thelerner

What can be done to stop Buddhist Discussion turning to flame

Five keys to right speech

"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/

Seems perfectly Buddhist to me! :3

*deep bow of respect*

yep cant be bothered to offend people or th wrong people who i didnt mean to, so ill just keep my thoughts to myself

No, your thoughts and participation are important.

(aimed at everyone>) Just argue with good will. Be against ideas, not people. Don't take things personally. State your case honestly and move on. Don't continually rehash, don't hold grudges.

Particularly in the Buddhist area, be more respectful, because it is the Buddhist Area; it should showcase Buddhist ideals and mentality. And to get nasty here is to betray those ideals.

• Like 2

Buddhist discussions as I've seen them practised by monks and especially by partially non-practicioners as it's the case on a board like this here are not really meant to be peaceful, they tend to be kind of a fight about spiritual ranks.

'Buddhist discussions' should primarily be geared towards the purpose of refining one's understanding of Buddhist principles; serving as a means of continually refining one's understanding of 'right view' which underlies all of buddhadharma. The motivation for refining one's understanding through discourse should be for the purpose of leading one towards liberation. Hearing, reflecting, and meditating on the teachings of buddhadharma gradually internalizes the 'view' which precedes practice and is the outcome of the practice (towards liberation). Typically, in Buddhism, the path is defined from within the parameters of progression throughout multiple lifetimes, so it's taught that whatever learning and progress made in this lifetime, provides the conditions that are continued in the next lifetime. This may not sit well with everyone...

Someone should be open-minded towards the teachings, and willing to try to understand its principles from within the context of the teachings, since this informs the praxis. If someone is unreceptive to the teachings or unwilling to consider its principles which may challenge their current world-view: then its best not to engage in dialogue.

Edited by Simple_Jack
  • Like 1

Taming Our Mind ~ 17th Karmapa

What is the definition of practice? Taming our mind. Those of us who are supposed to be practicing Dharma should carefully examine ourselves – our body, speech, and mind – and become mindful of what we are doing. Otherwise, it is quite possible that although we have the form of a practitioner, we are not really practicing Dharma.

Watching carefully to find our own faults, however, does not mean that we have to look down on ourselves or feel that we are worse than others. We do not have to throw ourselves into the river. This is too extreme. What it does mean is that practicing the Dharma is like learning how to dance. When we are learning how to move our arms and legs, we can practice in a room full of mirrors. Seeing our reflection directly, we observe how we are doing even before someone else tells us what is wrong. We all have faults – that is natural and not surprising. We also know how to improve, because we know, or can learn, what to correct and change. Further, we realize that what we are doing is for our own benefit. So if we find some faults or mistakes that we need to change, there is nothing wrong with us; these are just what we need to work on. This is what is meant by “taming our mind.”

--- 17th Karmapa

• Like 2

Taming Our Mind ~ 17th Karmapa

--- 17th Karmapa

Yup, purification of the afflictions and actualization of the profound wisdom of emptiness (along with dedication of merit) form the core of the 37 bodhisattva practices, which are derived from bodhicitta and refuge in the 3 Jewels.

• Like 1

I'm always baffled when discussions within one of the most peaceful philosophies turn nasty. How can we change that here on the bums? I don't want this thread to devolve into name calling or finger pointing. Rather what can be done to end this strangeness.

I understand all sides are passionate and come here from different traditions. Still what can be done to end sniping, trolling and insults here.

1. Burying the hatchet. Don't carry old grievances into new discussions.

2. Be honest and polite before being offensive. ie Please don't ... or could you please discuss that in a new thread.

Buddhism is all about skillful means. What's the best way to cut these things off before they escalate?

:) So, did you guys figure it out yet?

I always think, if TheTaoBums were a real life, offline group, all in the same room together- things would be veryyyyyy different.

But, I bet you knew that already ;)

• Like 2

I'm always baffled when discussions within one of the most peaceful philosophies turn nasty. How can we change that here on the bums? I don't want this thread to devolve into name calling or finger pointing. Rather what can be done to end this strangeness.

I understand all sides are passionate and come here from different traditions. Still what can be done to end sniping, trolling and insults here.

1. Burying the hatchet. Don't carry old grievances into new discussions.

2. Be honest and polite before being offensive. ie Please don't ... or could you please discuss that in a new thread.

Buddhism is all about skillful means. What's the best way to cut these things off before they escalate?

One should have a meat space relationship with commentators. Barring that, act as if one had one. Everyone needs to control themselves. Don't feed the trolls.

Just act like a Buddhist.

But we have been (well, on this thread at least).

Like a bunch of alcoholics in a brewery, making a documentary about kicking the booze, we've all managed to keep off it, at least whilst the cameras are still rolling...

but... but... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think we join forums to connect with other people with similar interests which is a good thing. I belong to a sangha and I get my need to talk shop and ask Buddhist questions fulfilled there. So, I think the people who get angry over a forum post about Buddhism, most likely are lacking in real life Buddhist connections beyond reading.

Do you have any idea how different the different Buddhist sects are? Even in India there are people who worship Buddha as a god and believe in reincarnation to the ones who believe Buddha was just an awakened man and there is no reincarnation. As it spread East it changed even more. Then Chan started in the 5-6th century CE and that spread from China to become Zen in Japan. Personally, I am finally officially joining a Korean Zen Buddhist sect. I am an atheist who doesn't believe in reincarnation and the Zen bishop I study under says that's fine. All that is required to be a Buddhist are the 4 Noble Truths and 8 Fold Path.

Just some thoughts…..