SonOfTheGods

Trepanning, also known as Trephination

An Illustrated History of Trepanation

Does this procedure fall under the heading of spiritual technology? One of the signs of accomplishment in the Tibetan practice of P'howa (used to transfer consciousness at the moment of death) is supposed to be an indentation forming in the skull at the point of the crown chackra, and in fact I have experienced this myself. Furthermore, some trepanned skulls have been found in India with holes made in points corresponding to the crown or third eye chackras, suggesting that the process may have been used with the intention of augmenting some sort of spiritual or psychic ability.

Nowadays trepanation enthusiasts claim that if a hole is made in the skull the volume of blood flowing through the brain can increase because it is no longer constricted by the rigid skull. They claim that this makes them more creative and intelligent, though of course the cynic in me suggests that if these people were dumb enough to drill holes in their heads their intelligence really had nowhere to go but up.

Questions you don't want to ask a Tibetan P'howa master: "Lama, can I improve my practice by using a power drill?"

http://ananael.blogspot.com/2007/06/trepanation-spiritual-technology.html

The Countess Who Had Drilled A Hole In Her Head

article-1264891-091157CC000005DC-130_468

In the early 1970s, 23-year-old Amanda Feilding drilled a hole in her skull with a dentist's electric drill, wearing a tight pair of close-fitting glasses so the blood wouldn't get into her eyes. She then bandaged herself up and went out to a restaurant to have a steak.

It's called trepanning — the ancient practice of drilling a hole in the skull to give the brain more oxygen. In a more metaphysical sense, advocates of trepanation see the eventual fusing of the bones at the top of the skull in adults to be a closing-off of vital energy, creativity, and spirituality – something that the boring of a new hole in the cranium will fix. As such, trapanning is seen as another method of mind-expansion along the lines of LSD and so on.

amanda_cutting_her_hair.jpgFeilding getting ready to air out her brain

One might say that Feilding, now Countess of Wemyss, is the Timothy Leary of trepanning. She regards her body as, in her words, "my laboratory." She ran for British Parliament twice, on the platform "Trepanation for the National Health," and is also the founder of the Trepanation Trust and The Beckley Foundation.

logo.gifThe Beckley Foundation logo

The Beckley Foundation supports research into different modalities of mind expansion, including cannibis and trepanation, as well as advocates drug legalisation. According to the Beckley Foundation website:

"The Foundation is working at the frontiers of the renaissance of psychedelic research. It is also undertaking pioneering research into cerebral circulation and its impact on the aging process, including possible ways to counteract some of its debilitating effects. Collaborative work initiated by the Foundation has brought about not only the first research into LSD with human participants since prohibition, but also the first explanation of the physiology underlying the beneficial effects of the ancient procedure of trepanation."

It is interesting to note the use of the all-seeing eye/Eye of Ra in both the foundation's logo as well as the icon for its "About Us" page. Such imagery, coupled with the mythic/masonic symbol of the double-headed eagle, suggests that the Beckley Foundation sees itself as not just crusaders in the field of mind-expansion research but as carrying on ancient mystery traditions.

pineal-gland-activation.jpg

Many such traditions speak of a "third eye" in the middle of our foreheads (a.k.a. the pineal gland) that, once "activated," give us special psychic abilities and other cool X-Men stuff.

The theme of drilling holes in one's head can also be found in several films, most notably Scanners...

02.jpg

Pi...

pi-darren-aronofsky-sean-gullatte-sci-fi

and, a particular favorite here in these parts, The Amazing Burt Wonderstone...

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-17h06m11s130.png

Don't try this at home, Kids.

Introduction to trepanation

Trepanation is the practice of making a hole in the skull in order to improve the brain pulsations and hence the overall well being.

A trepan is the instrument used for making a hole in the skull bone. It is sometimes spelled trephine. The idea is to pump up the brainbloodvolume. It's known that one's level of consciousness is directly related to the volume of blood in one's brain. As a result, trepanners say, one feels happier and more energetic. The practice of trepanation has been around since the Stone Age. Trepanation is the oldest surgical procedure practiced by mankind. At no time had evidence been found that brain surgery was the intention of this procedure. To the contrary, evidence shows that from the very earliest trepanations elaborate care was taken not to penetrate below the level of the bone membrane. Care was taken not to penetrate through the dura matter. Care was taken not to damage the brain.

