work and maintenance. Zen temples have monks to do the work. ;)

Edited by Age Sage
  • Like 1

We have the house cat because we cannot house the tiger.

We have the zen garden because we don't have room for the ocean.

• Like 2

Rock gardens are supposed to be like bonsai mountains, with various shapes connoting water, lakes, and the space between them connoting silence.

It's like boxing though. Some people just see guys punching at each other, others see a chess game.

• Like 2

Here are some examples of "zen" (rock) gardens (that I carefully selected):

2100685358_fe66ebafd5_n.jpg

ImperialZenGarden.jpg

How-To-Create-Japanese-Zen-Gardens-08.jp

This is how they make me feel:

This is another rock garden:

zen-garden.jpg

Do you notice the difference?

I like pictures 2, 3 & 5!

I love Zen gardens!

We have one here in Ottawa at the Museum of Civilization. It's pretty cool.

I have a (MUCH) smaller one in my back yard. (about 20' x 30'... maybe...?)

£6.99 ( about $10).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BUDDHA-GARDEN-STONES-TEALIGHT-HOLDER/dp/B00E0JV4OS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396221929&sr=8-2&keywords=Zen+garden+in+a+box

Zen garden in a box from Amazon.

I prefer real flowers in the garden.

If we had a zen style garden the cat would never be out of it and not for any aesthetic purpose either!

Edited by GrandmasterP