I am very pleased to announce that following his return from retreat, Jiang Shifu has permitted me to begin the process of organizing a second workshop focusing on the theory and practice of our family’s waigong 外功 “external training/skills/methods” this summer in the United States.

The workshop will once again be held at the same exact location in beautiful San Francisco, California. Myself and last year’s workshop participants found our expectations wildly exceeded by the pristine environment and intense fengshui of the practice area, a bluff overlooking San Francisco Bay surrounded by a ring of ancient trees, and the renovated officer’s quarters of the decommissioned Fort Mason military base which served as our lodging and a place to take healthy organic meals are both very inexpensive and extremely convenient.

Holding this event in San Francisco also conveys the benefit of access to be best traditional Chinese herb markets in the Americas. As during the previous workshop in 2013 I will be holding a free clinic (with Jiang Shifu’s remote assistance) under the traditional Buddhist auspices of YiZhen 义诊 “Compassionate Diagnosis” which is open to all comers, be they workshop participants or not.

The dates for this year’s workshop are July 19th – July 26th, 2014, which should assure us of the same fine weather conditions we enjoyed in 2013. Tuition is the same as last year, $2000 for the week. The cost of lodging will depend on the final number of participants, but it will not exceed $45 per night. Once again I have scheduled our very full week from Saturday to Saturday to make things easier on those with corporate schedules. Participants should plan to arrive and check in at the workshop location on Saturday the 19th, and are free to depart on Saturday the 26th.

As before I am limiting the workshop attendance to 10 people and we need a minimum of 5 attendees in order to confirm.

Once again, the waigong of our system, which can also be considered our jibengong 基本功 (“foundation/fundamental training/skills/methods”) corresponds to what many people publicly refer to as the 古十二式 ("Old Twelve Postures") of the Yijinjing, although we refer to it as the XinShiErShi 新十二式 ("New Twelve Postures"), and the material that has been passed within our family differs in substantial ways from what has been made public by others.

These are the fundamental exercises of the body-mind which were required to be trained diligently for 3 years prior to RuMen 入门 ("entering the gate") in orthodox Shaolin transmissions.

While it is admittedly not possible to progress to the level of emitting the electric-like ZhenQi 真气 ("true qi") solely through this material, it can and does have a tremendous effect on one's health and one’s strength, and aids in preparing the ShiErJingMai 十二经脉 ("twelve organ meridians / twelve conventional meridians") for the deeper neigong of the system.

As it was last year, this is the *only* opportunity officially authorized by Jiang Shifu to receive training in authentic Shaolin Yijinjing Gengmenpai methods outside of traveling to visit Shifu himself here in mainland China.

For those of you interested in securing your place at this workshop, or if you are simply interested in reading some firsthand experiences from a few of last year’s workshop attendees (one participant from 2013 shared his experiences on taobums here: http://thetaobums.com/topic/27501-shaolin-yijinjing-gengmenpai-12-postures-seminar-in-the-usa-summer-2013/?p=462084), please PM me and I will point you in the direction of our private forum where workshop preparations are taking place.

Also if you have any other questions about the workshop please feel free to post them here.

Edited by leandro
  • Like 1

While it is admittedly not possible to progress to the level of emitting the electric-like ZhenQi 真气 ("true qi") solely through this material, it can and does have a tremendous effect on one's health and one’s strength, and aids in preparing the ShiErJingMai 十二经脉 ("twelve organ meridians / twelve conventional meridians") for the deeper neigong of the system.

so what you're saying is that practicing the gengmenpai waigong helps to reduce the likelihood or severity of having the kinds of blockages which would stop you from practicing neigong, right? … how, exactly?

so what you're saying is that practicing the gengmenpai waigong helps to reduce the likelihood or severity of having the kinds of blockages which would stop you from practicing neigong, right? … how, exactly?

The short answer to your question is yes.

For us the waigong begins the work on the the twelve conventional meridians, the neigong begins the work on the eight extraordinary meridians, generally speaking.

*All* meridians must be strengthened, and, if necessary, impairments cleared in order to practice neigong effectively and more importantly, safely.

As for the "how", well, that's the primary topic of the theoretical component of this week long workshop. :)

Edited by grady

Thank you for the kind words, my friend! Really looking forward to seeing you again in July.

You're certainly right that one of the most challenging aspects, of any practice, is the necessity for consistency in the face of the vagaries of life, particularly a non-monastic life, even more so our modern life.

FYI for those who are interested, seven spaces have been spoken for, which means at the moment we only have three spaces left for the July workshop.

I am serious as a heart attack about limiting this to no more than ten people, so if you are sincerely considering joining us this summer then do let me know sooner rather than later.

Edited by grady

I'm delighted to announce that the workshop is confirmed.

So far the current group of confirmed attendees is a nice mix of first-timers, those who are returning again after attending last year's waigong workshop, and even a few people who have been exposed to our neigong in China and want a chance to focus on the waigong in depth.

As of today there are two open slots remaining.
Edited by grady

For us the waigong begins the work on the the twelve conventional meridians, the neigong begins the work on the eight extraordinary meridians, generally speaking.

Hmmmm....

So Waigong = Yijinjing,

Neigong = Xisuijing ???

Hmmmm....

So Waigong = Yijinjing,

Neigong = Xisuijing ???

Haha, not bad Dorian, but unfortunately not quite right … :)

I'm very excited to say the response to this year's waigong workshop in San Francisco has been unprecedented, and that we are tentatively at capacity.

I will be keeping a waiting list for those who would like to attend in case someone drops out or is otherwise unable to confirm, and in case Shifu decides not to count the returning senior students for the purposes of the 10 person limit, so if you are sincerely interested and have not yet gotten in touch with me do feel free to do so.

Haha, not bad Dorian, but unfortunately not quite right … :)

Hmm, ok.

What I really want to know is what is the energy source for the strong chi that Master Jiang's system develops?

Is the source the energies of your own body (possibly the essences/jing of the body/the inner organs)

or do you absorb external chi (from heaven and/or earth) and if so, do you do perineum-to-ground meditation to absorb external chi?

Hmm, ok.

What I really want to know is what is the energy source for the strong chi that Master Jiang's system develops?

Proper empowerment, followed by proper neigong practice with the proper intensity over the proper length of time.

Is the source the energies of your own body (possibly the essences/jing of the body/the inner organs)

or do you absorb external chi (from heaven and/or earth)

Both.

and if so, do you do perineum-to-ground meditation to absorb external chi?

No.

• Like 2

Proper empowerment, followed by proper neigong practice with the proper intensity over the proper length of time.

Both.

No.

Interesting! Thank you very much for the answers! :)

Interesting! Thank you very much for the answers! :)

You're welcome.

Quick update - Shifu has decided that it is ok for me not to count for the purposes of the 10-person limit two of the advanced neigong students who are joining us in San Francisco for a full dose of the waigong, which means we have 2 more spaces available in San Francisco in July.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few months.

• Like 1