Jetsun

The only real immortals are:

Still not immortal, though very impressive.

Sadly, all things that come into being also must perish.

• Like 2

Near immortals .... fungus ;

" occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-largest-organism-is-fungus/

• Like 4

Ah there are lots of immortals, and us humans think we are so superior :)

yeah it is true that there are no true immortals, Gurdjieff said that even those who attain what people call immortality that is preserving their consciousness in their astral body after death have to die in the end, it is just they survive for such a long time comparatively to the regular human life that people called them immortal, but even they must die in the end.

yeah it is true that there are no true immortals, Gurdjieff said that even those who attain what people call immortality that is preserving their consciousness in their astral body after death have to die in the end, it is just they survive for such a long time comparatively to the regular human life that people called them immortal, but even they must die in the end.

Yes, but that is the 2nd or astral death. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this ... also the astral body is very attached to the emotional reactions from incarnation experiences . That's bound to create an attraction to the past as we have a need to resolve those things.

Yet, there is 'that which survives' ... the trick seems to be to 're-wire', or perhaps be able to 'download' into that which survives.

" It is not that utterly worthless part of Man , his individual consciousness ... which defies death - that consciousness that dies and is reborn in every thought. That which persists (if anything persists) is ... a quality of which he was probably never conscious in his life.

" Even that does not persist unchanged. It is always growing. The cross is a barren stick, and the petals of the rose fall and decay: but in the union of the Cross and Rose is a constant succession of new lives. Without the death of the individual the new cycle would be broken.

" The magician becomes identical with the immortal Osiris, and yet the Magician dies ... one could possible say that the Magician becomes conscious of that part of himself which he calls the immortal Osiris: and that part does not 'die'.

" DE ADEPTIS R. C. ESCHATOLOGIA - Ch 183

http://hermetic.com/crowley/book-of-wisdom-or-folly/tbwf4.html

Ed: Ch 193.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

We are all immortal and we will all die. Go figure....

maybe some missed their punctuation class...

I'm mortal was what they walked away with ;)

• Like 2

Gurdjieff is simply simply restating ideas at least as old as the Stoics. They are like most ideas both correct and incorrect as far as they go . . .

We are all immortal and we will all die. Go figure....

Steve has the right idea, it might be better stated, we are all immortal, we will experience birth, we will experience death and we will do it over and over again until . . .

and this is where Nungali takes over:

Yes, but that is the 2nd or astral death. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this ... also the astral body is very attached to the emotional reactions from incarnation experiences . That's bound to create an attraction to the past as we have a need to resolve those things.

Yet, there is 'that which survives' ... the trick seems to be to 're-wire', or perhaps be able to 'download' into that which survives.

The opinions of little Eddie Alexander whom Nungali then quotes can be satisfactorily ignored. After all, Gurdgieff is rumored to have said that little Eddie was too clever for his own good. Gurdgieff may have been also.

I would say that our body is to 'that which survives' as our shadow is to our body, and we are like people who are so fascinated with the shadow that we forget ourselves and watch it all the time. When the sun goes down and the shadow vanishes we think that we have vanished. When the sun reappears and we see that shadow again we believe ourselves reborn. That which survives is that which casts the shadow, and our bodies and our lives here are just the shadow of that which survives.

It is not necessary to download 'us' into 'that which survives' since that which survives is already everything that are are, have been or ever will be and more. Rewiring involves stopping being obsessed with the shadow and entering into the fullness of 'that which survives' and can be achieved in a variety of ways.

What I have described here is better described in the language of mathematics, but I don't have time to do that now. Its relevance was demonstrated by Special Relativity and especially Minkowski's reformulation of Special Relativity in terms of four dimensional Space/Time. Simply put our bodies, which we confuse with our 'selves' are but the shadows of a being that exists in at least four dimensions, but we happily chase our shadows, like dogs chase their tails.

In some ways what I have described is like Plato's Allegory of the Cave, it uses similar language and images. I suppose the most contemporary statement would be that we are like someone who is so wrapped up in a virtual reality video game, that they have forgotten that it is a game and that there is a 'reality' outside of those goggles and headphones.

That's my take on the business anyway.

• Like 4

The only real "immortal" is that which sees death die. (and is alive beyond life and death, it's that simple yet obviously un-provable although many others have more or less pointed to the the same meaning)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Gurdjieff is simply simply restating ideas at least as old as the Stoics. They are like most ideas both correct and incorrect as far as they go . . .

