Sign in to follow this  
Sahaj Nath

share your most beautiful qigong forms!

what can i say? i really love the beauty of the dance!

list the 3 most beautiful forms that you know. feel free to list more if you know a lot of truly beautiful forms.

here's my top 5, in order:

1.) wild goose I- 64 moves

2.) wild goose II- 64 moves

3.) yang style taiji quan- 24-short form or long form

4.) zhongxian wu's shamanic tiger qigong- 24 moves

and

5.) duan zhi liang's wuji qigong- 18 moves

when done well, these forms are phenomenal to me.

i'm on the lookout for more beautiful dances, so please share and don't be shy!

thankz.

what can i say? i really love the beauty of the dance!

list the 3 most beautiful forms that you know. feel free to list more if you know a lot of truly beautiful forms.

here's my top 5, in order:

1.) wild goose I- 64 moves

2.) wild goose II- 64 moves

3.) yang style taiji quan- 24-short form or long form

4.) zhongxian wu's shamanic tiger qigong- 24 moves

and

5.) duan zhi liang's wuji qigong- 18 moves

when done well, these forms are phenomenal to me.

i'm on the lookout for more beautiful dances, so please share and don't be shy!

thankz.

Nice! -- although I have to mention, for the sake of traditionalists among us (I'm hoping I'm not the only one :D ), that some traditionalists might object to calling qigong or taijiquan forms a dance. Dances are for show, while high-level qigong is invisible, and high-level taijiquan is for hiding what you're doing rather than displaying it. So a mid-range practitioner will be able to demo the most beautiful form, a high-level master might show less, and the highest level "ti taiji," "taiji embodiment," won't show anything -- the beauty of his or her form is equal to its efficiency, which can become (in rare special cases) absolute. Like the wind whose dance you can't see, and can only guess at from the effects it has on the objects in its way. :D

However, if you're looking specifically for outer beauty, I think nothing beats Chen, with its spectacular snake-like coilings and spirals (outer "show" of peng, which of course is the part of peng that only hints at the real thing, the invisible thing)... Chen Laojia Yi Lu, aka Old Frame One, and Chen Laojia Erlu, aka Old Frame Two, aka Cannon Fist, don't go overboard with outer show of it like Chen Xinjia (New Frame) forms; which one is more beautiful to look at is a matter of personal preference. My teacher says that Yang is like a river that flows over a smooth bed of sand; while Chen is like a river that flows over a bed of rocks and boulders. High-level Chen can make a truly spectacular splash running into those boulders, but the highest level form has a kind of superconductivity -- so the boulder doesn't know what hit it as the river dissolves it in its way! :D

Nice! -- although I have to mention, for the sake of traditionalists among us (I'm hoping I'm not the only one :D ), that some traditionalists might object to calling qigong or taijiquan forms a dance. Dances are for show, while high-level qigong is invisible, and high-level taijiquan is for hiding what you're doing rather than displaying it. So a mid-range practitioner will be able to demo the most beautiful form, a high-level master might show less, and the highest level "ti taiji," "taiji embodiment," won't show anything -- the beauty of his or her form is equal to its efficiency, which can become (in rare special cases) absolute. Like the wind whose dance you can't see, and can only guess at from the effects it has on the objects in its way. :D

However, if you're looking specifically for outer beauty, I think nothing beats Chen, with its spectacular snake-like coilings and spirals (outer "show" of peng, which of course is the part of peng that only hints at the real thing, the invisible thing)... Chen Laojia Yi Lu, aka Old Frame One, and Chen Laojia Erlu, aka Old Frame Two, aka Cannon Fist, don't go overboard with outer show of it like Chen Xinjia (New Frame) forms; which one is more beautiful to look at is a matter of personal preference. My teacher says that Yang is like a river that flows over a smooth bed of sand; while Chen is like a river that flows over a bed of rocks and boulders. High-level Chen can make a truly spectacular splash running into those boulders, but the highest level form has a kind of superconductivity -- so the boulder doesn't know what hit it as the river dissolves it in its way! :D

well said, my friend. and for the most part, i'm actually in agreement with you. the only thing i would quibble with is the notion that dances are for show. it think it would be more accurate to say that dances are for play. i seldom perform for anyone, even when i teach, unless i'm demonstrating a specific technique.

i play alone every day, and every night. and it's both healing and uplifting.

the forms are designed to be aesthetically powerful- beauty is a healing energy as well. it's not the whole of it, of course. but i find great joy in dancing in the fields. otherwise, for the sake of concision i could replace most forms with 'bringing down the heavens,' horse stance training, simple stretches, and tapping on the various meridian points. and that would be that.

i love to play qigong. i love how it feels to dance.

life is easier than it seems. embracing this playful sensibility is an integral part of my pathwork.

i was actually planning to get master ren's chen taiji video through ymaa at some point. the little bit that i saw looked pretty amazing, and his body mechanics displayed a real mastery of the form (though i can't see more than his implied internal process).

so i guess that will be my next purchase. thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Hundun

Talking about dancing and qi gong - has anyone checked out 5 rhythms?

It's like a formless 5 element dance. I've heard some fantastic reviews of the work... it's like modern qi gong.

If a chinese tells you after seeing your form that it is dance it is not to be taken as a compliment.

Although in reality they are too polite to say anything.

In their view your form is lacking in silk reeling connectedness, internal structure, purpose, meaning,

yin - yang balance to to site a few.

