thelerner

Big free book Great Bliss Tantric Sex and the Path of Inner Awakening

I'm on Tao Semko's Practical Tantra Tips [email protected] mailing list. The latest newsletter has a link to a free pdf book he highly recommends. Its a big 504 pages. I'm glad to see its a contemporary treaty on an old subject. Looks well written, though I've barely touched the monster.

Tao Semko is one of the KAP teachers and very well regarded. Here is an excerpt from the umaatrantra.com newsletter:

"Houseman's work is also meticulously footnoted and, most remarkably, he has decided to release it to the public domain and distribute it freely and virally via the internet.

For those questioning whether coupled loving practice was historically a part of Tantric Buddhism, or if yab yum was just a visual metaphor for the union of bliss and emptiness, this work will prove a revelation.

For those already aware of the nature of KarmaMudra practice, but seeking a deeper contextual and practical understanding, this wonderful work is for you.

If there is any doubt that coupled love, attraction, and affection, can be as important as transpersonal compassion in Vajrayana cultivation, this book will dispel that doubt.

And those wanting to glimpse the historically egalitarian social culture of Indian buddhist tantrism, as it existed in the Indian siddha tradition prior to morphing into the hierarchical, patriarchal, and primarily monastic tantric culture of Tibet, with its , will also be fascinated...

Written, published, and distributed with the intention to reach those it will serve as a vehicle for enlightment, the manuscript has been released freely by the author to the world... the practical fruit of his life's research, translation and deep research available for all sentient beings, electronically published and rapidly propagated across the internet.

And so, here it is, free for you to download at UmaaTantra.com, in full-color .pdf format:
http://www.umaatantra.com/ut/the-first-complete-manual-in-english-of-indian-vajrayana-ca-800-ce-including-and-emphasizing-karmamudra/

If you remain curious, the download page includes the table of contents and a brief bio of the author.

My profound thanks to John T. Houseman for this work and for his generation of compassion for all beings."

• Like 5

free *if* you don't mind being signed up for some newsletter or some such...

Would love it if someone put it up for FREE free :D.

• Like 1

free *if* you don't mind being signed up for some newsletter or some such...

Would love it if someone put it up for FREE free :D.

and thats why we should have (at least) 3 levels of emails. The 'junk' email name (aol is good for this) that we look at once a month. A could be important one that we look at weekly, and friends/family only email address. Gmail has nice filter settings (bottom of More button) that allows you to throw things into folders without being seen in regular mail. A good option for newsletters.

Plus its good to be ruthless with Spam or polite and unsubscribe as much as possible.

• Like 1

There always seems to be a big discrepancy between the early tantric texts which don't mince their words on orgasm, fluids and that sort of "visceral" thing, and subsequent instruction which places the prana strictly within the central channel, with no release.

• Like 2

Oh yuk!!!! its got pics of women's boobies.

You only think that because you're a cat... Some humans enjoy that kind of thing, unbelievable but true! I know, you'll never look at that dude who feeds you in the same way again. Sorry :)

The book itself is a bit of a 'jumble sale' - some good stuff, if you rummage around. Where I take issue with a portion of what he's written is his repeated mentioning of the peace of "nirvana" happening after orgasm. How much of this is explicit in the various texts he's referring to and how much of it is his interpretation of those texts? I can't say. Okay, he limits it to the "Beginning Methods" section but still...

3) the Bliss of Cessation (Viramānanda), the bliss of orgasm and the peace of nirvāṇa that follows p273

Your most subtle attachment to a belief in a separate self, the final obstacle to eternal peace and bliss, is released. (after orgasm) The Third Bliss (p274)

If this was the case, you could just have sex and get enlightened. I've got nothing against sex or orgasm but the post-orgasm wipe-out isn't nirvana.

The Intermediate Section features orgasm with subsequent...

Reverse Urethral Suction :o (Vajrolī Mudrā Karmamudrā), the method of Vīravajra, after the practitioners ejaculate, you both meditate on visualizing the upward flow of the subtle energy of mixed female and male fluids from your genitals back up into your central channels. p278

Once you've come, you've come and no sucking it back makes any difference - even if it were possible. The coarse (rupa) fluid cannot enter the central channel, as this is a part of the "energy" body.

We finally get to the advanced methods on p278, where the presentation is a bit more familiar but we need a mop and bucket to get through to it.

• Like 3

There always seems to be a big discrepancy between the early tantric texts which don't mince their words on orgasm, fluids and that sort of "visceral" thing, and subsequent instruction which places the prana strictly within the central channel, with no release.

Read this?

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Making_Sense_of_Tantric_Buddhism.html?id=urzm9J4tbpwC

It's very dense but worth it, it doesn't deal with the practices of Tantra.

• Like 1

The book itself is a bit of a 'jumble sale' - some good stuff, if you rummage around. Where I take issue with a portion of what he's written is his repeated mentioning of the peace of "nirvana" happening after orgasm. How much of this is explicit in the various texts he's referring to and how much of it is his interpretation of those texts? I can't say. Okay, he limits it to the "Beginning Methods" section but still...

If this was the case, you could just have sex and get enlightened. I've got nothing against sex or orgasm but the post-orgasm wipe-out isn't nirvana.

