Sign in to follow this  
Unseen_Abilities

I respectfully announce my resignation from the Dojo...

I respectfully sent an e-mail to my Aikido teachers today, informing them of the fact that I've uncovered some serious aggression within myself over the last few months, and rather than taking it out on people in their Dojo, I've decided to leave in order to pursue a hard-style Martial Art. I get a reply saying that they've noticed my aggression too and they think I should get a job...I'm like, "What? I work full-time on my Creative pursuits, why would you say that to me???"...wtf...*shakes head and chuckles to self*

I'm getting income now as well, so IMO that was an inappropriate, immature dig from this teacher...but I'm sharing because I find it hilarious.

Unseen_Abilities

• Like 1

Imbalances and blockages are lost power waiting to be reclaimed. It is worth looking into the source and dissolving these unhealthy patterns. Best of luck and im digging the new profile pic, cool skeleton.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

OldChi, thanks...I don't quite understand the reference to "Imbalances and blockages" you made in your post, could you please clear that up? Whether you were referring to me or not, I'm making good use of this Mercury Retrograde regarding dissolving non-beneficial patterns...I prefer the term "non-beneficial" to unhealthy :D

Yeah, I dig this avatar, this picture had been sitting there on my PC for a long time - I just rediscovered it.

Edited by Unseen_Abilities

We can have emotional, psychological, and physical imbalances. These imbalances can be tied to the channels in our bodies. Blockages are like wrenches thrown into our energetic structure and when we have blockages in are system they can alter the way we express ourselves in many subtle and not so subtle ways.

You said your having difficulty with excess aggression and felt it correct that you leave your dojo. This could be a potential wrench surfacing that is ready to be dissolved....thus why I said it would be worthwhile to look into this symptom of expression directly. There are many ways of doing this.

Good to hear your taking matters into your own hands though.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

Well, by "aggression" I don't necessarily mean it in a way that implies ungrounded anger, but more-so in a way that implies a 24 yr old guy who's now extremely fit and healthy, with a stronger desire than ever to harness his energy and move forward in his Life. The Aikido dojo I was at since 2012 was really good sometimes, and terrible at others - I don't know, sometimes the energy in there was just really bad, one of the black belts legitimately seemed to have some kind of problem with me, most of the members were much older than me, and I feel in many ways it's just time to move on now. I'd like to train more than just twice a week as well (dojo was only open twice a week).

I can see myself taking up Aikido again in a decade or two.

• Like 3

Hi,

I just want to mention that uncontrolled aggressive behavior will only get you in trouble. Not suggesting that you might have any tendency toward this but I felt it should be mentiond.

Think about it? Suggesting that you get a job isn't that far off, really. Perhaps they meant only to suggest that you find a more productive place to utilize your energy and therefore reduce the amount of aggression you have been experiencing.

But whatever you decide to do may it be something that is useful to you on your journey through life.

And yes, balance (I prefer "harmony") is important. Too much Yang? Find some Yin in order to balance and harmonize your life, both inner and outer.

Best Wishes.

• Like 5

Hmmm... The vibe coming from your OP is pretty aggressive in itself (feels so to me, anyway). Without knowing more of the story, it sounds like an overreaction to their suggestion, indicating exactly what you seem to have identified in yourself. That's pretty interesting.

• Like 3

.. a 24 yr old guy who's now extremely fit and healthy,

*That* explains it, lol! When I was around that age I loved to hit people, loved to get hit. (With pads or - earlier than that - under the water in water polo; never hurt anyone really.)

Yup. (Far seeing for you to be able to say that.)

ime, any time you leave a martial or spiritual... well, almost *any* group, someone will take a dig at you, usually someone significant in the group, maybe the teacher, maybe the PR person, maybe to you as you're leaving, maybe after you're gone to others... it's kind of a knee-jerk rxn to protect the reputation of the group or something primitive psychology about staying-in-the-pack. I've found that the less I say about why I'm leaving, the better, "my life, my own reasons, thank you for the time here, really learned a lot and appreciate it a great deal", gives them fewer targets and is actually respected more.

best,

Trunk

• Like 7

Well, by "aggression" I don't necessarily mean it in a way that implies ungrounded anger, but more-so in a way that implies a 24 yr old guy who's now extremely fit and healthy, with a stronger desire than ever to harness his energy and move forward in his Life. The Aikido dojo I was at since 2012 was really good sometimes, and terrible at others - I don't know, sometimes the energy in there was just really bad, one of the black belts legitimately seemed to have some kind of problem with me, most of the members were much older than me, and I feel in many ways it's just time to move on now. I'd like to train more than just twice a week as well (dojo was only open twice a week).

