ralis

Dream Hikes

Anyone that has hiked, climbed or backpacked in the wilderness must have a dream hike destination. Here is my first one. Mt. Whitney on the John Muir trail. I have camped out next to the glacial end moraine below Whitney (above Lone Pine).

• Like 5

I live in British Columbia.... need I say more? ;)

I guess I would just say that in general various beautiful ones around the world, but I don't travel specifically for hikes, more like ask where the good ones are when I travel for other reasons.

Though thinking about it, I'd love to go hike around the areas the guy who did the Amongst White Clouds documentary went :D. With a translator would make it even more fun. A tent and someone else to carry my water, even more so!

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

I love hiking in Tahoe, particularly the Desolation Wilderness area, Yosemite in the high country Tuolomee Meadows, lake Tenaya where my son was conceived.

The Bells in Aspen Colorado.

Guilin in China along the Yangtze River.

Lhasa in Tibet

All over Egypt

Glacier National Park

Banff Canada

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I like mountains, mountains with deep thick forests :).

I was tempted to move to be in the same city as my teacher, only two things held me back; cost of living there, and the hiking just isn't awesome!

• Like 1

Tronfjell. Norway (Mount Tron) 1.666 m.o.h

I love the soul of the mountain.

And hiking around in "wild" harmonious parts of Norway

I am walking up an old forest path close to my house

lastly named: Friarveien ( Wooway ) (shit I, translated this now, an need I say wu wei )

it connects to Viking graves

and strangely goes pretty much straight line east -west

this pattern of walking I learn on Mt.Tron

I took it home ...

And I have no fucking, idea on what I am doing - I have no occupation or education (I am Devil on guitar, and a wind in Tai Chi)

But Tao has showed me ... some connection

Shit I realise

my life wouldn't have been such a mess

if I listened to what my mother have said

she wanted me to be a Plummer

"and all I want her to be was sober".

• Like 1

Wheeler Peak in Taos NM is one of my favorites! At an elevation of 13,167 the air begins to get a little thin. Wheeler is one of a ring of mountains that surround Williams Lake. One big glacial cirque.

• Like 1

I have spent many days over the years in the Jemez mountains. Especially in the Valles Caldera. This particular caldera is the second largest collapsed caldera on the planet. Estimated height of the original volcano is around 27,000 ft. This particular caldera was thought to be extinct but has been upgraded to dormant. Los Alamos National Labs has a monitoring station to keep tabs on any activity. The lab sits on the downside of these mountains

Here is a documentary on New Mexico's volcano's. Volcano's make for the best hiking.

This is my old favorite spot ... I used to sleep on an air mat on the flat rock in the pool (it was less overgrown back then) we used to put candles on the ledges behind the waterfall for night time lighting.

21422931.jpg

more of the area @

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Cradle+mountain+tasmania&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qN8cU-ufEIimkwWYtoHwDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1093&bih=528#q=Curracurrang+royal+national+park+nsw&spell=1&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

• Like 2

This is my old favorite spot ... I used to sleep on an air mat on the flat rock in the pool (it was less overgrown back then) we used to put candles on the ledges behind the waterfall for night time lighting.

21422931.jpg

more of the area @

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Cradle+mountain+tasmania&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qN8cU-ufEIimkwWYtoHwDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1093&bih=528#q=Curracurrang+royal+national+park+nsw&spell=1&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

No crocs hanging out?

Too far south ... they way up north. This spot had a small cove, some good ledges for spear fishing, a creek and pools, some open grassy area and a small cave if rained heavily ... the whole area was criss-crossed with trails including along the coast and numerous beaches ... pristine; no road access.

The red lines are roads ... when I didnt want to hike I would blast my old Triumph along the roads.

I lived near the upreach of that long bay with 'Caringbah' written across the top ; Yowie Bay .... just a quick trip down the bay and over the river and one was in it .... the other way 40 mins to the heart of the city. I also had a job for a while at Cronulla, there is a small ferry service linking, for a while I lived camping near the beach at Bundeena and would catch the ferry to work where I had a shower, work cloths and other items of civilisation .... ahhh , it was good back then :) .

rrmap.gif

Edited by Nungali

What's the highest elevation? (On building or land.) :)

Fifteen blocks from the northern end of Washington Heights, in its Hudson Heights neighborhood near Pinehurst Avenue and 183rd Street in Bennett Park, is a plaque marking Manhattan's highest natural elevation, 265 ft (80.8 m) above sea level

One World Trade Center, the giant monolith being built to replace the twin towers destroyed in the Sept. 11 attacks, will lay claim to the title of NYC tallest skyscraper a little over 1,250 feet high, just enough to peak over the roof of the observation deck on the Empire State Building.

However, I prefer level land or as it is known as the middle way :P

I already lived my dream hike, which was to take several days' walk in the foothills of the Himalayas, in Nepal. I did one loop around Kathmandu Valley, and then the following year I walked around the Pokhara region. We only got up around 9,000 feet, but the scenery was jaw-dropping since the huge peaks loom over you. My hiking buddy and I hired a guide, porter and cook (you had to have at least a guide as foreigners weren't allowed to go outside the settled areas alone) and we had an amazing time.

Back home in the States, I did some hiking in Maine and in New Hampshire's White Mountains over the years, but would like to get to BC and the PNW in general.

• Like 2

I already lived my dream hike, which was to take several days' walk in the foothills of the Himalayas, in Nepal. I did one loop around Kathmandu Valley, and then the following year I walked around the Pokhara region. We only got up around 9,000 feet, but the scenery was jaw-dropping since the huge peaks loom over you. My hiking buddy and I hired a guide, porter and cook (you had to have at least a guide as foreigners weren't allowed to go outside the settled areas alone) and we had an amazing time.

Back home in the States, I did some hiking in Maine and in New Hampshire's White Mountains over the years, but would like to get to BC and the PNW in general.

Age Sage, I would be more than happy to show you some amazing hikes in PNW or BC if you ever come up this way! :)

PS circle walking up on tops of mountains is AWESOME!

• Like 1

Wow, nice hike at Mt. Whitney. Would love that trail. The trails I've hiked in New Hampshire's White Mountains are much harsher, steeper and rockier. More of a slog and crawl than a hike!

Pai Canyon would be a cool one, but I doubt I'll ever go to Thailand. Just stumbled across an article the other day, I guess it may be the narrowest trail in the world.

121012054251-1350060168-iphone-photo.jpg

Actually if the girl on the right was the tour guide, I think I would have to go to Thailand to hike it!

• Like 2

That reminds me of the last section going to the peak of Mt. Killiecrankie ... over the top of a sill to where it joins just below the peak - very narrow ... sheer drop either side and a bit rocky on top ... okay , I admit it, that section I did a bit on all fours :D

Worth it, if you want to wiggle on your stomach over the north face you can look DOWN ON soaring wedgetail eagles ... sometimes they surf the updraft and come up to within meters of you.

• Like 1

Wow, nice hike at Mt. Whitney. Would love that trail. The trails I've hiked in New Hampshire's White Mountains are much harsher, steeper and rockier. More of a slog and crawl than a hike!

I have hiked in the White Mountains. The Whitney trail and by extension the John Muir trail is brutal.

When I hiked Wheeler Peak I decided to take a shortcut away from regular trail. Big mistake! I always take shortcuts which turn out to be worse!

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1