TheExaltedRonin

What's the easiest way to live in the present?

Would it be to commentate in your mind everything your doing?

Ex: I am walking. I am turning my head to look at the sky. I'm looking at the sky. I'm moving to the left to avoid the storm drain. Etc.

• Like 1

Would it be to commentate in your mind everything your doing?

Ex: I am walking. I am turning my head to look at the sky. I'm looking at the sky. I'm moving to the left to avoid the storm drain. Etc.

No. Such activity is not helpful as it creates percieved separation. Also, instead of doing or residing in the situation, one is talking about it in your mind to yourself.

As an alternative approach... Consider "just listening". Listen to the sound of your feet when walking. Listen to the wind rustling the leaves when you look at the sky. Listen to the melting water going down the storm drain. No running dialog, just listen.

Best wishes.

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure that this is done as an exercise in Theravada Buddhist retreats, except that you do it before doing the action as well as during it. That way you have an intention before you do each thing. I read about this a long time ago in a small book by a Sayadaw Masaya (sp?). I don't remember if the goal is to be able to do this at all times or not.

When you're not striving to gain anything, even enlightenment, purification of the body, realisation, the understanding of the nature of your own mind, what is left?

• Like 1

Can you even escape the present?

Nope. Even if you're thinking about stuff in the past or worrying about the future, it's still happening now!

• Like 2

When you're not striving to gain anything, even enlightenment, purification of the body, realisation, the understanding of the nature of your own mind, what is left?

As an example. Say one suffers from anxiety. Would you say that the best method for them is to deal with the anxiety face to face by convincing one's self that there is nothing to worry about, as such disasters are not happening right now and may never happen?

As opposed to meditating on current surroundings and/or movements being made, as described by the OP?

The latter does seem more artificial to me!

I am not so sure as everyone's personality is built differently, what might work for one, might not work so well for another.

For me it would be complete acceptance of the current moment. Not resisting, not trying to change, not needing anything else. This action brings you face to face with the energy and then it can be integrated.

If all is just the mirror of your own enlightened mind, then even the perceived negative emotions which can be overpowering is 'it'.

Instead of resisting 'it', like one might do in the Bardo of death when the wrathful deities are displayed which leads to further suffering, one relaxes into 'it'. Relaxing into is full acceptance, without needing to change anything.

• Like 3

As an example. Say one suffers from anxiety. Would you say that the best method for them is to deal with the anxiety face to face by convincing one's self that there is nothing to worry about, as such disasters are not happening right now and may never happen?

As opposed to meditating on current surroundings and/or movements being made, as described by the OP?

The latter does seem more artificial to me!

I would say, "Eliminate the root cause." The feeling of anxiety had a cause. To pretend it doesn't exist is a lie. If we acknowledge it, and eliminate the cause, the anxiety will no longer exist.

• Like 3

Yeah...because I have noticed that if I do a meditation technique of "allowing thoughts to pass by and let go of them" ... well, they just ping back! It disrupts the meditation heavily.

But if I just go about dealing with the issue as it arises, then I don't have anything hanging over my head to worry about anyway!

Sounds quite straight forward, doesn't it?

Interesting point @idiot_stimpy. That reminds me of the time when I was reading lots of self-help/spirituality books...I discarded most of the stuff I learned because it was ineffective. Yet I can see how it would would need it.

Sounds quite straight forward, doesn't it?

Yes, but I will confess that it's not as easy as it sounds. Practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1

I'd say there is no easy way. If you really want to do it, completely, it will take time and practice. Actually it will even take time and practice to just get an idea of what's meant by this few words, ultimately.

But as mentioned above, good luck anyway :)

The easiest way to be in the present is to pause. The idea of living in the present spans more than just the present , but future 'presents' as well.

I was reading about correct effort in correct speech , and it said ,

to consider what you will say , are saying and just said.

That doesnt sound like living in the present to me , unless the idea of "present" spans to both future and past,

and then some other phrase might be more appropriate.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

I will add that it is helpful for living in the present if we do not live in the past. We have already lived that once - time to do something different.

• Like 1

Noun

(that's a verb)

This is the meaning Im using for the word in post 15

I am using it as a noun.

pres·ent 1 (prĕz′ənt)

n.
1. A moment or period in time perceptible as intermediate between past and future; now.
2. Grammar
a. The present tense.
b. A verb form in the present tense.
3. presents Law The document or instrument in question: Be it known by these presents.
adj.
1. Existing or happening now; current: the present leader; present trends.
a. Being at hand or in attendance: Thirty guests were present at the ceremony.
b. Existing in something specified: Oxygen is present in the bloodstream.
3. Now being considered; actually here or involved: the present subject; present company excepted.
4. Grammar Designating a verb tense or form that expresses current time.
5. Archaic Readily available; immediate.
6. Obsolete Alert to circumstances; attentive.

Idioms:

at present
At the present time; right now.
for the present
For the time being; temporarily.
This term ( green) seems to better fit the idea , does it not? or does it?

Present-Oriented Person: This person focuses on concrete factors in the immediate, sensory present (physical salience, sensory qualities, current social pressures) while ignoring or minimizing the abstract qualities relevant to the decision that exist only in an anticipated future context or a remembered past context. Such people tend to be narrowly focused on what is rather than what might be, or used to be. Their thinking is more concrete, less abstract ( a bird in the hand is worth at least two in an uncertain bush), they use more present-tense verbs and references to events and things in the present. It is difficult for them to delay gratification, especially when it is salient and pressing. They give in easily to temptation, can be distracted from task performance by a host of physical and social stimuli. Their focus is less on instrumental activities designed to achieve future goals than it is on consummatory activities that bring pleasure or avoid immediate pain. Of great importance is the evidence we are accumulating that they tend not to be influenced by educational or persuasive messages, either written or oral, in which the necessary action to take or refrain from taking is in some future context. Having the relevant knowledge does not translate into the appropriate action, as it does for the future-oriented, and often the past-oriented person.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

A good martial arts program automatically have an awareness component built in. Few things sharpen the senses like the potential of getting hit. The question is, can you take heightened sense of awareness with you off the mat?

• Like 3

Waking up and falling asleep to where I am, and the freedom of my sense of where I am to move.

The advice in Zen that I've read has to do with where, and I believe I can grow this ability, yet if the sound is anything but the wind blowing across knot holes then I'm going for the wind, not the knot holes!

Say-- do I feel a draft...

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 2

A good martial arts program automatically have an awareness component built in. Few things sharpen the senses like the potential of getting hit. The question is, can you take heightened sense of awareness with you off the mat?

That could depend on whether one either walks or is carried off the mat maybe?

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

First you must ask yourself, what is the easiest way to NOT live in the present?! Go from there. WORK.

• Like 1