Sign in to follow this  
themiddleway

Trul khor

At the end of the video: -

In order to practice Yantra Yoga correctly, it is necessary to learn from a teacher authorised directly by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.

<snip>

Seems like he might need to be referred to the Competition Commission/Antitrust Division, if you feel the urge to take that up.....

Does it do anything that Tai Chi, Zhan Zhuang Chi Kung and/or 8 Brocades doesn't do?

Some of the nicest things about the latter two is that they're free and easy and you can still do them when you're a centenarian: -

Day 1:-

Full 10 day course: -

www.youtube.com/user/StandStillBeFit?feature=watch

Compare and contrast :)

• Like 1

The movements and breathing patterns / techniques and timing are very specific and have to be learned from a qualified teacher. Otherwise you can cause energy / wind [rlung] disorders. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

The movements and breathing patterns / techniques and timing are very specific and have to be learned from a qualified teacher. Otherwise you can cause energy / wind [rlung] disorders. Better safe than sorry.

Exactly :)

So, does it do anything that Tai Chi, Zhan Zhuang Chi Kung and/or 8 Brocades doesn't do?

Oddly enough, the same thought came to my mind as I watched the vid. I do Tai Chi now but I've also done hatha yoga in the past and I don't see anything that wouldn't be covered by either?

• Like 1

So, does it do anything that Tai Chi, Zhan Zhuang Chi Kung and/or 8 Brocades doesn't do?

There's five series of movements, each is designed to address different areas, the five elements, the five aggregates, the five emotions, the five attachments and the five capacities. Maybe there's equivalent functions in Taiji, qigong and standing, maybe there's not - I don't know. Some areas like the five aggregates and five capacities look quite specific

Oddly enough, the same thought came to my mind as I watched the vid. I do Tai Chi now but I've also done hatha yoga in the past and I don't see anything that wouldn't be covered by either?

As already mentioned there's specific breathing patterns co-ordinated with the movements, How about a nice weekend in London to learn? :)

• Like 2

And different visualizations too, leading to different results. Not necessarily better, just different.

• Like 2

There's five series of movements, each is designed to address different areas, the five elements, the five aggregates, the five emotions, the five attachments and the five capacities. Maybe there's equivalent functions in Taiji, qigong and standing, maybe there's not - I don't know. Some areas like the five aggregates and five capacities look quite specific

As already mentioned there's specific breathing patterns co-ordinated with the movements, How about a nice weekend in London to learn? :)

Thanks - so the answer to my question is that you don't know. :)

And I appreciate your offer (although, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole myself. :) )

Thanks - so the answer to my question is that you don't know. :)

And I appreciate your offer (although, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole myself. :) )

Then why come on to the Buddhist forum and snipe at every opportunity :)

Then why come on to the Buddhist forum and snipe at every opportunity :)

Sorry that I've hurt your feelings but don't you think that offering to teach this over the course of a weekend is - to put it mildly - unwise :)

Sorry that I've hurt your feelings but don't you think that offering to teach this over the course of a weekend is - to put it mildly - unwise :)

The identification and pointing out of a pattern of posting behaviour doesn't necessarily equate with hurt feelings. Apologies for not making myself clearer to Yabyum24 and others casting a malign eye over proceedings, it is an introductory weekend.

I don't practice the yantra yoga shown above but I do practice kum nye and tsa lung which are somewhat similar.

I also practice taiji, qigong, xingyi, and bagua (and taught for ~ 9 years). I find the Tibetan practices do offer benefits that I did not get out of the Chinese practices.

It's hard to quantify or be terribly specific but the kum nye seems to be creating a strength and flexibility that I did not get out of the other practices. Not necessarily "better" but different. The tsa lung is energetically amazing. It has helped to clear blockages that have resulted in major breakthroughs for me in emotional and psychological areas. The two have also enhanced and stabilized my meditation in a way that did not happen with the Chinese work.

That said, the Chinese martial arts and qigong certainly offer things that the Tibetan practices don't. They're not interchangeable. I think that it's important to identify what you're looking for in your practice and follow the path that takes you there most directly.

I still practice the taiji and bagua and occasionally qigong but the Tibetan practices have taken a very central role in my daily routine.

Just my personal experience, YMMV…

• Like 3

The identification and pointing out of a pattern of posting behaviour doesn't necessarily equate with hurt feelings. Apologies for not making myself clearer to Yabyum24 and others casting a malign eye over proceedings, it is an introductory weekend.

Ah - now I see. :)

So, you have an agenda regarding yabyuim24, me and unidentified others - so you were actually the one who was sniping? :)

And you don't like it because I am critical of institutionalised religious Buddhism and the "pattern of posting behaviour" that you don't like is something that you want me and others to stop doing?

Is that right?

And, by-the-way, set-up the introductory weekend in London, I'd be delighted to attend.

Ah - now I see. :)

So, you have an agenda regarding yabyuim24, me and unidentified others - so you were actually the one who was sniping? :)

And you don't like it because I am critical of institutionalised religious Buddhism and the "pattern of posting behaviour" that you don't like is something that you want me and others to stop doing?

Is that right?

And, by-the-way, set-up the introductory weekend in London, I'd be delighted to attend.

I must apologise again to yabyum24 I didn't mean to imply that he had a malign eye. My motivation in posting in this context is quite specific - to call out subtle and not so subtle contempt for the traditons from posts that seemingly show interest and support but are really quite condemnatory. Job done. I leave the resulting fallout for others to judge.

