Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

The Raven's Tale

The Raven s Tale. ( Corvus Crater Hydrae .) Part 1.

{Apologies to Ovid and Crowley.}

Hydra-Corvus-and-Crater-constellations-i

“ Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -

`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!

Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!

Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!

Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore. “

Once upon a time a young raven was circling around the southern heavens, looking rather glum. A voice addressed him; “Why so glum Brother Raven?”

The raven turned, and there amongst the stars was a man with a bow and arrow and the body of a horse.

“ Well, it was not always like this you know.” The raven said. “ Things used to be quiet good but then there were some complications with my boss’s girlfriend and that business with that big cup there and this troublesome sea serpent creature / monster thing, to both of whom, I now seem firmly attached.”

He flapped and fluttered his wings but he could not seem to separate himself from them nor move through the stars.

“Well, we all have our issues. Tell me about yours?” asked the centaur.

“Issues? I don’t have issues,” said the Raven , “I am just there and things happen to me … it does not have ANYTHING to do with me! I am purely a victim of circumstances”

The Centaur smiled and said “Young raven ! Is there any such thing? I doubt it, for we all play a part in the events that unfold around us. Well then, tell me what happened and we will see if we can work out a solution to your dilemma together.”

“Very well, “ Raven answered him. “ It all started back when I was with my master , Apollo. He bid me observe the affairs of gods and men and report back to him, that being my duty, ordained by Zeus, how could I refuse it?. The same as I could not refuse my other duty, to disperse amongst men the prophesies of my master Apollo so men may know the will of Zeus. All went well until that business with the woman.

“One day when pulling Helios across the sky in his chariot he saw the nymph Corona of Larissa, the fairest maid of all Aemonia. Apollo courted Corona and things seem good. Apollo was happy with her and she was known to have a ‘grateful charm’, to be a joy to him and faithful in love … while none defamed her chastity.

“But, unfortunately for me, one day I observed from high perch, that very same Corona laying in a field with a lad … who was certainly NOT Apollo. Being faithful to my master’s charge, I immediately leapt from my perch, spread out my white wings and beat them as fast as I could to propel myself home to my master’s abode and report to him this new development. Just as I am bound to spread forth amongst the people my master Apollo’s prophecies and reveal the will of Zeus.

“But a crow followed me. A noisy busy-body prattling crow, curious of my alarm and quick flight and what it was I observed. After me the prattling Crow followed with flapping wings, eager to learn what caused this Raven's haste “Tell not what you have seen” her black beak chattered and the crow started prattling out her story;

‘ A long time ago, the god Vulcan fathered a son, Erichthonius, under strange circumstances. He tried to rape Minerva but didn't succeed. Instead, his seed fell down to earth; from where it landed, up sprang Erichthonius. Minerva seemed to want to cover the whole thing up, so she hid the child in a basket. She then made this basket the responsibility of the three daughters of Cecrops, an ancient king of Athens. Then she made them swear never to look inside it.

‘Two of the daughters, Pandrosos and Herse, obeyed the goddess, but the third, Aglauros, peeked inside – and a saw a baby with a serpent curled up beside him. Then she went to Minerva and tattled on Aglauros. Minerva was so displeased that she forbade me to be her special bird any longer; from that point on, her friends have been owls and I have been ignored. Beware Raven that the same fate awaits you.’

‘ Out of my way Crow’, I told her,’ I must do my duty and report to my master.’ But she persisted.

‘Well’, said the Crow,’ you might think that I never was Minerva's special bird in the first place. If you do, you're wrong. To prove it, I will tell you a second story. A long time ago, I used to be a beautiful princess, with many suitors. But then, one day, while I was walking along the beach, the god of the Ocean saw me and became amorous. But I wanted nothing to do with him.

‘He pursued me, so I prayed to the gods for help. The only one who listened was Minerva, herself a virgin, who transformed me into a crow. This how I became Minerva's bird. But now I have been disowned and the owl has taken my place , who also used to be Princess, although nowhere near as fair as I and whose morals were poorly lacking – the little tart!.’

