Unlearner

What is your motivation for practicing?

More or less a thing of curiosity, I kind of wonder at times what it is that draws different people to practicing, as I don't know if I understand what it is that brings people to these kinds of systems.

Connect more fully with the divine. Also the mystery and magic of it all; what is further/beyond what we presently can perceive, as well as what we can do.

• Like 4

Enlightenment/control over my rebirths/freedom from the obscuration clouding my mind.

Deeper satisfaction than the desire/stimulus/dopamine/new desire cycle gives.

Being a better person.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 4

When i started, the motives were all delusion-based, full of selfishness and totally blind to this.

Over the years, a little progress was made.

Now, i realize that everything i do is practice. Even in moments of ignorance and distraction, there is a little recognition of this. For me, this is progress. This is the flowering of awareness, which is the basis for expanding pervasiveness in meditation, until both meditation and non-meditation can be dropped.

Eventually, i would hope to reconcile all dualistic tendencies, which is the way to end all clinging and aversion.

The ending of clinging is the beginning of living without distraction. All distractions arise from subtle attachments to hope and fear.

Living undistractedly is the beginning of freedom.

Freedom is to be fully awakened in the basis of suchness.

Unbounded, liberated, extinguished.

Buddhahood.

• Like 7

See my e-sig, below...

Personally, I am completing the connection to my higher-level self, fulfilling a self-selected destiny and realigning with the Light.

The origin of my poll stemmed from a PM discussion w/ BKA in which I outlined a perspective on a semi-hierarchical spiritual ladder with strong parallels between several predominant belief systems. She was a little incredulous about people actually adopting some of the goals/objectives I mentioned and thus the poll was inspired. I found the results not surprising. :)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

Chi junkie :P

Far as I can tell, that's about it.

Flowing chi just feels soooooooo good!

The more I practice, the more I can feel, and the more available it is.

Yum.

• Like 5

Chi junkie :P

Far as I can tell, that's about it.

Flowing chi just feels soooooooo good!

The more I practice, the more I can feel, and the more available it is.

Yum.

Howdy, neighbor!

• Like 1

See my e-sig, below...

Personally, I am completing the connection to my higher-level self, fulfilling a self-selected destiny and realigning with the Light.

The origin of my poll stemmed from a PM discussion w/ BKA in which I outlined a perspective on a semi-hierarchical spiritual ladder with strong parallels between several predominant belief systems. She was a little incredulous about people actually adopting some of the goals/objectives I mentioned and thus the poll was inspired. I found the results not surprising. :)

Who me? :D

Well harmony, purpose, happiness were my goals before, but attaining tao seems to be more of a goal now im more grounded, but theyre kinda similar anyways, i guess tao isnt denying the self, but not completely affirming it either, shutting off mental noise that is unneccessary..and also to help the world and make it a better place, im not sure, but maybe being a magician/wizard is part of my destiny but im not the one doing it 100%, I also want to be as good a person as I can for the benefit of myself and others.

• Like 1

Mainly because it saved my life. I needed something to restore my health and have devoted myself to further study so I can help others.

• Like 3

Interesting, lots of good and diverse answers.

As for myself, (as I mentioned in Brian's poll) I'm not entirely sure why it is that I am drawn to this, but I feel it has something to do with finding peace with nature, others, and self, which can be accomplished through attaining oneness with tao or enlightenment.

• Like 3

To get more chill

To get more juice

To see more

Think less

Breath slower

Intuit more

Reduce mental and cultural filters

Better health

Better Flow

Experience the nature of God.

• Like 3

Motivation changed few times since begging ..

however what always remines is strong underlying knowing that this is how it should be in order to live life as me .

Last year whilst travelling in Asia -- I had a car accident (again) when a mini bus somehow slipped and started to turn over . It was scary and could have possibly turned leatheal .

That moment was a REAL test for state of peacefullness and ability to keep calm and switched on ...

...and in this moment all I could think of -- I AM NOT READY TO DIE YET , NOT WITH THIS FEAR to cross over on the other side as my lagguage .

So ever since the practise is to recgonise and face all difficuties ,especially really difficult ones -- whenever they occur .

This accident was very sobering and its impact message still rings through very vividly every day , it shook me up to the fact how important it is to travel light -- always.

As if Godess herself was saying :

hey wake up , what are you doing ?? no time for daydreaming !!

Assigned daily practise and excersise helps of course helps to give vitality necessary to undertake this task , but constant viligance is where it is at .

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 6

My motivation is:

I want to live a life like a Taoist and do what they do as close as possible.

By this, do you mean you find satisfaction in simply imitating something that other people practice?

My motivation is:

I want to live a life like a Taoist and do what they do as close as possible.

What does a Daoist live like ?

In fact what is a 'Daoist' anyway ?

There are too many variables.

• Like 1

By this, do you mean you find satisfaction in simply imitating something that other people practice?

By this, I practice some of the principles that Taoists do but not just other people.

What does a Daoist live like ?

In fact what is a 'Daoist' anyway ?

There are too many variables.

You mean after all this time you have been, here, with TTB and you have no idea what a Taoist is.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

By this, I practice some of the principles that Taoists do but not just other people.

You mean after all this time you have been, here, with TTB and you have no idea what a Taoist is.....???

No idea whatsoever. .

I'm not joking either.

There's more confusion on here than ever.

If this forum is a typical example of what 'Daoists' are, then we're screwed.

John Chang this, and Mo Pai that.

Qigong, neigong, neidan.

Philisophical, religious, atheist, creationist, anarchist, communist.

Learned, unlearned. Lettered, unlettered.

Buddhist, schmuddist, vedantic, pedantic.

Ch'an, zen, thai, tibetan.

Christian, mystic, orthodox, gnostic.

Meditation, zhan zhuang, tai chi, contemplation.

Self, no-self, I AM, enneagram.

Big bang, yin, yang, wu-wei, ziran.

Confused ? You bet.

• Like 2