TheExaltedRonin

How do you surrender yourself to whatever your doing?

Great question.

In the play Arabian Nights the smartest person in the world was asked the secret of life, she replied "Cultivate Enthusiasm". thats all I got.

Literally I believe the best thing may be to not strive. Just exist. Discard thoughts as they arise or realize they have no value and continue acting.

Easier to say than do.

You might say "trying" is the problem. There is no trying, no doing, no coming to, or leaving. There is simply the world. Don't expect anything of it, don't try to make it seem magical or interesting. Don't think about how it was better before, or will be good in the future once you attain something. Don't ignore or supress. Don't favor this thought over that thought, this feeling over that feeling. If there is pain, be content with pain. If there is fear, sadness or anxiety, simply let it be without rejecting or embracing. If you saw a plain gray rock and set it on the table in front of you, how do you feel about it? Well, it's just a plain gray rock. There is nothing special or unique about it. This is the great secret. Everything is a plain gray rock. When you finally see this, there is only contentment.

Contentment exists naturally under any feeling, any thought, any problem, any great joy, any sorrow. You don't need to end anything, find anything, fix anything, or solve any problems. The only problem is trying to make anything different from how it is precisely night now at the bleeding edge of this pure existance in time. There is no surrender, no relequishment, no action at all. Stop clinging to the edge of the cliff and fall into space. Allow all frayed strings and loose ends to fly free in the wind. Let the river take you over the waterfall. Be in that moment right before the bomb you are trying to diffuse explodes where you realize in an instant you are going to die, and you say, "I guess that's it."

You cannot try to be effortless, you can only stop all trying. Watch the mind passively. Watch your trying. Watch the doubt, the frustration, the effort, the effort to stop expending effort. Watch as everything you feel and think exists beyond your control. Surrender is relequishment, release, letting go, stopping effort. There is nothing beyond awareness, so you can't leave it and you can't come back. Whenever you feel yourself trying, watch the trying. Don't stop trying, stop trying.

• Like 2

You have to be joyful about what your doing. What do you love and fnd joy in doing? When you find that....do that....then develop concentration....concentrate so fiercely and joyfully on what your doing that the world falls away like noise in the background and your Will and your Joy become merged in a loving dance of life.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Yeah I also asked this question alot all along. One day I realized that I could surrender better. Conclusion: its an abilily just like other siddhi, gongfu or spiritual attainments which is a product of all that you do. Clearly practicing surrender is a useful thing, but you are always limited by your overall spiritual progress.

Burning desire...that itch to do something.

Various people believe desire is a dirty word though. Without it though, are we not limiting ourselves?

Judge nothing and enjoy the journey?

I like that but it causes my mind to vibrate. This is because of the word "judge". I don't think it is possible to attain a state of total "non-judging". And our ego (intuition) will warn us of things along our journey.

I think that "prejudging" nothing would be enough. And absolutely, enjoy the journey.

• Like 2

"Prejudging" nothing...does that mean diving right into nothing and to just be?

In a manner of speaking, yes. However, we need listen to our ego and our intuition and inspirations. That is why I often speak of mindfulness. Similar to the Sage not putting himself in the way of the tiger and rhino, we don['t want to unconsciously put ourself in harms way.

Heels down. Sounds simple, but try. Every time your mind play tricks. Arrest it with banging heels to the ground.

Drink water. And your eyes you have two. Watch the tips of you index fingers with both of your eyes.

I almost have a grasp on it...

Forgive me, I am just beginning my journey :)

Hey, I'm enjoying our discussions. Understand though, I am voicing my opinions and understandings. My methods have worked for me - they may not work for others.

• Like 1

Marblehead, you know that feeling of resistance you bump over when you hear "surrender"? That's a feeling waiting for your analysis. ^^

Forget "surrender". That is not a Taoist concept.

This was what I was going to say :)

The concept would reveal there is separation where there is really none except in our head... but that is enough to hold us back.

• Like 2

Marblehead, you know that feeling of resistance you bump over when you hear "surrender"? That's a feeling waiting for your analysis. ^^

Good try my friend. I have already analysed it and have rejected it. I am not even going to surrender to death when it comes knocking on my door. I will likely lose but there will be one hellova fight.

The concept would reveal there is separation where there is really none except in our head... but that is enough to hold us back.

Yes, this would be another one of those very lengthy discussions with many alternate considerations.

I release into the present moment through relaxed body/breath awareness.

And people have written books around that one single concept.

• Like 1