MooNiNite

the power of clenching

No, not the anus you chinese martial art nuts.

In meditation it is not only important for the tongue to touch the roof of the mouth, but also that the teeth be slightly clenched. At high enough levels people will feel the energy flow through them and, as you can imagine, this also aids in dental health.

ZOOOSHHHHHHHH

• Like 2

When speaking of the roof of the mouth, it is generally assumed to mean the forward palate with the tongue just touching the teeth.

I have never hear of slightly clenched teeth during meditation. A relaxed jaw and /or a jaw slightly open with tongue touching the upper palate/teeth is nearly universal.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

clench teeth while in meditation? no. the trigeminal nerve is a very loud one, there is no need to turn up the volume on it.

• Like 1

Teeth lightly touching is very common. But it can cause problems because in order to 'lightly' touch the teeth together, you may tend to lift the chin and allow the head to hang slightly to the rear. That's unfavorable head/neck position.

And if you tuck the chin inward, head tilted slightly toward the front, as is better in general, you'll have to put more force into bringing the teeth together. And that's also unfavorable.

The rewards are outweighed by the costs, in my experience.

Clicking the teeth as part of self massage routine is very good, oth.

watch videos of masters and tell me if their mouth is open. the heavy amounts of energy will lock the jaw.

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

watch videos of masters and tell me if their mouth is open. the heavy amounts of energy will lock the jaw.

But it's easy to open the mouth, and breath through it, with the teeth clenched. It's not very comfortable, but it's not difficult. And many many people, including advanced practitioners, exhale through the mouth, even if the lips part only slightly.

lock the jaw? hehehe. not at all. its rather important to remain relaxed. ohm's law ;)

If the jaw is tense the rest of the body will be tense.The jaw and the pelvis are the most conditioned parts of the body. Guilt, fear etc. remain unresolved when suppressed trauma/emotions are not dealt with. Most are not aware of this.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

Yeah i think relaxation allows the chi to flow. Tensing and trying to get it flow can make it flow easier once the tension is released, i think that's the only benefit of tensing. Oh and to make you hot. Tension without a certain purpose however is restricting to your mind and meditation, you need to be relaxed to get the full benefits from your meditation.

Simply and unequivocally untrue.

i think the mouth slowly closes and locks. like how the body becomes stiff, so does the jaw when it is closed. not so much to do with tensing

i think the mouth slowly closes and locks. like how the body becomes stiff, so does the jaw when it is closed. not so much to do with tensing

Conduct a test on yourself and feel the relationship between a tense jaw and the rest of the body. I can feel the difference.

• Like 2

When speaking of the roof of the mouth, it is generally assumed to mean the forward palate with the tongue just touching the teeth.

I have never hear of slightly clenched teeth during meditation. A relaxed jaw and /or a jaw slightly open with tongue touching the upper palate/teeth is nearly universal.

Thanks for clarifying on this tread. Last year, I was practicing for a while with the tip of my tongue on the actual roof of my mouth (pointing towards the centre of my brain) All that happened was discomfort and lots of saliva to keep gulping down! Plus the tongue kept slipping back to the position which you state here! You cannot practice mindfulness very easily with everything all twisted in weird directions, and tension in the jaw!

I must add though, we do train wing chun with teeth bitten together. If we don't, if we get hit in the jaw, it will break. But I wouldn't in meditation...it's not as if there's a risk of jaw breaking when sat alone!

clench teeth while in meditation? no. the trigeminal nerve is a very loud one, there is no need to turn up the volume on it.

are we speaking about the same state in meditation where the slightest crack in a wall is perceived as an explosion?

I know what you are alluding to- the yin/yang push/pull makes it feel like 2 magnetic fields opposing each other- so the tension you feel isn't really tension per se.

In Goat stance- if I move my fists down a little- I feel that pulling up while it also seems to be pushing down simutaneously.

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2