The Prisoner

Falun Gong/ Falun dafa

What do you know about them?

I really know very little but I have an anecdote: They "ruined" a nice Qigong class for me. It was going to be in a beautiful church annex, all arranged, lot's of good people interested, and then the pastor read something about Falun in some church publication, and canceled the class. There was no way to get him to understand that Qigong does not equal Falun Qong. After that, I was more or less happy that the class didn't get off to a start. I don't want to be associated that church (which was mainstream Protestant - I do hold classes in Catholic churches, no problem).

Other than that, I've seen them in various cities in Germany holding 'Sit-ins'.

The exercises are interesting, very Buddhist of course, which is fine, but I'm not sure about the influence Li Hongzhi holds over them.

He's teaching is good, inexpencive and simpel

basic qi gong

and he takes (you) towards enlightment

..a little to fast for society and politics :)

But I don't think it worked out the way he planned.

But it is strange how the world is so silent

when in fact they are being tortured (in china) for meditating

• Like 3

And my question is can anyone pratice the 5 exercises of it, but not agreeing in some of Li Hongzhi's dogmatic written materials. I just could not take blindly some of his views and beliefs.

Would anyone that is not in total agreement, can still have the Falun implant?

I wonder though if it's up to him. or it is automatically implanted once you start praticing the 5th exercise? He said that it is the only exercise given to him that he did not modify or alter.

Edited by ShivaShakti

Thanks Chris D , and Unseen Abilities

Someone might chime in, that also doesn't fully accept Li Hongzhi's beliefs and still got benefits of the falun.

Edited by ShivaShakti

That is oddly interesting i'd say, Chris. :)

yes thank you, I've read Seth Ananda's post. But maybe in that time he fully agrees with Li Hongzi's ?? That's why he got some siddhi power? I'll search again, i might be missing something.

Edited by ShivaShakti

I believe all his books are free to download. I have some of them but have only read bits as they are quite extensive and seeminly updated different versions and translations?

His cultivation is for enlightenment and apparently as the story goes he became very popular very quickly and the government asked him to join 'the party' and he refused and so was blacklisted and his followers outlawed.

One thing I found odd was that he believes as I seem to remember that ET lizards are taking over the planet and making it warmer for an invasion and that modern digital technology is their way of programming and disrupting humans way of life so they can do this, or somehting along these lines? Him a David Icke have the same views. Cannot remember where I read this now, I think in one of his PDF books? Who knows I don't, could be correct!

I opted for SFQ! :-)

It is very Chinese.

They have a few Brit followers in the UK but those are scattered.

They don't charge for classes and the books are all free.

I tried to read one once but it was poorly translated.

The QiGong looks OK and they have had a hard time from the Chinese Government.

I can't fathom why anyone not Chinese would be interested in joining Falun Dafa but then again European converts to Tibetan Buddhism puzzle me too.

What's that all about?

If a path isn't to do with the culture one was born onto then surely it isn't your path.

If it was, you'd have been born onto it.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Thanks Infinity.

Just read some of Li's materials but I just can't take them. very dogmatic. seems like Li has qigong psychosis. :wacko:

I read here on TTB that the exercises are good, so I want to give them a shot, but after reading Li's material, my goodness, I just can't believe that lots of falun gong practitioners fall for Li's insane written materials. or maybe the rest of them were/are intelligent enough and just do the exercises and just simply ignoring?

Although it is very clear to me now Falun Dafa is a cult indeed, however falun gong practitioners have my sympathy on oragan harvesting in china.

Why is it happening to them and who's fault is it in the first place? it is Li, the practioner themselves or the CCP? or it's simply just their destiny :mellow:

Edited by ShivaShakti

There's a lot of superstition attached to the Falun Dafa.

Bit of QiGong, bit of ancestor worship, a seasoning of Buddhism, quite a lot of classical Spiritualism ripped off from classical ( 19 th Century) western Spiritualist works.

New religions along those lines are very popular in that part of the world.

They have lots in South Korea and some of the newer Buddhist groups are a bit cultish.

The Falun Gong simply fell foul of the Chinese Government which brooks no departure from Partynlines.

Hence all QiGong teachers in China have to have a Government licence.

They getbto wear a numbered green ribbon.

Nobody who isn't State licensed can teach QiGong officially in China and anyone caught doing so is in big trouble.

• Like 2

I signed a petition for a Chinese guy in the high street to "stop organ harvesting"

Apparently Falun Gong practitioners are "tortured" by the gov for their beliefs...and organs sold on.