“ Now replied I to the Crow, that talked so much, `A mischief fall upon your prating head for this detention of my flight. Your words and warnings I despise.' With which retort I winged upon my journey, swiftly thence in haste, despite the warning, to inform my patron, Apollo how I saw the fair Coronus with a lad of Thessaly.

“As I began my story he was playing his harp and singing, then he stared at me, he dropped his plectrum and his laurel wreath, and his bright countenance went white with rage. He seized his trusted arms, and having bent his bow, pierced with a deadly shaft that bosom which so often he had pressed against his own.

“But Corona was with child. She moaned in pain,--and as she drew the keen shaft from the wound, her snow-white limbs were bathed in purple blood: and thus she wailed, `Ah, Apollo! Punishment is justly mine! But wherefore didst thou not await the hour of birth? For by my death an innocent is slain.' This said, her soul expired with her life-blood, and death congealed her drooping form.

“ Sadly the love-lore God did repent his jealous deed; regret too late his ready credence to this Raven's tale. Mourning his thoughtless deed and blaming myself, he vents his rage upon this very bird; he hates his bow, the string, his own right hand, the fateful arrow, anything but himself and his jealous rage. As a last resort, and thus to overcome her destiny, he strove to cherish her beloved form; for vain were all his medicinal arts. But when he saw upraised the funeral pyre, where wreathed in flames her body should be burnt, the sorrow of his heart welled forth in sighs; but tearless orbed, for no celestial face may tide of woe bedew. So grieves the poor dam, when, swinging from his right the flashing axe, the butcher with a sounding blow divides the hollow temples of her sucking calf. Yet, after Apollo poured the fragrant myrrh, sweet perfumes on her breast, that now once more against his own he pressed, and after all the prematurely hastened rites were done, he would not suffer the offspring of his loins to mingle with her ashes, but he plucked from out the flames, forth from the mother's thighs his child, unborn, and carried to the cave of double-natured Chiron - a relative of thine?”

Three Magpies flew in from some higher heaven and alighted along a string of nearby stars.

“Your story attracts others that long to hear,” The Centaur observed.

“It is the Chorus,” Raven told him, “ every time this story is told they insist, very annoyingly , in my opinion, to sing in sweet melody and rhyme their version of the events told.”

“Complaining Raven,” said the first Magpie, “ This is a Holy event which we must always commemorate. The God's most holy presence asks the hymn, the solemn hymn, the hymn of agony, lest, in the air of glory that surrounds the child of Semele, we lose the earth and corporal presence of the Zeus-begot.’

Magpie 2: Yea, sisters, raise your voices.

Magpie 3: Ay, we sing:

All Magpies:

Hail, child of Semele!

To her as unto thee

Be reverence, be deity, be immortality!

Shame! treachery of the spouse

Of the Olympian house,

Hera! thy grim device against the sweet carouse!

Lo! ~ in red roar and flame

Did Zeus descend! What claim

To feel the immortal fire had then the Theban dame!

Caught in that fiery wave,

Her love and life she gave

With one last kissing cry the unborn child to save.

And thou, O Zeus, the sire

Of Bromius--hunter dire!--

Didst snatch the unborn babe from that Olympian fire:

Magpie 1; “In thine own thigh most holy

That offspring melancholy

Didst hide, didst feed, on light, ambrosia, and moly.

Magpie 2: Ay! and with serpent hair

And limbs divinely fair

Didst thou, Dionysus, leap forth to the nectar air!

Magpie 2 ; “Ay! thus the dreams of fate

We dare commemorate,

Twining in lovesome curls the spoil of mate and mate.

All Magpies: “O Dionysus, hear!

Be close, be quick, be near,

Whispering enchanted words in every curving ear!

O Dionysus, start

As the Apollonian dart!

Bury thy horned head iiiiinn

Ev – eeeeery bleed - innnnng heeeeaaaart!”

“They always go for a big finish” Raven told the Centaur. “Now, if I may continue?”

• Like 1

With apologies to Ovid and Crowley and of course Nungali-

My Mars in Centaur made me do it.

Three Magpies flew in from some higher heaven and alighted along a string of nearby stars.

All done to the delightful cadences of my favorite Rossini overture.

Got to love those magpies!

Now you may continue.
  • Like 1

Now you may continue.

Thankyou :)

The magpies flew off.