Steve has the right idea, it might be better stated, we are all immortal, we will experience birth, we will experience death and we will do it over and over again until . . .

and this is where Nungali takes over:

The opinions of little Eddie Alexander whom Nungali then quotes can be satisfactorily ignored. After all, Gurdgieff is rumored to have said that little Eddie was too clever for his own good. Gurdgieff may have been also.

Well ... 'adepts' often say such things about each other ;)

I would say that our body is to 'that which survives' as our shadow is to our body, and we are like people who are so fascinated with the shadow that we forget ourselves and watch it all the time. When the sun goes down and the shadow vanishes we think that we have vanished. When the sun reappears and we see that shadow again we believe ourselves reborn. That which survives is that which casts the shadow, and our bodies and our lives here are just the shadow of that which survives.

Yes, that is a way of looking at it. The higher concept seemed to be solar , but 'back then' (and within all 'dying god' models ) the shadow and body on earth aspires to solar consciousness which dies and is reborn (from the earth perspective) each day (or lifetime ) ... but we know different nowadays ... the Sun never sets from the solar perspective.

That indicates that what happens is the terrestrial sphere (where our bodies incarnate and cast shadows) rotates away from the Sun ; similarly , our process - between incarnations, has a process of 'forgetfulness' ... where each incarnation seems a one off separate unit instead of chapters in a learning process, it has some benefits but also some disadvantages.

One can have an advantage living each day anew but to have each day totally unconnected or not remembered from the ones before it can lead one to being caught on a wheel that seems to just go around and around and not get anywhere.

There are also a lot of writings about this 'between incarnations' veil that is dropped over our remembrances, including from Crowley but ... since they can be 'satisfactorily ignored ' ;) ... so I attempt to paraphrase.

It is not necessary to download 'us' into 'that which survives' since that which survives is already everything that are are, have been or ever will be and more. Rewiring involves stopping being obsessed with the shadow and entering into the fullness of 'that which survives' and can be achieved in a variety of ways.

Its more download experience ... that which had the experience and translated it is throw- away, disposable container ... I am talking about drinking the drink , and not throwing away the container full of the drink.

I am not talking about being obsessed with the shadow, ... I am talking about 'remembering lessons' so we dont have to keep doing them over and over and over again:

" HERMANUBIS. Noon. Brother Typhon, what is the place?

TYPHON. The summit of Olympus. Brother Hermanubis, what is thy position.

HERMANUBIS. Upon the rim of the Wheel. And thine?

TYPHON. Upon the rim of the Wheel.

HERMANUBIS. Let us seek the centre of the Wheel.

[They with SPHINX rise and walk, faster and faster round the rim, returning exhausted to their places.]

TYPHON. Brother Hermanubis, we are no nearer to the centre of the wheel.

HERMANUBIS. We are no nearer to the centre of the wheel.

TYPHON. Hast thou no message from the Gods?

HERMANUBIS. None, brother. "

:P ... but you may be right ... apparently Crowley can (or needs to) be ignored :

" C.I.C.T. What shines upon your foreheads?

S.H.T. (together). The Eye within the Triangle.

C.I.C.T. What burns upon your breasts?

S.H.T. (together). The Rosy Cross.

C.I.C.T. Brethren of the Rosy Cross! Aspirants to the Silver Star! Not until these are ended can ye come to the centre of the wheel. "

What I have described here is better described in the language of mathematics, but I don't have time to do that now. Its relevance was demonstrated by Special Relativity and especially Minkowski's reformulation of Special Relativity in terms of four dimensional Space/Time. Simply put our bodies, which we confuse with our 'selves' are but the shadows of a being that exists in at least four dimensions, but we happily chase our shadows, like dogs chase their tails.

In some ways what I have described is like Plato's Allegory of the Cave, it uses similar language and images. I suppose the most contemporary statement would be that we are like someone who is so wrapped up in a virtual reality video game, that they have forgotten that it is a game and that there is a 'reality' outside of those goggles and headphones.

What I am talking about is a 'virtual reality game' that is 'written; with an inherent and perhaps subtle and masked purpose ... a gradual educational process . If one forgets what happened each time one played it one may never realise the accrued content of learning from the game.

