Icedude

How to get spiritual without really trying

Hi Mod.

I think we are doing a pretty good job in these two threads at being civil considering the subject matter.

There are strong, very contradictory understandings regarding the subject matter. There will be conflict. Emotions will get involved. I think all involved are doing the best we can to not offer any personal insults.

The disagreements we have in these two threads should be talked about, I think, because it really concerns what Taoism and this board is all about. Some people get an incorrect image of what the board and its members are about. To allow the misunderstandings to persist without arguement would not be fair to the members or the board.

No! or Yes! depending on whether you want an argument.

I left before due to product- placement advertising passed off as posting and buttoned-up moderation in equal measure.

Some things seldom change for the better.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I'm back and this is the continuation:

But what would you know of that? You enjoy preaching to everyone how your knowledgeable and so on and so forth, but yet here you sit, doing multiple things the TTC says not to. How Taoist of you.

Now it is time for you to show me one thing I have said that the TTC says I should not do.

Now, let's look at your anger. How misconceived can you be (being a taoist and all) to take my words so literally? You know nothing of me and my practice but yet you pass judgment. What's the word I'm looking for here....hypocritical.

I have no anger. But the way you have said what you have said are very condemning of the members here at Taobums. I am not agruing on my own behalf. I really don't care all that much what you think of me. But I do care what you think of the other members and the board (forum) overall.

And I am not a taoist? Ah. The classic rebuttal of an argument. " well...well...your not "x"."

Come on now. Let's show our proper age.

No, I can't honest say whether you are or are not a Taoist. All I can say is that you do not have the right to tell other people, especially our members, that they are not Taoists.

My age is 73 years and a couple weeks. Yes, I may sometimes appear to be much younger and more hard-headed than I really am. I doubt you find many people 73 years old or older spending time on internet forusm.

Everyone is a taoist my dear. I feel competent and full with my knowledge regarding taoism. Because I do not subjecate myself to modern day teachings of taoism does not mean I am not one.

Okay! First sentence accepted as valid. And I actually have no problem with the rest of what you said. I don't expect you to be like anyone else. I expect you to be yourself. If what I have seen so far is your true nature then so be it. But so far, from my perspective you seem to be a bit too arguementive.

Review yourself. Take a step back and look at what you have said and where your misguided thoughts have gotten you. Not only have you put me on the "spot" as you said you wouldn't earlier, but you have failed to see my objective.

Ah! There you go judging me. You don't have that right, don't you know? I don't know yet what your objective is. Neither one of us is "on the spot" yet. As long as we stay away from personal insults we will be fine. We might get challenged by a moderator or this thread might get moved to the "Pit" but we are having a valid discussion attempting to gain an understanding.

I will heed my own words as well. I will review everything and see where I stand. But I understand this conversation to the fullest-as to where you do not.

Yes, we should not present ourself as a hypocrate. I haven't directly accused you of that and I don't feel you have done so to me. We have disagreements. We might be able to eventually gain agreement or we might just have to argee to disagree and stop confronting each other.

Practice real taoism for a moment-humor me if you will. Analyze, understand, and turn your judgment inwards. ;)

I have done that more time than you would be able to imagine. I feel I have not yet strayed from the path of Taoism. But understand that there are other philosophies as well as Taoism that make up my total belief system. Sometime the other aspects of "me" are more dominate than my Taoist influences.

And yes, I enjoy humor. I oftentimes try to cause others a smile or a laugh. But there is a time for humor and a time to be serious. Sure, I have on occasion missed the mark and tried to be humorous when it wasn't the right time for others. You will never see me trying to put my errors or responsibilities on others. I accept full responsibility for every word and every post I present on this forum.

I left before due to product- placement advertising passed off as posting and buttoned-up moderation in equal measure.

Some things seldom change for the better.

Can I interest you in buy one get one free Tesco brand instant enlightenment?

• Like 2

And yes, I enjoy humor. I oftentimes try to cause others a smile or a laugh. But there is a time for humor and a time to be serious. Sure, I have on occasion missed the mark and tried to be humorous when it wasn't the right time for others. You will never see me trying to put my errors or responsibilities on others. I accept full responsibility for every word and every post I present on this forum.

How can you accept full responsibility, when you don't seem to possess the necessary watch to tell what time it is? There seems to be all these times to be different emotions, and I sure don't have a watch either, but I wouldn't dream of accepting full responsibility for every word and post I present on a forum. That's like claiming that your posts are childproof, flameproof and generally omniproof. Some of your posts will poke someones eye out sooner or later, and you'll end up taking responsibility for being a sadistical eye gouger.

• Like 1

How can you accept full responsibility, when you don't seem to possess the necessary watch to tell what time it is? There seems to be all these times to be different emotions, and I sure don't have a watch either, but I wouldn't dream of accepting full responsibility for every word and post I present on a forum. That's like claiming that your posts are childproof, flameproof and generally omniproof. Some of your posts will poke someones eye out sooner or later, and you'll end up taking responsibility for being a sadistical eye gouger.

Excellent challenging response. No, I don't have that watch either and do not claim to have it.

But I do claim to have the control over which threads I am going to get involved in and how I am going to interact with post from others.

Even if my post was inspired by something someone else had said, it was I, and "I" only who chose ignore or respond to the post.

Yes. I am a believer in free will. If I were a religious person my religion would be Zoroasterianism. The primary tenent is that God gave us free will bu also charged us with taking responsibility for all our thoughts, words and actions or inactions.