“Then to him he called this foolish truthful Raven, high in hopes of large requital due for all his words; but, angry with his meddling ways. He frothed, he fumed and turned red. He burst forth fire that filled the temple and I , caught up in the conflagration had my pearly plumes engulfed. So fierce was the fire of his own guilt and shame expelled forth my very beautiful plumage was scorched and turned from pearly white to deep dark black and he forbade me forever more to perch among the favoured birds whose plumes are white."

“And then, to add insult to injury he spoke:

‘Wanton babbler! see thy fate !

Messenger of mine no longer,

Go to Hades with thy prate!

Weary Pluto with thy tattle!

Hither, monster, come not back;

And — to match thy disposition —

Henceforth be thy plumage black !’

“Much concerned I hurriedly departed his presence and flew up into the highest branch of the highest tree and hid myself within the leaves and shadows until his blood and temper cooled.”

……….

“After much time passed and grief was done and Gods and men passed on to other things Apollo deemed it was time to give thanks for better fortune and arranged to give a feast to Jupiter and requiring the best water, finally spoke unto me.

‘Raven, go, my bird,’ said Apollo, ‘that naught may delay the pious rites, and bring a little water from fair and running springs.’ I caught up the sacred gilded bowl of Apollo in my hooked claws and flew aloft on this airy journey to far Lerna, where lies a region of springs and the Alcyonian Lake.

“Upon my aerial approach I noticed the most bright and sparkling body of water and alighted upon a nearby tree to rest before I filled the cup. I noticed a beautiful sweet aroma filled the air. Looking about I saw the tree was laden with the largest, juiciest, purple figs I have seen, their juice overflowed from around their stem and had run down the fruit and dried in a crystalline coating of fig sugar. Of course I tried one. And then another. It wasn’t that they were so good, but being on a Holy mission, I realised I must have my strength for the journey back, carrying the filled cup. So I ate some more … and some more.

“ After some time, when I could not eat any more and my stomach was greatly distended, I realised flight with the full cup may be impeded, so, with no desire but to fulfil my duty most efficiently, and because I was now tired and drowsy, I went to sleep within the branches of that shady tree.

“Upon awakening I noticed much time had passed, and somewhat in a panic, I snatched up the sacred cup and alighted down to the pool below. I must admit that concern plagued my thoughts at my delay, and as I filled the cup I noticed in the depths a serpentine creature that arose and spoke to me; ‘Raven, why do you take this precious water?’

‘Do not distract me.’ I told her , ‘You of many heads, return to the depths of your pool while I go about my sacred charge.’ And angry at her for the delay I sunk my claws into her and lifted her up out of the water, along with the cup and flew as fast as I could back to the banquet hall.

“When I returned the Gods were parched and complaining that there was no water to quench their thirst, Apollo was furious! He called me forth to the main table where he sat with Jupiter.

‘What is this?’ he bellowed forth. ‘ Has my bird let me down again? Why did you take so long and thus allow the gods to go thirsty?’

“ I placed the sacred cup on the table and the water monster on the floor and lamented; ‘ O Great Apollo please forgive me … I would have returned much sooner, but as I went to take the water from the sweetest spring of all, this water monster arose from the depths and challenged me to my purpose. I informed her I was on a mission from you, but she blocked my way , I fought bravely against her for a great length of time, she seized the sacred cup and would not let go, so I had to bring her here thus attached.”

‘Is that so? And this is the truth?’ Apollo asked of me.

‘Yes it is.’ I replied to him.

“He stood up and walked around the banquet table and came up to me and said, ‘ Well … if it IS true, why, tell me then … you have SUCH A FAT BELLY AND FIGS SMEARED ALL OVER YOUR BEAK AND RUNNING DOWN YOUR CHEST !’ he thundered.

‘That is no water monster, that is Hera’s Hydra reared by Her under a plane-tree near the source of the River Amymone, the worst she has ever done is to go out onto the flat-land to raid the flocks.

‘I am impatient once again of your prattle and will have no more of any of this ! You have made the Gods throats dry and it has become hard to converse, so from now on you will have a dry throat! I command you to sing no more and instead only produce a dry croak to remind you of what you have done! By your lies you dare attempt to cheat the god of prophecy by fibs? You shall drink cool water from no spring until the figs upon the tree grow juicy once again.

