4bsolute

What is the Hindu equivalent to the Lower Dantien?

The "Kanda".

It has the size of an bird's egg, a membrane and is the root of all prana channels.

Btw, it's the source from where the "Kundalini" arises.

• Like 2

The "Kanda".

It has the size of an bird's egg, a membrane and is the root of all prana channels.

Thank you, I was asking this because of the said rather 'extreme' importance of the LTD in Taoism / Qigong.

I struggle abit to get this into my practice when the most attention we now have to put on is in our hearts. I know and have felt the effects of an increased flow in that energy and how it affects the entire system, but this is (for my humble understanding) too much related to the solar plexus region, associated with the old regime we are now letting go off, on this planet.

Any ideas on this other than generalizing it and putting it aside, or am I missing bits of the bigger picture?

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

Thank you, I was asking this because of the said rather 'extreme' importance of the LTD in Taoism / Qigong.

I struggle abit to get this into my practice when the most attention we now have to put on is in our hearts. I know and have felt the effects of an increased flow in that energy and how it affects the entire system, but this is (for my humble understanding) too much related to the solar plexus region, associated with the old regime we are now letting go off, on this planet.

Any ideas on this other than generalizing it and putting it aside, or am I missing bits of the bigger picture?

Well, the most base energy and core essence of your being is located in your pelvic bone bowl.

If you want to go "back to your roots", to your base and to where you come from, this place is most likely the best choice. :)

• Like 3

The "Kanda".

the space that you're referring to is the KUNDA, not the kanda. it resides at the base of the spine.

and it's not the equivalent of the lower dantien. you don't fill the kunda; the kunda is already full. i am not familiar with any yogic practices wherein upon completion, the practitioner stores all the accrued energy in the kunda. that's not how it works.

in fact, i'm not familiar with any hindu equivalent to the lower tan tien at all. the Hindu and Taoist systems do not perfectly overlap. there are a great many similarities, but few equivalents.

i'm not an expert on the Hindu system, so maybe someone else can comment and provide greater clarity, but i'm pretty sure that this much is correct.

• Like 4

Most of yogic practises concentarte on regulating the flow of prana and not storing of the energy . Different type of work is done .

• Like 4

yes, we appear to be talking about the same space, and the "rolled like a cloth" analogy is referred to as the kundala, but i'm still dubious about the term kanda, as the only place i've seen it is you and this Burley guy.

but i could be totally wrong. i really don't know the Hindu system that well. i thought i at least had that much clear, though.

• Like 1

Equating Core essence and base energy is not "Hindu" since all energy or prana comes from the true essence which is not limited to location per-se although one could say...

• Like 3

There is no direct equivalent, not in a conceptual sense. As Hundun says there is no, "now store/focus in the lower dantian".

I am lucky, my friend is the inheritor of a little known yogic line. I have discussed this with him. They do not conceive of a lower dantian in the way Daoists do. That being said, it does not mean they do not develop or cultivate the lower dantian. They do. So what does that say?

It confirms Lao Zi's base teaching, the method and the time put in matters more than the words or labels.

Best,

• Like 4

The two do not directly relate. The easiest way to think about it as two different "layers" in the energy body. Dan tiens focus on energy of the body. Chakras focus on energy of the "mind".

Best wishes.

• Like 1

It would not be the Manipura chakra - very different

Care to elaborate?

In Daoism you have work around the three cavities, around lower, middle and upper dantian.

This is very similar to me to the yogic attention around the navel (manipuira), heart (anahata) and third eye (ajna) chakras.

From my practice experience it's very similar.

What I find very different are the kundalini rising eventually throught the sushumna in yoga versus the mco and jing->qi->shen->wu and immortal embry practices in Daoism. But not the chakras and dantian.

• Like 1

Deepforest asked if I cared to elaborate when I said it was not the Manipuna:

I understand the possibility as it is often described and pictured but when you come to feel it like your fist, or fingers or arms and legs which I have, and then come to feel the Lower Dan Tien, it is very clear they are not the same.

The two do not directly relate. The easiest way to think about it as two different "layers" in the energy body. Dan tiens focus on energy of the body. Chakras focus on energy of the "mind". Best wishes.

Hi Jeff , hope you dont mind , just want to elaborate this a little as there seem to be a lot of misconception or not a clear enough explanation around the forum ....

..chakras are formed where pranic channels meet . Chakras do not " focus on energy of the mind ", but in practise with chakras it is involved -- in which way energy/prana , breath , mind and physical correlate.

Energy does not have attributes on its own . What defines a personality is the type of obstructions present.

Main chakras are in the spinal cord and they correlate to various plexuses which in turn govern different functions in

the body . Chakras are also correlated to different planets (to which many people think its new age -- but it is NOT , human being is not only a part of earth , but part of everything that exists and through deep meditation and insight one can find out many things for themselves) , microcosmos and macrocosmos . However this is for another discussion ..

What is interesting that in some yogic practises -- practicioner detangles the" granthis" through work with chakras -- or "pshyicic knots " Brahma Granthi , Rudra Granthi and Vishnu Granthi . These knots do correlate to Dan Tians by their positioning , but energy is not stored in them -- rather they are detangeled which creates free flow .