Procedure of trepanation and its effects on the body

An instrument called a trepan is used to make the hole. Throughout history, the trepanning tool has developed dramatically, evolving from a crude hunk of sharpened flint in prehistoric times to a hand-cranked auger in the first century to, nowadays, an electric drill. Anyway, the trepan goes into your skull and a chunk of bone is extracted. You bandage yourself up and eventually the skin heals over, leaving only a small indentation to show for the hole in your head. The idea is to pump up your brainbloodvolume. Your level of consciousness, goes Huges' theory, is directly related to the volume of blood in your brain. Babies have naturally high brainbloodvolume, being born with a soft spot at the top of their heads, the fontanel, that gives the brain room to pulse. When you look at a baby's head, you can actually see the pliant tissue at the fontanel throbbing with the baby's heartbeat, pumping oxygen through the brain. Within the first year, though, that soft tissue hardens into bone. And therein lies the problem. Once the fontanel seals off, your brain has no proper vent through which to breathe. To make matters worse, the upright stance you adopt as a toddler allows gravity to pull blood away from your head, the beginning of a lifelong drain. Pulsation decreases. Brainbloodvolume plummets. You get lethargic, estranged, depressed. By opening up that hole one may reverse nature's wayward development and return the skull to its original condition. As a result, trepanners say, you'll be happier, more energetic and less prone to crippling bouts of ennui. You'll ascend to the child's plane of acute consciousness from which you disembarked to enter the lowly malaise of adulthood.

Though doctors disagree and say it's dangerous. You expose your precious brain, you remove God's covering, there's a risk of infection and all sorts of other problems. Brain doctors seem to view this invasion of the cranium's hallowed realm as a violation of some universal taboo. More to the point, they don't approve of amateurs dipping their fingers into the neurochemical soup. But they readily agree on one point: a hole is the starting point for all neurosurgical procedures. Trepanation is performed, for example, to evacuate hemorrhages and to relieve pressure in the cranial cavity caused by cerebral ulcers. But, for neurosurgeons, the hole is a means to an end, and they put the bone back in place.

Trepanation was practiced on every continent through every time period and by every race of mankind until the advent of brain surgery in this century. Doctors give this medical advice to people that trepanation was done in past centuries for superstitious, magical or religious reasons. They generally look on trepanation as a practice akin to blood letting. They scoff at it. They deny that trepanation could have a reasonable basis. They fear that to practice trepanation would demean their professional status. They have stated that they wouldn't undertake it if their lives depended on it. And further, trepanation can't be investigated by any individual doctor because a board must be set up to approve all research projects connected to universities and hospitals. However trepanation doesn't go away. It is ingrained in our history. The ancestors of modern Europeans, the Battle-Ax people, were prodigious trepanners as well as were all other ancient peoples. There is an extensive scientific literature on trepanation both in medicine and anthropology. The risk to benefit ratio would have to have been very favorable for the practice to have been so widely practiced but official investigators haven't been able to see that there is a both a rationale and a benefit to this procedure. There seems to be a deliberate intent amongst them not to see, maybe even a conspiracy, that there is a benefit to making a hole in the skull bone. This is understandable though because if doctors and scientists recognized the benefit they would be obliged to announce to the world that upright walking humans need a hole in the head! It's unlikely that doctors will be stepping forward with this announcement anytime soon so in the meantime the public will have to educate itself and then educate the doctors.

http://www.trepanationguide.com/

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 1

I posted a bit about this another thread here somewhere ?

I detailed how I assisted in an emergency one in a hospital elevator during an emergency patient transport (I was working as an orderly) when the patient started coning ... he came to straight away and recovered well afterwards.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/coning

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I posted a bit about this another thread here somewhere ?