‘And with that, he grabbed all three of us, myself the Cup and the Hydra and flung us up mightily into the sky and stars, to where we remain fixed unto this day. I am forever thirsty but the cup is just out of reach over there”

The Raven flapped and fluttered his wings but still he remained stuck to the Hydra and none of them moved through the stars, nor towards the cup.

“I see.” Said the Centaur. “And you see this as misfortune?”

“Of course,” said the Raven, “You do not?”

“Well I can see it another way.”

“Please go on and explain.” Said the Raven, “ I am more than willing to release myself of my entrapments and ill-fortune.”

“Very well.” Said the Centaur. “First you must realise there is another level of story behind all the things that befall us, for we are, not just fixed amongst the stars, but are the patterns of the very stars themselves and this great pattern represents, not just life and events on earth but the very nature of Man’s own soul or Psyche, as represented by our sister of the same name, in truth, we are all parts of her story. I am an important part in that, as are you, so do not give yourself lack of importance for your part is, perhaps more crucial, than you realise.”

“How is that?” asked the Raven.

“By analogy and symbol young Raven. For example you lament about your loss of colour from pearly white to deep dark black … even blue black if I may add. Have you not noticed that it is the very colour of space itself? Have you not noticed that white reflects light, hence finds difficulty in absorbing it. While black absorbs light by not reflecting it. By being black you are absorbing the light, and light is good, warm and gives life and illumination. “

“ I see,” agreed the Raven. “You seem quiet wise in your observation, so what is your function in the psyche of Man?”

“I shoot my arrows aloft and leap up after them, this gives man inspiration to follow his lofty ideals, but, for once, brother Raven, this conversation IS all about you, so never mind me for the moment.

“Let us move on to the feast for Jupiter and see if we can unfold more of your purpose and hence your illumination.”

“Very well.” Agreed the Raven.

“Firstly the spring and pool is deep water, that is a symbol of the Psyche, the deep soul of man, of which he only perceives the surface, deep within lies the many headed Hydra, which at times, can have one head and at other times many heads. It is the same thing, do not be confused, in the world of Psyche, things can be one thing and many things at the same time. Mostly men are not aware of Hydra, but occasionally she surfaces as her duty IS to protect the cared for sacred spring from those who are not ready nor worthy to receive its waters.”

“But if the pool or lake or deep water IS Man’s psyche, then Hydra being a part of that is part of Man’s psyche or soul?” asked Raven.

“That is exactly right,” answered Centaur, “ And what might that part be? What is like a snake in the soul of Man that reaches up its head through the spheres of heaven to the vast Empyrean. Yet, when Man thinks he is suffering it persecutes him on the Cross of the Elements? “

“I know not.” Responded the Raven.

“Come now Raven, you seek water, do you not? Do you not realise this burning thirst in your throat is not for mere physical water? For what you thirst and what you seek and what is contained within the Sacred Cup is the Water of Life, and to drink from it is to gain knowledge of the soul. That is your function! To drive Man along , to seek the sacred wisdom and to gain knowledge of the soul, by observing the acts and lives of the Gods and their companions … which Man calls ‘myth’.”

“I see.” The Raven contemplated. “Does not man have a force inside him that is curled up and sleeping in water, and due to certain circumstances, may arise and ascend, returning through the vast spheres which gave his incarnation form when previously descending FROM that original source and this, like a rearing serpent may return and pierce the veil into that very Empyrean?”

“Yes, that is so … and tell me, how Raven, did you come to that knowledge?”

“Well , it is still my duty to watch. The ravens on Earth do that for me and still report to me. Some time back one of them delivered unto me a strange document and in it, it had a diagram … I will show it to you.”

But just as he began to unroll it the Magpies returned and alighted again in a row upon a string of stars.

“Oh, not again! What now?” Raven lamented.

“Peace brother Raven, they portend sacred events, hear out their Chorus if you would learn.”

First Magpie: “Lift up this love of peace and bliss,

The starry soul of wine,

Destruction's formidable kiss,

The lamp of the divine:

This shadow of a nobler name

Whose life is strife, whose soul is fame!”

