ALA

How novices can learn about Qigong and Taoism?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend the best way/resources to learn about Taoism and Qigong in particular?

I did my research and I came up with:

1. “The healing promise of Qi” by Roger Jahnke. Although the book does not engross me.

2 “The root of Chinese Qigong” by Yang Jwing-Ming. Once I am done with this one I will continue with his other more advanced books. How are his videos?

3. Daniel Reid’s books. Which one is good to start with?

Are they good choices? Anything else? Any good websites?

I have tried to read some topics on the forum but it is mostly over my head. I have not seen anything for novices. Is there anything for complete beginners here on the forum?

Thank you for your help.

Daniel Reid's Book: A Complete Guide To Chi Gong(氣功) is a very good book for information about Chi Gong but it does not have a good method of Chi Gong to learn it on your own. Btw I have this book and used many times as reference.

You should get the book and read it to get an idea what Chi Gong is all about before you go into practicing it. Also, there is no need to be in a hurry to learn about Taoism. Just do one thing at a time.

FYI....
Daniel Reid practice western medicine as a doctor. He has very good knowledge about TCM. He married a Taiwanese woman which helped him to translate the Chi Gong information from Chinese to English. In addition, he used modern science in relation to explain the traditional Chinese concepts. When I was reading his English book, it seems as I was reading it in Chinese. It comes that close. I think he did a good job in the translation.

Edited by ChiDragon

I would read Dr. Jahnke's earlier book "The Healer Within" first, it inspired me to go through his program (I liked the one you listed too). I really like Ken Cohen's "The Way of Qigong," it's just packed with interesting information (even the footnotes) and would give you a good overview of the discipline. In my opinion, Dr. Yang's book that you mention is a little too advanced for beginners. He has another one called "Qigong for Health and Martial Arts" that I would recommend reading first. It also includes some practices that you can do, unlike "The Root of Chinese Qigong." I liked Reid's "Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity" and "Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing." He includes some naturopathic practices that aren't especially Chinese (vitamins, fasting, colonics, etc.) but still very good. He also does include some qigong practices that you can do on your own.

You might start with Damo Mitchell's book Daoist Nei Gong. It presents qigong in a context of Daoist cultivation.

Also Bruce Frantzis' book Opening the Energy Gates of the Body is a good intro to the topic as well.

• Like 1

hello would you recommend any book or DVD or website that has a step-by-step routine or program for beginner to follow day by day - i mean practice, exercises - like lifting weights routine and diet plan but with taoist internal alchemy excercises ? i dont need to read all the history and theory and philosophy - iam not going to be a professor of Taoism... i am a western guy who wants to DO THE EXCERCISES and feel the benefits... this is not ignorance, its getting to the core purpose - the excercises... rather than 200 pages of theory and history...

id love to have a personal trainer guiding me through the routine from day 1 to day 365 and further... i dont want real person i rather prefer book, dvd or web...

any recommendations ?

for that matter is there a book recomendation thread ?

a book FAQ ?

Edited by mizpulyn

If you are going to be practicing without a teacher, then I think this type of qigong is reasonably safe to practice on your own if you practice in the way this guy shows it, and don't try to change the practice from the way he shows it. In my experience you can start getting beneficial results fairly quickly from this type of qigong practice.

Here are some videos demonstrating the practice.

This guy also has some books on this type of practice as well.

"Stand Still Be Fit" - zhan zhuang qigong practice - by Lam Kam Chuen

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_ecCMHqqpBazYiUv3Sg8Q

This is his book on this same sort of zhan zhuang qigong practice as shown in the videos:

"The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise" - by Lam Kam Chuen

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Energy-Mastering-Internal-Strength/dp/0671736450/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393345547&sr=1-1

I haven't read his book, but his zhan zhuang qigong practice shown in the videos is a good presentation in my opinion. The book will likely explain more details for the beginner to get a better understanding of the standing practice.

Edited by NotVoid
  • Like 2

If anybody tells you do not breathe when practicing Chi Kung, then stay away from those individuals; and go to the one that tells you to do abdominal breathing(AB. However, abdominal breathing is not so easy to get there without some practice for sometime. I would start with this fundamental thing first. FYI Regardless what others tell you, they may tell you to do lots of other things. However, you might be wasting lots of effort without doing AB.

Edited by ChiDragon

What is termed qigong includes all sorts of different practices and methods, some of which just use natural breathing. In the practices where the breathing is not focused on and is kept natural, what is termed natural may 'naturally' change by itself over time without any special intention or intervention by the practitioner. :)

Edited by NotVoid

Try finding a good teacher who has learned according to a defined transmission/lineage ('enlightened' master to humble, dedicated and respectful apprentice). For example:

Gong Baozhai (master) > He Jinghan (student)

"I lived with him from 1974 and was his disciple for 21 years, until he died at 96."

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2007/09/23/2003380129

You can't remove the human heart from learning. Books and DVDs are OK to supplement the above but can't/shouldn't form the main basis of practice.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hello,

Can anyone recommend the best way/resources to learn about Taoism and Qigong in particular?

Are they good choices? Anything else? Any good websites?

I have tried to read some topics on the forum but it is mostly over my head. I have not seen anything for novices. Is there anything for complete beginners here on the forum?

Thank you for your help.

Well, regarding getting the basics on daoism, there is a cartoon version of parts of the "Zhuangzi" on Youtube:

The CCTV documentary series on the sages of the bamboo grove and the one on daoism on Wudangshan is also nice:

Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove:

Wudang Mountain, Cradle of Taoism:

Edited by beyonder
  • Like 1

Also Bruce Frantzis' book Opening the Energy Gates of the Body is a good intro to the topic as well.

Bruce Frantzis is good.

Highly recommended.

Start in the shine of the sun

and feel nature arise within you

you are one part earth and one part heaven

be good, ward off disorder gently

then I am sure the best will get to you!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

..and oh' .... invest in loss

• Like 1

Books, DVDs, Internet, it's all great to learn ABOUT qigong but you will never LEARN qigong without an instructor.

one learns qigong by doing qigong. it is thru the experience of doing qigong that one learns its attributes.

• Like 5

Its good to be educated, but beware of getting too head heavy. Doing is better then learning. Its really about finding a few things. Finding a good system of seated meditation, standing, moving and healing. Nice if it includes solid philosophy too.

Example, I like the Pan Gu chi qigong form for its simplicity. Here it is on youtube, as interpreted by Michael Winn

• Like 1

Books, DVDs, Internet, it's all great to learn ABOUT qigong but you will never LEARN qigong without an instructor.

Agree.