As luck would have it there's an introductory weekend in London in two weeks:

http://www.yantrayoga.org/events/yantra-yoga-for-beginners-with-john-renshaw-in-london/

• Like 1

I must apologise again to yabyum24 I didn't mean to imply that he had a malign eye. My motivation in posting in this context is quite specific - to call out subtle and not so subtle contempt for the traditons from posts that seemingly show interest and support but are really quite condemnatory. Job done. I leave the resulting fallout for others to judge.

http://www.yantrayoga.org/events/yantra-yoga-for-beginners-with-john-renshaw-in-london/

Thanks

I'm glad that you find me subtle - I do my best :)

Just to be clear, not only do I dislike religious dogma dressed up as Buddhism but I also consider that misappropriating and selling what the Buddha gave away for frees is truly appaling.

£125 for the weekend!

"Buddhism" for the rich - I think not :)

Thanks

I'm glad that you find me subtle - I do my best :)

Just to be clear, not only do I dislike religious dogma dressed up as Buddhism but I also consider that misappropriating and selling what the Buddha gave away for frees is truly appaling.

£125 for the weekend!

"Buddhism" for the rich - I think not :)

Very clear, thanks for clarifying your position, I 'get it' now. I appreciate subtlety, even yours in a strange kind of way :) But hey there you go again! Would you consider paying £125 for any of the following? (I would, there's overheads like hiring the teaching venue and instructor travelling and subsistence expenses etc.):

1) A taiji negong weekend

2) A taoist inner alchemy weekend

3) A silat tenaga dalam weekend

4) A hatha yoga weekend

5) A baguazhang fighting applications weekend

6) A shaolin qigong routine weekend

7) etc.

Seems that no one seems to begrudge paying out for these but when it comes to buddhist stuff they cry foul! Not an even playing field methinks. For many buddhist events, granted it's in the small print, I've have seen words to the effect of 'lack of money should not be a barrier to attend - contact the organisers.'

• Like 3

Very clear, thanks for clarifying your position, I 'get it' now. I appreciate subtlety, even yours in a strange kind of way :) But hey there you go again! Would you consider paying £125 for any of the following? (I would, there's overheads like hiring the teaching venue and instructor travelling and subsistence expenses etc.):

1) A taiji negong weekend

2) A taoist inner alchemy weekend

3) A silat tenaga dalam weekend

4) A hatha yoga weekend

5) A baguazhang fighting applications weekend

6) A shaolin qigong routine weekend

7) etc.

Seems that no one seems to begrudge paying out for these but when it comes to buddhist stuff they cry foul! Not an even playing field methinks. For many buddhist events, granted it's in the small print, I've have seen words to the effect of 'lack of money should not be a barrier to attend - contact the organisers.'

No I wouldn't.

When I train, I train for free - nor do I charge for tuition or any other expenses when I teach.

In that case, when a venue is required, costs are split and I make at least the same contribution as everyone else (usually a little bit more more).

Does that answer your question?

No I wouldn't.

When I train, I train for free - nor do I charge for tuition or any other expenses when I teach.

In that case, when a venue is required, costs are split and I make at least the same contribution as everyone else (usually a little bit more more).

Does that answer your question?

Rare quality not often seen these days! :)

I would go to that if I was in London, £130 is quite reasonable for a weekend of instruction.

• Like 1

I don't practice the yantra yoga shown above but I do practice kum nye and tsa lung which are somewhat similar.

I also practice taiji, qigong, xingyi, and bagua (and taught for ~ 9 years). I find the Tibetan practices do offer benefits that I did not get out of the Chinese practices.

It's hard to quantify or be terribly specific but the kum nye seems to be creating a strength and flexibility that I did not get out of the other practices. Not necessarily "better" but different. The tsa lung is energetically amazing. It has helped to clear blockages that have resulted in major breakthroughs for me in emotional and psychological areas. The two have also enhanced and stabilized my meditation in a way that did not happen with the Chinese work.

That said, the Chinese martial arts and qigong certainly offer things that the Tibetan practices don't. They're not interchangeable. I think that it's important to identify what you're looking for in your practice and follow the path that takes you there most directly.

I still practice the taiji and bagua and occasionally qigong but the Tibetan practices have taken a very central role in my daily routine.

Just my personal experience, YMMV…

I agree about not mixing systems. Yantra yoga is very different from qigong /martial qi gong in my experience, best to commit to one system. I have only been practising Yantra for a short time but it has replaced all my other bodywork excersises. Its been very effective for me at moving out a lot of emotional garbage but I also think that qigong is awesome for health particulary for people who can not do yoga movements.

• Like 1

At the end of the video: -

Seems like he might need to be referred to the Competition Commission/Antitrust Division, if you feel the urge to take that up.....

Does it do anything that Tai Chi, Zhan Zhuang Chi Kung and/or 8 Brocades doesn't do?

Some of the nicest things about the latter two is that they're free and easy and you can still do them when you're a centenarian: -

Day 1:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg&feature=share&list=PL5AC656794EE191C1

Full 10 day course: -

www.youtube.com/user/StandStillBeFit?feature=watch

Compare and contrast :)

I've done both and in my experience they are very different, different energetic architecture. I believe that Taoist take more of a substanialist approach to chi which may explain qigong's success in health care. Trul Kor comes from an understanding that mind and body are co-dependent and insubstantial. You have to of practised both to really get it, even within Qigong there can vast differences between forms but one crucial difference in Chinese culltivation is the metal element, 'the holding of form'.

• Like 4

I've done both and in my experience they are very different, different energetic architecture. I believe that Taoist take more of a substanialist approach to chi which may explain qigong's success in health care. Trul Kor comes from an understanding that mind and body are co-dependent and insubstantial. You have to of practised both to really get it, even within Qigong there can vast differences between forms but one crucial difference in Chinese culltivation is the metal element, 'the holding of form'.

Thanks.

(And nicely handled :) )

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this