Second Magpie: “ I rather will exalt the soul

Of man to loftier height,

And kindle at a livelier coal

The subtler soul of light.

From these soft splendours of a dream

I turn, and seek the Self supreme.

Third Magpie; “ This world is shadow-shapen of

The bitterness of pain.

Vain are the little lamps of love!

The light of life is vain!

Life, death, joy, sorrow, age and youth

Are phantoms of a further truth.”

First Magpie: “Beyond the splendour of the world,

False glittering of the gold,

A Serpent is in slumber curled

In wisdom's sacred cold.

Life is the flaming of that flame.

Death is the naming of that name,

All Magpies: “ The forehead of the snake is bright

With one immortal star,

Lighting her coils with living light

To where the nenuphar

Sleeps for her couch.

All darkness dreams

The thing that is not, only seems. “

First Magpie; “That star upon the serpent's head

Is called the soul of man.

That light in shadows subtly shed

The glamour of life's plan.

The sea whereon that lotus grows

Is thought's abyss of tears and woes.

Second Magpie; “ Leave Sirenusa! Even Greece

Forget! they are not there!

By worship cometh not the Peace,

The Silence not by prayer.

Leave the illusions, life and time

And Death, and seek that star sublime,

All Magpies; “ Until the lotus and the sea

And snake no longer are,

And single through Eternity

Exists alone the Star,

And utter Knowledge rise, and cease

In that which is beyond the Peace!”

They fly off.

“ They are eloquent … I will give them that. Now, where was I? Oh yes, this diagram one of my raven’s bought to me.” Raven unfolded it and showed it to Centaur.

the-golden-dawns-tree-of-life.png

On a more serious side note ('serious' side notes must be in a minor key), since you quote Poe's 'Raven':

“ Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore. “

I believe that there is a theme to the poem, which emerges at its start and is affirmed at its end:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this and nothing more."

. . .

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadows on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted--nevermore
!

Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

Historically aspects of the poem can be traced to Burger's famous ballad Lenore:

Wikipedia on Gottfried August Burger's Lenore

and note that in 'Eleonora', Poe has the same theme, but reverses the gender roles:

Edgar Allan Poe, Eleonora

But I have further thought that it and the whole of Poe's work should be considered in the light of his 'Sonnet: to Science', which since it is short, I will quote entire:

Science! true daughter of Old Time thou art!
Who alterest all things with thy peering eyes.
Why preyest thou thus upon the poet's heart,
Vulture, whose wings are dull realities?

How should he love thee? or how deem thee wise?
Who wouldst not leave him in his wandering
To seek for treasure in the jewelled skies,
Albeit he soared with an undaunted wing?
Hast thou not dragged Diana from her car?
And driven the Hamadryad from the wood
To seek a shelter in some happier star?
Hast thou not torn the Naiad from her flood,
The Elfin from the green grass, and from me
The summer dream beneath the tamarind tree?
Edgar Allan Poe, 'Sonnet: To Science (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

As part of the Romanticist protest against the 'scientific reductionism' which then as now both attempted to crush spirituality, with its refrain of 'tis this and nothing more' and out from whose shadow even to this day our souls have hardly been lifted.

The Gothic horror of Poe's work may be seen as an attempted reminder, and a ghostly one at that, that:

There are more things in Heaven and Earth . . .
William Shakespeare; Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

than the pseudo-rationalism of reductionist materialism would allow us to believe.

As a purely personal note, definitely in a minor key, one of the great loves of my life was named Lenore, her father having been a big fan of Poe.

“That is strange indeed brother Raven, but it is not unusual for Man to try to understand things thus. Although obscure, we can see them struggling towards understanding of the concepts. And that reminds me … on that note … excuse me for one moment.”

Centaur drew an arrow from his quiver and notched it in the bow, drew it back mightily and shot it high into the heavens. It left behind a trail of sparks that turned into a magnificent rainbow.

“Just a little assistance for them to follow in this matter. Now, back to business. It appears you have comprehension of the process and now can see how one side of our worthy Hydra is that spirit in Man’s soul that may rise above and comprehend the Greater God?”