They don't dance they play their form.

If a chinese tells you after seeing your form that it is dance it is not to be taken as a compliment.

Although in reality they are too polite to say anything.

In their view your form is lacking in silk reeling connectedness, internal structure, purpose, meaning,

yin - yang balance to to site a few.

They don't dance they play their form.

1.)

perhaps,

but it doesn't change the fact that i don't make the distinction between 'play' and 'dance.'

and...

2.)

perhaps not.

many chinese practitioners (and many masters) DO, in fact, refer to the forms as dances, either a.) because they see in the association the same light-hearted sensibility that i do, or b.) because they recognize and honor the shamanic roots of qigong when all forms were dances- dances with purpose, internal structure, meaning, and connectedness, to name but a few. i don't know any serious cultivators or masters who fail to see that dance is oftentimes highly stylized and disciplined. i also don't know any serious cultivators or masters who fail to recognize that the requirements for transmitting a particular lineage (which you seem to be implying) are NOT necessarily requirements for authentic cultivation.

and...

3.)

what does it even matter? i'll concede that you're right and i'm wrong if it will satisfy you in some way. what's the impact?

it was not my intention to offend anyone.

and lastly,

4.)

your comment, though unintentional, just caricatured an entire race of people. "they" are not a homogeneous group and are entitled to determine *for themselves* what they believe and why, not to mention whether or not "they" choose to be "too polite to say anything" in any given occasion.

1.)

but it doesn't change the fact that i don't make the distinction between 'play' and 'dance.'

3.)

what does it even matter? i'll concede that you're right and i'm wrong if it will satisfy you in some way. what's the impact?

it was not my intention to offend anyone.

and lastly,

4.)

your comment, though unintentional, just caricatured an entire race of people. "they" are not a homogeneous group and are entitled to determine *for themselves* what they believe and why, not to mention whether or not "they" choose to be "too polite to say anything" in any given occasion.

You are free to not make any distinctions you please. Go for it.

No need to concede.

It takes a lot more to offend me.

Just pointing out my experience.

You're right, there are a lot of chinese people who dance instead of play their form

as my chinese friends have pointed out to me.

In general chinese people are too polite to say anything.

There are exceptions. There are always exceptions.

Talking about dancing and qi gong - has anyone checked out 5 rhythms?

It's like a formless 5 element dance. I've heard some fantastic reviews of the work... it's like modern qi gong.

I don't know much about 5 rhythms nowadays, but years ago I stayed with a fellow whose wife taught it - I think it was pretty new then - I believe she was one of the first students of Gabrielle Roth. Ex-wife, I should say. It's no exaggeration to say she detested me.... something about her marriage breakdown being the result of her husband's interest in Tibetan Vajrayana, which I taught at the time. Funny thing was, I quite liked her, though she exemplified (to me at least) the disparity between 'new age' intentions and emotional reality. Her dance seemed to be all about connecting with and opening to the world, her dislike of anything that didn't conform to her understanding of it seeming to all but cut her off from any connection whatsoever. She sure could move, though. I even had a go myself and had a mighty time of it, though copious amounts of alcohol probably helped. Ended up buying a car off her - nearly killed me when the brakes failed on my way to a three month retreat in the hills.

She sure could move, though.

Peace,

ZenB

I don't know much about 5 rhythms nowadays, but years ago I stayed with a fellow whose wife taught it - I think it was pretty new then - I believe she was one of the first students of Gabrielle Roth. Ex-wife, I should say. It's no exaggeration to say she detested me.... something about her marriage breakdown being the result of her husband's interest in Tibetan Vajrayana, which I taught at the time. Funny thing was, I quite liked her, though she exemplified (to me at least) the disparity between 'new age' intentions and emotional reality. Her dance seemed to be all about connecting with and opening to the world, her dislike of anything that didn't conform to her understanding of it seeming to all but cut her off from any connection whatsoever. She sure could move, though. I even had a go myself and had a mighty time of it, though copious amounts of alcohol probably helped. Ended up buying a car off her - nearly killed me when the brakes failed on my way to a three month retreat in the hills.

She sure could move, though.

Peace,

ZenB

lol!

that's some story.

just funny how things can unfold sometimes.

=)

never thought i could be blown away in under 2 minutes!

simply amazing.

thank you for sharing this.

I'd like to study with this man some day. You can go to China and study with him, he has room and board and meals and everything, it's rather inexpensive.

I'd like to study with this man some day. You can go to China and study with him, he has room and board and meals and everything, it's rather inexpensive.

Wow! This is quite something. I'm going to try it... if you don't hear from me again, it might mean I tied myself in a pretzel knot I can't untie.

Here's a demo from my teacher:

Edited by Taomeow

Wow! This is quite something. I'm going to try it... if you don't hear from me again, it might mean I tied myself in a pretzel knot I can't untie.

You mean try to mimic the video? I've tried a few times. Let me know how you do. It's hard and I'm pretty flexible, or so I'm told outside of contortion classes. <_< Nice form from your teacher, I've seen his videos before and have come close to ordering a DVD.

very graceful, beautiful.

never seen that particular form before.

and i love that he's wearing chucks!

;)

easy tai chi

6 harmonies by GM Zhang

i found GM zhang's website.

how long is the form? how many movements?

a while ago i saw one of your posts about you learning tiger qigong from him.

do you have many of his qigong videos? what do you think of them?

Sign in to follow this