I detailed how I assisted in an emergency one in a hospital elevator during an emergency patient transport (I was working as an orderly) when the patient started coning ... he came to straight away and recovered well afterwards.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/coning

I was reading about this just now in a Buddhist book

Some appear to have been 'chipped off'' by a bladed blow to the skull at the right angle:

Moche Trepanation knife

TrpKnFr-d-Knif-1207.jpg

:

mpcP19jAEsm7y8WRn0N9YgA.jpg

From an anthropological perspective varieties of methods were employed:

ku-xlarge.png

trepanation.jpg

some seem to suffer from 'excessive cosmetic surgery syndrome' (even back then ) ;

Post-mortem-experiments.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

" In Europe trepanned skulls became rare after the Neolithic era, partly because in the later Bronze age and La Tène period the dead were mostly cremated " (Regnault, 1936).

The practice was known in the area that the proto-Indo-Europeans (pre Indian 'Vedic' and pre Iranian proto Zoroastrians) ;

" One of the accounts mentions that in ancient times students went to Takkasil_ (Greek Taxila) in the north-western part of the Indian subcontinent to learn the arts and sciences. At that time a famous teacher _treya, king of the physicians, lived there, to whom prince J_vaka went as an apprentice so as to learn the art of opening skulls. He watches his master extract a worm from the brain of a patient. And later when J_vaka returns to his own country he trepans, using an "opening instrument" and thus removes centipedes. Legend has it that he later became the medical adviser to Buddha. J_vaka is certainly famous in old Buddhist tests and in folklore. It is also known that these stories were carried eastward by Buddhist missions. However, in China these tales received certain additions, such as the use of acupuncture and feeling the pulse, which were not practised in ancient India. Thus the folklore became Chinese by adaptation. On the other hand the Tibetans took over the original stories and translated them without alteration. Müller feels that these folktales, and there are many, are based on fact and that trepanation must have been practised in this in this area. So far the main part of China has not revealed any trepanations (Woo, 1964), though a few have been found in her peripheral provinces. Thus there is evidence from Tibet (Boev 1959), quite apart from the folklore traditions (Jungbauer 1923). Here medical knowledge probably came into the region through Kashmir. Tallgren (1936) reports a skull with an occipital opening from Oglakty in southern Siberia which was found in a cemetery dating to the Han dynasty (202 B.C. to 220 A.D. ). "

http://www.trepanationguide.com/trepanation_in_ancient_times.htm

For goodness sake, don't you know I'm squeamish!

Ugh trepanning, who cares if it works.

There's gotta be easier ways.

On the other hand, I guess drilling a quick hole is about as easy as it comes..

• Like 1

:D check this out -while you have the power tools out:

how to cut the lingual frenulum as a necessary prerequisite for the kechari mudra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khecar%C4%AB_mudr%C4%81

My lingual frenulum is cut naturally.

This is undeniable proof that I was a highly developed Buddha in my last incarnation and now came back as a boddhisattva to help you guys to find your way to enlightenment!

Most likely I was Jesus Christ, as I was born on Easter Day to herald my role as the Lamb Of God!

To honor my sacrifice, I expect from you now to flagellate yourself into ecstasy while chanting "Dorian - Lamb Of God!" and feeding the ritual per livestream into the internet and around the world to help me increase the vibrational frequency of the planet!

Edited by Dorian Black
  • Like 2

Just lie there and keep still Dorian

<approaches him with his 17v cordless drill >

You will feel better soon.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

There's gotta be easier ways.

I think craniosacral therapy would do the trick...no drilling holes necessary. Although, interesting topic!

• Like 1

Masque+Of+A+Savage+Mandarin.jpg

"Nicholas Coad, the Savage Mandarin: detached, scientific, 'converted' into a state of 'sublime, cosmic indifference'. He is working on a unique project - the 'conversion' and liberation of the soul or higher self from chains of physical bondage. His 'patient' is his good-natured neighbour, Rogers, up-and-coming ad-man. Rogers does not realise that his piercing headaches are caused by the fearsome, hypnotic in coad's flat. But as coad brings him further along the path to liberation, he has no choice. After all, his brain now resembles a chunk of Gruyére cheese..."

Recommended reading on the subject.