“Yes.” Responded Raven “but what does this have to do with suffering ? And why does Hydra at times have many heads and not one.”

“Because men sometimes cannot see it that way, they have trouble seeming unity as they live in duality, and duality spreads to triplicity and before you know it you have multiplication of forms . So sometimes it is explained in that multiplication of forms.”

“How so?” asked Raven.

“Have you seen the reverse of the diagram that was delivered to you?”

“Reverse ? … It has a reverse? “

“Raven!” Centaur admonished. “You must really learn to pay attention, it is very frustrating to the forces that be and rule our development and spiritual growth when they drop things in our lap and we hardly notice! Turn it over and look at the other side.”

after.gif

“Well that IS rather strange. I am wondering what all those heads represent? I know not what in Man has many heads.”

“The serpent is inside Man ... but man has another part that is enclosed and how do you think that function looks out from man and observes the physical Universe around him?”

“Why, through his senses of course,’ Raven answered “ Aha! I see it!” He counted them out on his wing feathers; “ 1, the eyes for sight, 2, the nose for smell, 3, the mouth for speech and to take in nourishment, 4, the skin to feel and 5 the ears to hear. But the Hydra has nine heads does she not? There are several senses missing. Man only has 5 senses. ”

“Did you not listen to the Magpies chorus? ‘The forehead of the snake is bright with one immortal star’ and ‘That star upon the serpent's head Is called the soul of man.’ “

“Ah yes!” responded Raven, “That eye on the brow that sees in spirit is its head and its tail lies in man’s reproductive organs … its all curled up together but when the snake awakens … and comes up from the depths of the water it must make sure the person is worthy to receive its blessing … “ he thinks a bit more … “ and that connects Man’s sacred creative ability with his inner vision … that’s rather clever … whoever thought of that . I see why it is not shown on the diagram as it is hidden within the body, but man, on a higher and more subtle plane sees through that secret eye. But that is only six?”

“Yes,” agreed Centaur, “but we can count the sexual organs and the mystic eye as two.”

“And that only gives us seven …”

“That is so brother Raven … but consider other parts of the Magpie’s chorus; ‘And kindle at a livelier coal the subtler soul of light. From these soft splendours of a dream I turn, and seek the Self supreme.” And “Lighting her coils with living light, to where the nenuphar sleeps ... All darkness dreams - The thing that is not, only seems. “

“Well that is the dream world and the mirror of and the realm of Man’s soul … ah yes, that even more secret eye at the base of the back of the Man’s skull. … still, only 8 though.”

“That’s right! But Man has one more opening, by which he expels all forms no longer needed once their energy is extracted. In Man, on the physical plane he has the anus. Man is an oraganism formed around a hollow tube ... so to speak.

“Of course!” said Raven “ I had forgotten about that. But I am getting a little confused did not Hercules cut the heads off the Hydra in another story, thus defeating her ?”

“Hercules!” cried Centaur in disdain. “Hercules’ journey is about Man’s literalist approach, and how his ego opposes lost soul. Of course soul can NEVER be defeated by ego … it may seem to be suppressed for a time but like all suppression it resurfaces in different ways and in multiples of itself.

“If you remember the story, the thing that happened when Hercules cut off any of the Hydras heads was, firstly, water gushed out … he released the waters of the depths contained within the depths of Man’s psyche. And secondly each neck then grew three heads. This is because when man cannot understand singularity - the Empyrean, firstly manifests in Triplicity; the thing itself and how it manifests in the world of duality, thus the mortals always have lessons in Triplicity; Life – birth & death, Tao – Yin & Yang, Humanity – man & woman and recently electrical charge – positive and negative … and so on …”

“And” Raven interrupted, ”on this diagram, on both sides we see that unity, and below are the nine heads, making the ten, and also the first three above, with the 7 below … and I assume those 7 relate to the 7 stars that wander about the sky, unfixed - in compasion to us?”

“Now you are getting the hang of it.” Centaur told him.

“But Man sees these things as bad things as well?”

