Sign in to follow this  
phore

water kefir and kombucha

I have recently began fermenting kombucha and water kefir.
I wish to receive the full probiotic benefit from these cultures.

I am wondering whether these beverages should be consumed together(like the same day.)

The cultures come from symbiotic colonies of bacteria and yeast. The 2 cultures are not capable of existing together in a ferment. (I can not throw in kefir grains to my kombucha batch and expect it to work well. ).
So it follows that if I want kombucha to colonize my body that kefir would interfere with the process.
I realize that this is all theoretical.

Does anybody have any expert opinions or experience on the above.

Does anyone know of any specific benefits of consuming the two together. Keep in mind that what might be true from lab formulated isolated probiotics might not be true with natural SCOBY forming probiotics, if my theory is true.

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to only consuming one.

thanks

• Like 1

I don't see any problem with drinking both. The richer your stomach flora the better, I believe.

Yeah they would "compete" for food in sugar-water but that's different from what's happening in your digestion. Totally safe.

I haven't died yet anyway :)

Kombu power.

This view seems to be more common than the one I posted. I have read that in russia, in the good old days, they used both milk kefir and kombucha.

Most people seem to combine the different beverages with no negative consequences.

It could be that a variety of flora is as important as a variety of vegetables.

My question is in light of the fact that i could consume a large amount of these beverages by making them myself. I am wondering if there could be any special benefit to allowing only one to colonize me.

I wonder what the ancient chinese felt about this issue, as they had access to kombucha.

What sort of benefits have you noticed from consuming them together.

Thanks for your response.

Sign in to follow this