Just like to further mention in general that not all yogic schools work with kundalini or even mention it , it is a popular misconception . Also a lot of yogis do not believe into kundalini coiled 3 and half times at the base of the spine , but that it is awakaned on top of the head . Some say kundalini is so very rarley awakened , and once it is awakened one does not have anything to worry about whatsover , becouse deep insight is achieved . Personally I do not care , just haring some gossip I have gathered so far while hanging in da Yogi Hood .

Just like to further mention in general that not all yogic schools work with kundalini or even mention it , it is a popular misconception . Also a lot of yogis do not believe into kundalini coiled 3 and half times at the base of the spine , but that it is awakaned on top of the head . Some say kundalini is so very rarley awakened , and once it is awakened one does not have anything to worry about whatsover , becouse deep insight is achieved . Personally I do not care , just haring some gossip I have gathered so far while hanging in da Yogi Hood .

Thats true. So much confusion in the West around this. People can try to travel to India if possible, and broaden their knowledge, instead of lumping all kinds of emotional upheavals into the Kundalini trolley, and hoping to check everything out in one go. ;)

• Like 2

When the chakras are in a very heightened state of clarity they appear and feel like vortexes at the skin surface which go inward.

They feel like holes in a sense on the skin with an inward flowing of energy - you feel as though you could put your fingers in them and pull them wider.

Hi Jeff , hope you dont mind , just want to elaborate this a little as there seem to be a lot of misconception or not a clear enough explanation around the forum ....

..chakras are formed where pranic channels meet . Chakras do not " focus on energy of the mind ", but in practise with chakras it is involved -- in which way energy/prana , breath , mind and physical correlate.

Energy does not have attributes on its own . What defines a personality is the type of obstructions present.

Main chakras are in the spinal cord and they correlate to various plexuses which in turn govern different functions in

the body . Chakras are also correlated to different planets (to which many people think its new age -- but it is NOT , human being is not only a part of earth , but part of everything that exists and through deep meditation and insight one can find out many things for themselves) , microcosmos and macrocosmos . However this is for another discussion ..

What is interesting that in some yogic practises -- practicioner detangles the" granthis" through work with chakras -- or "pshyicic knots " Brahma Granthi , Rudra Granthi and Vishnu Granthi . These knots do correlate to Dan Tians by their positioning , but energy is not stored in them -- rather they are detangeled which creates free flow .

Hi suninmyeyes,

I don't mind at all and always appreciate the conversation. I would agree that from the perspective of the body, it can feel like their are chakras. Also, many "translate" the percieved flows in their mind as such chakras. But, the concept is more something learned from various traditions. That is why different tradtions have endless number of differing numbers of chakras (7, 5, 3, 12...) or some traditions like Buddhism never experience them at all.

As clarity is "increased", the chakras seem to integrate and merge and ultimately collapse into sort of a unified field. At the body level, it feels like every cell (or atom) is a chakra or vibrating. The unified field is a more accurate representation of "you". We are kind of like "clogged" unified fields. Broader opening can happen from any location in the percieved body, which is why different traditions talk about kundalini starting form different locations.

Finally, I would agree that the body is connected to the planets. Ultimately the "body" is a mapping to all that exists. What people call a "light body" is actually such a mapping. The greater the clarity, the broader the mapping to all of existence.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

OH JESUS GUYS...

by all means :D it is okay that you are discussing it here

but the initial point of me asking this is because I can not work in a tradition that is almost solely focusing on the outmost personal aspect of all chakras which created all the me-me-me bull**** on this planet. So please excuse me on this one

Thank you nonetheless and like with all things: If there is temporarily no answer or misconception (as it is here) forget the concepts and go for 'your answer' life is giving you

I can't put in words how thankful I am to have found 'this' concept...

Hi suninmyeyes, I don't mind at all and always appreciate the conversation. I would agree that from the perspective of the body, it can feel like their are chakras. Also, many "translate" the percieved flows in their mind as such chakras. But, the concept is more something learned from various traditions. That is why different tradtions have endless number of differing numbers of chakras (7, 5, 3, 12...) or some traditions like Buddhism never experience them at all. As clarity is "increased", the chakras seem to integrate and merge and ultimately collapse into sort of a unified field. At the body level, it feels like every cell (or atom) is a chakra or vibrating. The unified field is a more accurate representation of "you". We are kind of like "clogged" unified fields. Broader opening can happen from any location in the percieved body, which is why different traditions talk about kundalini starting form different locations. Finally, I would agree that the body is connected to the planets. Ultimately the "body" is a mapping to all that exists. What people call a "light body" is actually such a mapping. The greater the clarity, the broader the mapping to all of existence. Best wishes.

Hey :) , just to be pain in the a** and a Fake Chakra Justice Boss

-- Buddhism does actually have practises that work with chakras . To make clear information .

There are some differences in teachings and approach varying from schools to schools .

So just saying all this becouse there is so many people ( even on TTB ) who misunderstand these concepts and have imaginary problems with chakras and dont even get what they are saying .