“Ah yes! But Man perceives in duality; He sees one thing as two things that are separate and then separate men decide which side of duality is reality. So then is Man in conflict; man against man. The man of Wisdom however sees One and all men as one. To some men, and in Man at some times, there is a view that these eyes, or senses, or processes of the One are hindrances. Some have called them ‘sore spots’ and are offended by their various functions. In duality they can be seen as ‘either’ levels through which Men have fallen, and hence are barriers to the One, or stages through which Man can ascend and comprehend the One. But like your parchment and diagrams, they are, of course two sides of the one parchment. If one holds it up to the Light and allow Light to pass through it and illuminate it and that same light strikes one’s eye than the One and one image can be seen.”

“I see.” Pondered Raven and was silent for a moment … “But what has all this to do with me?” he asked.

“Your adventures are just not happenstance. Your story is a myth to instruct Man in the way of his development, if he can and has the will to develop his ability to perceive it …. Excuse me.” Centaur shot another brilliantly plumed arrow across the sky.

‘So you see, young Raven … that is getting older and wiser before my eyes, as we continue our discourse … Man must ever develop, understand and strengthen those senses, and bring them into balance so they can rise higher up the Tree of Knowledge and perceive that one Empyrean from whence they were born and to which they shall return.”

“Unto what purpose O wise Centaur?”

“ OH!” Centaur laughed, “Not even the Gods know that, that is the one thing that his hidden from even them, they themselves are not privy to any purpose of the Empyrean … that is why Man is such a mystery to us – besides the issues of their behaviour … but then again it seems not much better than the Gods at times.”

“Well, that was certainly true of Apollo! But still, here I am; stuck here and cannot move.”

Raven flapped and fluttered his wings to no avail.

“That is our fate and function. My centaurs move about and converse with me as do your ravens. It is not for us to move along Man’s path but to assist that movement. We feel that we are suspended in space unmoving, pinned in position by the unmoving stars that make up our bodies while beneath us the world spins on its axis and turns about the Sun. But from Man’s perspective, he is stuck on Earth and watches us and the heavens rotate above him. It all depends on one’s point of view.”

“Well, that is very interesting … but Man does not particularly like the Raven, he associates us with Apollo’s curse , believes we reside in hell and rule over death.”

“Well, that is partially true but if Man seeks to understand the full story, if he chooses to learn from what the Gods and us and what our stories teach him, he can understand … and many do. Have you noticed that you are no longer dry and parched and are beginning to speak wisdom instead of cawing and croaking and complaining about yourself and your situation?”

“Well, yes, now that you mention it. I do feel much better and refreshed … although I am still thirsty.”

“You have drunk some of the water of life, that water that is indeed sweet, and the water that nourishes development of the soul. But you remain thirsty as you desire more of this knowledge. And that, dear Raven, is your precious gift to man, the thirst that inspires him ever onward to seek hidden knowledge, clothed in symbol analogy and myth (as that is the language of the soul), and to continually advance.” He shot another brilliant arrow into space.

“But Man doesn’t realise that, he shuns the darkness and fears it.” Raven protested.

“Not all Men … some realise the depths of their psyche holds the key to release their soul, they have understood that repression of this realm by their ego only causes more complications and difficulty. Those are the types that do you honour. And you must, regardless of what they say about you, or how they treat you, expose this world to all, you must rip open the covering and expose their truth, or false hoods within so they must learn from them … and you must never give up … as your ravens on earth know by instinct.”

“Well I must say this is all food for thought … it is great food though … and I feel somewhat more satisfied with my lot than ever … although I must admit I am STILL hungry.”

Centaur laughed …”Of course you are ! And so shall you remain, feasting and drinking amongst the stars, finding satisfaction but never being completely satisfied ... and that, of course is the way it should be. Eventually Man will reach a further understanding, and with that a new golden age will come. The figs shall again ripen and when Apollo or Zeus uproot that tree and together with the Hydras pool, hurl it up into the heavens and the stars have moved about their greater course - which they actually do, but unseen of us and Man - You shall once again sit in that tree and eat to your content and drink the sweet water of truth and share that with Man, as that is Man’s final destiny, if he will accept it.”

Centaur drew an arrow and shot it magnificently upwards and through the stars until it virtually pierced the very Empyrean itself. It left behind a rainbow bridge that linked the Earth with the Highest Heaven.

“ And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted " .... evermore. “

Sign in to follow this