I must accept responsibility for trying to be humorous at an inappropriate time. And I must also take responsibility for being critical toward another. And I must also be able to justify my criticism.

• Like 3

Can I interest you in buy one get one free Tesco brand instant enlightenment?

" BOGOF on Tibetan paraphernalia plus double points this week. Find them in the Crisps and Nibbles section right next to the nuts."

• Like 2

that is an example of a duality i was able to combine into a one

Z - is that a reference to your personal cultivation/development? If so, have you discussed it anywhere? I think it would be an interesting read, thanks.

• Like 1

that is an example of a duality i was able to combine into a one

I must confess that I'm still working on that one.

@marblehead

I will remain silent. I've proven my points and its up to you to accept and understand my positioning. Hopefully you won't neglect to review my posts again and see what I'm properly saying.

@marblehead

I will remain silent. I've proven my points and its up to you to accept and understand my positioning. Hopefully you won't neglect to review my posts again and see what I'm properly saying.

I do understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with most of it. Are any of us perfect? I surely hope not. But no, you haven't proved your points.

And FYI, I never reported you to the Mod Squad. I thought we were having a good on-depth discussion and both of us were staying true to our initial thoughts and understandings.

I hope you never fear expressing yourself in any of the threads as long as you comply with the rules of the board (and there aren't that many).

And remember, this board is not restricted to only Taoism but open to all belief systems and many other concepts of interest. If you look at posts from our New Age members I wouldn't blame you for saying that that wasn't Taoism. It's not. But discussions of such are very much allowed here.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

I do understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with most of it. Are any of us perfect? I surely hope not. But no, you haven't proved your points.

And FYI, I never reported you to the Mod Squad. I thought we were having a good on-depth discussion and both of us were staying true to our initial thoughts and understandings.

I hope you never fear expressing yourself in any of the threads as long as you comply with the rules of the board (and there aren't that many).

And remember, this board is not restricted to only Taoism but open to all belief systems and many other concepts of interest. If you look at posts from our New Age members I wouldn't blame you for saying that that wasn't Taoism. It's not. But discussions of such are very much allowed here.

That's fine if you don't understand. At the mercy of myself I forgot there are "different" sects of philosophy and religion here.

TBH, I didn't even read that text wall you put up. There isn't much else I can explain. I figured it was in clear plain English.

Anyhow, I'll be putting up a new thread in GD suggesting some things.

Excellent challenging response. No, I don't have that watch either and do not claim to have it.

But I do claim to have the control over which threads I am going to get involved in and how I am going to interact with post from others.

Even if my post was inspired by something someone else had said, it was I, and "I" only who chose ignore or respond to the post.

Yes. I am a believer in free will. If I were a religious person my religion would be Zoroasterianism. The primary tenent is that God gave us free will bu also charged us with taking responsibility for all our thoughts, words and actions or inactions.

I must accept responsibility for trying to be humorous at an inappropriate time. And I must also take responsibility for being critical toward another. And I must also be able to justify my criticism.

(I don't really know what your post was about, so I'm only speaking in general terms here. Yes, this "is" my thread, but I give up on keeping up with all the posts, and don't want to get sucked into being "uncivil".)

I guess we're simply opposite in this regard, because "appropriate" isn't in my vocabulary. If there ever was a word that means the opposite of "awakening", it's "appropriate". ...at least according to my vocabulary. I read Shintaro Kago, and think he's an awesome guy for blowing my mind. I love Monthy Python. I love rape jokes. I shaped 4chan in its infancy. I love to break free of norms and rules, and find the freedom beyond it. I am holding back at this forum, because for once I'd like to be able to stay at a forum for more than a few months.

...but some people like "appropriate" a little too much. It's not only an armor to them to shelter them from other peoples opinions and the real world, but it's also a weapon to swing at people. They know there are knights out there with sharp swords, that will swing at anything at the mention of "inappropriate". When they're children they hit people and then run behind one of their parents crying. When they grow up to be adults, they're called "professional victims". They cry and pull strings at the same time. ...and in a sense you can't fully blame them for this, when knights are wired to obey the laws of "appropriate" to begin with.

• Like 1

Hehehe, Yeah, we are pretty much opposites.

However, I will pretty much agree with your last paragraph.

But the concept of appropriate is still valid, IMO. We can't just "Do It In The Road".

And then there is the concept that for all things there is a season.

I hope you get to stay here as long as you wish too. It is possible that we may not always agree but please don't take that as a personal challenge or insult.

So anyhow, you like Monty Python and I like Benny Hill and I have no idea who Shintaro Kago is.

Best Wishes.

Hehehe, Yeah, we are pretty much opposites.

However, I will pretty much agree with your last paragraph.

But the concept of appropriate is still valid, IMO. We can't just "Do It In The Road".

And then there is the concept that for all things there is a season.

I hope you get to stay here as long as you wish too. It is possible that we may not always agree but please don't take that as a personal challenge or insult.

So anyhow, you like Monty Python and I like Benny Hill and I have no idea who Shintaro Kago is.

Best Wishes.

Best wishes to you too.

You should at least try to read Shintaro Kago at least once. (He's a manga artist.)

• Like 1

. ...and in a sense you can't fully blame them for this, when knights are wired to obey the laws of "appropriate" to begin with.

that was a pretty awesome post.

that was a pretty awesome post.

It was? I wasn't even sure where I was going with that one, but I'm glad you liked it. :)

• Like 1