Unlearner

DON'T HESITATE TO DO GOOD!

"Hasten to do good; restrain your mind from evil. He who is slow in doing good, his mind delights in evil."

-Excerpt from the Dhammapada

My new initiative for myself (and anyone who might like to join) is to not hesitate to do something good for another person or the community at large. Many times, we see things that we want to do (or want "someone else" to do) that would benefit other people, but then sometimes we hesitate, think about it, and decide not to because it'd be too much trouble, or it's not important, or it's not our problem.

STOP THE HESITATION!

If you see something that you would think would be a good thing to do, but would normally make you hesitate and decide not to,

DO IT!!

And then post it in here. Doesn't matter how small or large. All good acts are encouraged, but this thread is especially for those acts that:

a.) you normally wouldn't go out of your way to do,

b.) would not normally benefit you in any way, and/or

c.) most people would push off on other people to do because it's "not their problem"

Since I'm starting this thread, I'll go first. Yesterday, I was doing my taxes, and while I usually try to save as much money as I can, I decided to donate $100 of my tax refund to four different charities and programs.

Edited by Unlearner
  • Like 5

Yes, acts of goodness. And your example above is commendable.

But on the other hand, don't hesitate to kick ass if that is what is needed. Doing good doesn't always feel good at the beginning.

I had to go out and buy a new tool yesterday and caused the lady who was helping me to smile. That's all I had the opportunity for over the past 24 hours.

• Like 2

I would really like to discourage acts of violence in this initiative. There should be other ways to handle 99.9% of situations without it, so I don't want the first thing people to think is, "Who can I kick the crap out of today?" Even in situations that you would normally think would require violence, you should be trying as hard as you can to avoid provoking any violent behavior. There are very few situations I've ever seen that would be solved by violence, and even then there are almost always other ways to resolve them. Violence only perpetuates violence.

Still thank you for your post. Keep doing good things.

I fear you have misunderstood me. I was not referring to violence but rather tough love.

I too discourage acts of violence. Remember my warrior's code?

Tough love is with the intent for doing good. Sometimes what people want at a given point in time is not what they really need.

Back a couple months ago I saw two young men at a corner in a shopping center and one of them was wearing Army clothing. I stopped. Asked a couple question (one was a felon and could not join the Army) while the other was a veteran. I gave them five bucks. I then said that they ought to try finding a job doing something constructive. The felon asked, "Like what? Rob a Bank?" I said at least that was something but I wouldn't recommend it. At that point there was nothing left to say so I left.

And so I will still agree with you, that we shouldn't hesitate to do good. But then too, we should not hesitate to do what needs be done.

• Like 1

Heard a story on the local news the other day, people were complaining about all the trash was being dumped by people on a major bike/walking path. Today, I got on my bike with gloves and some trash bags, and I went down the path picking up trash. I spent about 3 hours on it, and I didn't come close to finishing (it's a really long path), but I picked up quite a bit of trash along an 8-mile section of the path.

A lot of people saw me picking up trash. Most of them didn't pay much attention, but a few of them thanked me or showed their appreciation. Hopefully it might help some other people to think about doing something for other people.

• Like 2

Corrected someone energetically who felt bad on Facebook.

Oh, there are so many people on the internet who need be corrected. Hehehe.

But that was good what you did. Nothing wrong with trying to inspire others.