I suppose it all depends on what one's view is of the program writer - and what games one chooses to play ... is it an educational one or is it all just about popping bullets into ' foreign-looking peoples' heads ?

That's my take on the business anyway.

Ditto

Except to add there may be another level of 'immortality' related to 'genetic awareness' - the Farther is only reborn in the Son (instead of re-born in the Sun) ... and possibly a third ,,, when we get off our modern and civilised concept of ego self. In some indigenous cultures , when communion with the ancestors is well established , and a 'line of conciousness' is consciously connected with ancestors .... so they are seen as different phases or extensions of one being ...

I sorta get that but when they try to explain how it also relates to future descendants ... I get lost a bit in that ... maybe this relates to your : " It is not necessary to download 'us' into 'that which survives' since that which survives is already everything that are are, have been or ever will be and more." ? I think my aboriginal friends would like that statement :)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

My first wand was of Yew.

A thin three foot switch I had sanded down to perfection, with a rustic bark handle and pronged horns at the end.

I would whirl it around to stir the prana.

" The magician becomes identical with the immortal Osiris, and yet the Magician dies ... one could possible say that the Magician becomes conscious of that part of himself which he calls the immortal Osiris: and that part does not 'die'.

Tremble before me, oh mortals!

Peerless Invocation of Thoth Hermanubis

The breeze doth blow o'er waters pure,

The fire doth dance, the earth endure!

The Ibis King doth flex his fingers,

And summons the spirits of dead ringers.

The Swift descends in blazing glory,

And melts the rime frost, cold and hoary.

His helm is gold, his visage bright.

Ascendant is the Lord of Light!

Finally, shalt come the Judge,

Whose verdict may no mortal fudge.

The dervish digits snap, pop and crackle.

The Word doth foreshadow the Jackal.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Near immortals .... fungus ;

" occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-largest-organism-is-fungus/

Yet the most important question has not been asked....

Is it good fried up with a little butter and garlic? ;)

• Like 1

Lobsters, also practically immortal.

Or it least it seems like they do not die of natural causes as far a scientists can tell. Also, they continue to grow indefinitely, it is theorized that there could be lobsters as big as city buses at the bottom of the ocean.

You got me curious, so I looked it up a bit.

? ? ?

" Scientists cannot be sure how long lobsters would live if they were simply left to exist — it wouldn’t be for centuries because of physical wear and tear, but it would certainly be for a lot longer than similar marine creatures "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2418252/Do-lobsters-hold-key-eternal-life-Forget-gastronomic-indulgence-crustacean-defy-ageing-process.html

" It takes an American lobster 6-7 years to get to an edible size, but that is just the beginning. Lobsters are long-lived animals, and are thought to be capable of living over 100 years. "

http://marinelife.about.com/od/invertebrates/tp/LobsterFacts.htm

" The exceptional ages attained by some of the largest lobsters (males: average 31 years, maximum 42 ± 5 years; females: average 54 years, maximum 72 ± 9 years) are explained by ageing theory, indicate natural mortality rates, M, of 0.15 and 0.08 for males and females, respectively, and point to the existence of an offshore refuge."

http://neurodojo.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/all-lobsters-are-mortal.html

Any living thing is part of an unbroken chain ,corals , aspen , even ants , and humans, that you, a human ,somehow stands apart from their ancestors or decendants or even relatives is just an impression based on the delineations one decides to draw. To a degree , one has a reason to draw a line around onesself , and say THIS IS ME ! because the content of it is that which we have some control over , that we sense directly. But one could draw that line more broadly, and extend it to our possessions , or groups , such as schools, races . We could also draw it more narrowly , to our body parts , our cells or dna or mind, or our bodies at this precise instant of time, etc.

Depending on how one draws these mental lines , one can potentially see themselves as part only of a lineage , or perhaps part of life , and then .. the definition of immortal could both extend to anyone , ,, or it could fall apart being meaningless. Indicative only of an illusion we held , or hold.

• Like 1

Lobsters, also practically immortal.

Or it least it seems like they do not die of natural causes as far a scientists can tell. Also, they continue to grow indefinitely, it is theorized that there could be lobsters as big as city buses at the bottom of the ocean.

Like that famous Lama - Lobster Rampa known for his unshellfish nature.

(sorry)!

• Like 4

Like that famous Lama - Lobster Rampa known for his unshellfish nature.

(sorry)!

Was he as big as a city bus too??

(sorry x 2)