I can't fathom why anyone not Chinese would be interested in joining Falun Dafa but then again European converts to Tibetan Buddhism puzzle me too.

What's that all about?

If a path isn't to do with the culture one was born onto then surely it isn't your path.

If it was, you'd have been born onto it.

Ya...or perhaps it is their path to discover it?

We live in interesting times...the internet and immigration is bringing cultures and ideas together like wildfire.

To think my late uncle didn't know what Tandoori chicken was...that is unheard of for anyone say, under 50 these days, right?

Tandoori?

chicken!

Do these old ears deceive me?

Tandoori and Chicken!

Has the world gone mad?

You'll be claiming that there's 'garlic bread' next!

Edited by GrandmasterP

Tandoori?

chicken!

Do these old ears deceive me?

Tandoori and Chicken!

Has the world gone mad?

You'll be claiming that there's 'garlic bread' next!

Lol...there are so many white people turning to Islam here in Yorkshire. That's a head scratcher for me. Then again, we did have Christianity dumped on us too long long ago so I guess it's ok for Islam to have a go.

Well my point is, aren't we all somewhat (especially on this forum!) following some aspect of a culture we weren't born in to? I wasn't born in to a meditating family, that's for sure!

I went to a do at that Jamat Islamiya mosque in Dewsbury once .

Biggest mosque in Europe for membership they told me.

Bleddy good food it was and they made us very welcome.

There were some English converts there too, the regular mosque guys were mostly wearing togs the same as we were and most of the converted guys were dressed up like Pashtun tribesmen.

Those felt hats that roll up all round, they all seemed to go on for those.

Very odd.

Nice hats though, always fancied one.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Although it is very clear to me now Falun Dafa is a cult indeed, however falun gong practitioners have my sympathy on oragan harvesting in china.

Why is it happening to them and who's fault is it in the first place? it is Li, the practioner themselves or the CCP? or it's simply just their destiny :mellow:

What is happening to them was not their fault. It is due to the size of the cult. The cult has a tremendous assembly power and financial status. The CCP is afraid that this big cult might overthrown the government. Therefore, the cult was classified as an illegitimate cult. It was a local group of officials were selling the organs of those practitioners who had been arrested.

btw Falun gong(法輪功) may be considered as the efficacy of the Falun Dafa(法輪大法). Falun Dafa is not a cult itself but only a method of Qi Gong. Falun Gong is a synonym for Falun Dafa; and both names are interchangeable.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Given that their classes and materials are completely free I was surprised that it didn't take off more than it has done in the UK.

OK a Tai Chi or QiGong class here generally only costs four or five pounds a session, less for seniors; but free is cheaper and money is tight for many folks but the FG just hasn't got out there much beyond ethnic Chinese people in the UK.

This is all they have...

http://www.falungong.org.uk/index/classes

Edited by GrandmasterP

During '80s Chinese government relaxed the politics related to martial arts and qigong practices . Wang Liping started to teach taoist meditation, and both Zhang Hong Bao and Li Hongzhi were his students. After several years Zhang Hong Bao founded Zhong Qigong (1987) and Li Hongzhi founded Falungong (1992). Zhong Qigong was much more popular than Falungong, they started earlier and they were more spread. Zhang Hong Bao intended to enter politics and to create his own party using his qigong followers as political supporters. So I suppose the government was already vigilant when Falungong spread, and reacted much more violently than to their predecessor, although Li Hongzhi had no intention to enter politics. The whole bubble bursted in 1999/2000 and many masters including the leaders immigrated in US and Europe. I can bet that many masters from mainland China you see nowadays in US or Europe are somehow related to one or the other movement.

• Like 2

Falun gong(法輪功) may be considered as the efficacy of the Falun Dafa(法輪大法). Falun Dafa is not a cult itself but only a method of Qi Gong. Falun Gong is a synonym for Falun Dafa; and both names are interchangeable.

Hello ChiDragon,

Im curious about this. But isn't Falun Dafa's creator/founder is Li? And his written materials pertaininng to Falun Dafa is very cultish.

Yes, I know the 5 exercises of falun dafa are qigong pratice, and they are just qigong by themselves. However the so called philosophy/ideology of falun dafa is flawed.

If anyone can pratice "just and only" the exercises of it, and reaping benefits, without the cultish side ot it, then that's great! :wub:

And I was speculating though that the 5th exercise (the sitting meditation) automatically gives you the falun implant. and it is not dependent on Li who apparently gives it, but is achieved by doing the several buddha mudras of this 5th exercise. Just my speculation of course. So anyone can say something about this? :)

Edited by ShivaShakti