My immediate thoughts were directed towards understanding the motive of the writer, and whether or not he considered the implications of such vibrantly explicit, often loosely interpreted information being made available to non-initiates, and loathe to think in the direction of potential outcomes where these practices were experimented with in the absence of a teacher.

I know it sounds almost prudish, and no disrespect to Tumoessence, but to me, such a work, and others similarly written, are cheesy, irresponsibly made, and designed to appeal solely to the DIY sector of spiritual dabblers (loads out there) who are game to try anything once. Such works offer plenty of exotic lingo for modern fringe practitioners besotted with ancient systems to fulfil their desires for arcane knowledge so that they can wantonly experiment without having to succumb to the moral and ethical guidelines implicit within most authentic lineages of Vajratantra. Unfortunately, such writers do not intermittently litter their works with red 'caution' signs in order to forewarn readers that there are perilous consequences involved if such information were to be applied wrongly.

I know this is a biased opinion, and i apologise for the lack of objectivity in the observations made. Its just that misinformation abound, and when such are happened upon, its totally imprudent to stand back and say nothing. Not that it makes that much of a difference at the end of the day, but at least, i can sleep without this thing niggling at my conscience. Yeah, its selfish, i know. :)

• Like 4

I know it sounds almost prudish...

But it's not.

You're absolutely right. There's a legitimate concern that any casual reader may conflate Highest Yoga Tantra with the current trend for neo-sexual stuff.

There's nothing much about empowerment, vows, generation / completion stage etc. in the book, so it does have a kind of sex manual feel to it.

I know it sounds almost prudish, and no disrespect to Tumoessence, but to me, such a work, and others similarly written, are cheesy, irresponsibly made, and designed to appeal solely to the DIY sector of spiritual dabblers (loads out there) who are game to try anything once. Such works offer plenty of exotic lingo for modern fringe practitioners besotted with ancient systems to fulfil their desires for arcane knowledge so that they can wantonly experiment without having to succumb to the moral and ethical guidelines implicit within most authentic lineages of Vajratantra. Unfortunately, such writers do not intermittently litter their works with red 'caution' signs in order to forewarn readers that there are perilous consequences involved if such information were to be applied wrongly.

Hopefully some people like you are still here at TTBs to voice a traditional viewpoint in a Mara environment.

Many blessings to you :)

CT said

I know it sounds almost prudish, and no disrespect to Tumoessence,

None taken. BGKA asked for a copy free from the need to sign up for a list. I merely posted an alternate link to direct download.

"Disclaimer...................Please take all such postings with the proverbial grain of salt"

In other words even though many practices covered and discussed in our forum encourage slowing down engagement with the thought chatter stream, please don't abandon critical thinking as a useful tool. Combined with our knowledge of Tradition, thinking can save us many miles.

Edited by tumoessence
  • Like 3

My immediate thoughts were directed towards understanding the motive of the writer, and whether or not he considered the implications of such vibrantly explicit, often loosely interpreted information being made available to non-initiates, and loathe to think in the direction of potential outcomes where these practices were experimented with in the absence of a teacher.

I know this is a biased opinion, and i apologise for the lack of objectivity in the observations made. Its just that misinformation abound, and when such are happened upon, its totally imprudent to stand back and say nothing. Not that it makes that much of a difference at the end of the day, but at least, i can sleep without this thing niggling at my conscience. Yeah, its selfish, i know. :)

Yeah .. but ... but .. its got real women's boobies!!!!!

• Like 6

I like this book.

I think that all this concern for saving people from information is misplaced. :(

The only reason which I can understand for keeping information hidden, is for valuing the knowledge itself and respecting the Gurus.

Oh yuk!!!! its got pics of women's boobies.

Some humans enjoy that kind of thing, unbelievable but true! I know, you'll never look at that dude who feeds you in the same way again. Sorry :)

I'm hoping the sequel is shorter and all pictures ;).

• Like 1

I like this book.

Well, so do I, despite my niggles. The guy's made a good effort, so a pat on the back at least. There's some interesting material there (besides the pictures I mean ;) ). Thought I'd better get that one in before someone else does.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents on this.

As much as I respect Tao Semko and value his referrals, I was really put-off by this "master's" ebook bio.

The guy boasts that he learned from a ridiculous number of enlightened masters, I believe it was 30, and that he read over 600 books on Tantra.

These two comments in particular didn't sound serious to me. Reading 600 books doesn't make you a subject matter expert on anything, it just means you read 600 books.

And over a dozen enlightened masters in this lifetime ? Really ? 30 ?

Anyways, I stopped taking the content seriously after that, and skimmed through it. If this guy is really legit, I would prefer a better crafted bio because this really put me off.

• Like 2

Can we really complain too much in this case? I mean, it was free and doubtless work of many years.

On the third hand. It impresses the nubes, but over marketing, over promising is a real problem you see popping up on such books and schools.

In some cases one persons definition of Master is not anothers. Some need godlike proofs others set the bar at high knowledge, experience and living with strong flow. Similarly with promises of gains, they probably do have a few students who go very very far and base there advertisements on them, not the norm.

• Like 1