Hi people. I'm giving a heads up about a wonderful novel I just finished.

Its called 'Wooing the Echo' by Lee Morgan.

There are so few good fictional books written, on the subject of magic, that use actual 'real world' practices, and that stay within the bounds of what is actually possible with magic. This is one of them.

I was absolutely riveted from about 10 pages in. The character development is superb, the story is great, and its poetic, deep, sexy and painful stuff from start to finish.

Blew me away.

A+++

P.S.

The occult stance within the book is of a Traditional Witchcraft {TW} stance, which is a new passion of mine.

I had no idea until recently that there was a {non Wiccan} witchcraft movement, which is reconstructing and using to great effect early European/Anglo traditions..
It is quite a 'shamanistic' {if i dare use that term} tradition in many ways, with a good heaping of sorcery to go.

Very different from the purple velvet/goth crowd that seems to inhabit a lot of Wicca.

Nothing against Wicca by the way, just not my cup of tea personally.

• Like 2

The occult stance within the book is of a Traditional Witchcraft {TW} stance, which is a new passion of mine.

I had no idea until recently that there was a {non Wiccan} witchcraft movement, which is reconstructing and using to great effect early European/Anglo traditions..

It is quite a 'shamanistic' {if i dare use that term} tradition in many ways, with a good heaping of sorcery to go.

Very different from the purple velvet/goth crowd that seems to inhabit a lot of Wicca.

Nothing against Wicca by the way, just not my cup of tea personally.

When I was a kid I knew a guy brought up in this tradition. Apparently his family had been practicing for generations, going back to colonial times and so forth. He had a family grimoire filled with super-complicated runes, showed me some antique ritual mats and tools and all that stuff. Very, very far from wicca stuff. It seemed to be from the legacy of medieval herbalists and healers. And in turn, that tradition could very well go all the way back to prehistoric european shamanism.

• Like 1

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Wooing-Echo-Christopher-Penrose-Novels/dp/1780998961

And the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/WooingTheEcho

She (Lee) has written the 9th {and last book} book in the series, but this is the first one in print, so any help it gets will help get her other ones printed.. I really, really want to get to read the others, lol.

• Like 3

When I was a kid I knew a guy brought up in this tradition. Apparently his family had been practicing for generations, going back to colonial times and so forth. He had a family grimoire filled with super-complicated runes, showed me some antique ritual mats and tools and all that stuff. Very, very far from wicca stuff. It seemed to be from the legacy of medieval herbalists and healers. And in turn, that tradition could very well go all the way back to prehistoric european shamanism.

Thanks 9th. That would have been very cool to have seen.

While I am very sceptical of folks claiming unbroken lineage, I don't think it can be argued that at least 'parts' of traditions survived. This is where I like the reconstructionist movement. One Grannys line of herbalism, mixed with someones aunties spirit flight practices, with Isobell Gowdies confession letters, historical digs and anthropology, a grandpa's line of hexing practice, the local fairy/spirit lore from numerous rural settings, folk loric understandings...

Out of this, people have put together amazing traditions.

TW still copped a lot of flack for a while for being reconstructionist. That is slowing down though now. Radomir Ristic seems to have a genuine claim to an unbroken lineage in the Balkins, and since various authors from the TW field visited him there, they found his tradition to be extremely similar to what various groups have managed to 'reconstruct'..

Out of this, people have put together amazing traditions.

Yeh I think that is the idea in general though, for folk knowledge. What he was involved with was clearly an herbalist/naturalist tradition (perhaps slanted more towards incantations and spellcraft such), and the little he showed me seemed to indicate really old world type views. He didnt claim anything about the origins himself, other than his mom and grandma and hers before that and so on had practiced this stuff. It just sort of flashed as intuition for me, that it was medieval european healer type knowledge. There was a distinct air of real ancient-ness to all the various items and writings.

I find the european roots are a very interesting topic, for example regarding the transition when Odin became the head deity of the european pantheon, apparently displacing an earlier deity, who fit a different archetype. It must have happened long before the time of the Romans, who identified Mercury (Hermes) with Odin, noting the Celts as followers of him. Tracing Hermetic correlations through various cultures in various times is a massive undertaking that still isnt close to being fully explored.

• Like 3

Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Wooing-Echo-Christopher-Penrose-Novels/dp/1780998961

And the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/WooingTheEcho

She (Lee) has written the 9th {and last book} book in the series, but this is the first one in print, so any help it gets will help get her other ones printed.. I really, really want to get to read the others, lol.

Cool stuff. Seems like a pretty strong vibin book. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

If anyone likes this amazing book, please consider helping to pimp it.

Lee has all 9 written and only one in print so far.

I for one really want to get to read the rest of them, so the first book needs to do the rounds, and get some attention.