I had the same issue with a black belt in my Aikido class a few years ago. (geez . . . has it been 7???) In that situation he was the one with the unchecked aggression, though.

Anyway, I think it sounds like you'd enjoy more MMA-type classes. Maybe look into Thai kickboxing or Jiujitsu. Or both.

• Like 1

A good Systema class would also be a good option. You get hurt from day one, quickly puts your aggression levels in check when it's obvious you're going to go home sore.

• Like 2

I respectfully sent an e-mail to my Aikido teachers today, informing them of the fact that I've uncovered some serious aggression within myself over the last few months, and rather than taking it out on people in their Dojo, I've decided to leave in order to pursue a hard-style Martial Art.

Interesting ! I was in two clubs; one pretty hard style (Okinawan - weapons and empty - hand) and the other Aikido , at the same time. I can relate in ways to what you say. It depends on what you mean by 'aggression' ... over the years I had endless debate (well, you know what it is like in some 'traditional' schools, no debate and shut your mouth) as I was told Aikido is non- aggressive and non-violent ... well, thats just because they dont understand the history of their own system ... in the first Aikido book published there is a picture of the Master evading a sword blow and striking at the opponents eyes with the end ribs of a fan ... check out the look on his 'Ki ai ' face !

They were more like a dance class and were full of holes ... it was very hard for me to conform but they also had some things in it I liked .... the instructor always had his eye on me ... they didnt like to get hurt (I told him my other club considered excessive force in training was a bruise that lasted more than 3 days ... he seemed shocked - yet I saw him do something once that really hurt someone's neck ... they were both lucky as it wasnt serious ! ) A couple of times he had a go with me after training, when the others were gone ... that was pretty cool of him I thought.

Anyway, one day the instructor's teacher turns up ... he ends up giving him a serve and asking what the hell he is doing ... he then goes about exposing all the holes he has developed in his technique by doing little 'violent and aggressive' things to him while he is trying to execute the techniques. So ???? .

I had an earlier bout of Aikido in my 20's - same type and style of Aikido .... man , it was great! I could go full steam ahead, get thrown the air, slammed on the mat ... attack harder and harder and just get thrown further and slammed harder ... the old guys would laugh at me and seemed to be able to control me easily and with little effort ... one old guy used to really give it to me ... with added little nasties in there as well .... if I wasnt in position after a throw Id get my face kneeled on, or lifted up into the air from under my nose and slammed back down (after training we would go and buy each other beers and and laugh ... he said I was keeping him young :) )

I was continually frustrated with both recent clubs however. The aikido one shut as the instructor left the area (and the remaining students picked up his 'style' ) and with the other one, the instructor really knows his stuff but IMO has no idea whatsoever about teaching it to others. (One guy still had not learnt the first pattern after a year ... I had a private session with him and he had learnt it by heart in 2 hours ... thats not an indication of my skill in the art, but my skill in teaching according to an individuals 'learning mode'.

I get a reply saying that they've noticed my aggression too and they think I should get a job...I'm like, "What? I work full-time on my Creative pursuits, why would you say that to me???"...wtf...*shakes head and chuckles to self*

Again, depends on 'aggression' ... where you being an arsehole or just wanting to burn off some testosterone or work out some stuck in body stuff ? Conversely ; was the comment from someone being an arsehole or someone who thought a job might be a way of burning off what you need.

Aikido is a funny thing ... when another (head teacher) came to the more recent Aikido class he accepted that some had been taught sloppy hole ridden techniques (because no one practised 'aggressively' but did 'dance' ??? ) he did the sloppy technique to me and stopped half way through in a bad position (this is in front of the . not just the whole class, as it was a workshop, with visitors, ) and said to me "What is your first instinct?" .... I paused ... he stuck his head towards my face and said ...."Go on! WHAT is your first instinct DO IT! " .... So I head butted him in the face (not really, I stopped just before contact. He steps back and indicates me to the whole class; "Oh! The old LIverpool KIss! Lovely (scarcastically) And what does that say about his character! ..... I meant to show that from my wrong position you could hit me with your other hand " :blink:

Obviously I lacked the dignity to be a good Aiki kai . :rolleyes:

I'm getting income now as well, so IMO that was an inappropriate, immature dig from this teacher...but I'm sharing because I find it hilarious.

Unseen_Abilities

Yes .... immature dig from a teacher.

I hope you find a good new club that suits you; if its a burn off you need ... if it is nasty aggression - break some boards or some old shit up thats on its way to the dump.

PS. I had some 'lads' do some work here cleaning out the bamboo grove; "Go and smash all the old dead shit up and drag it out and make a bonfire and we will burn it off tonight - They loved it ! One said to me later "You know, its actually a lot more fun smashing up shit that needs to be smashed up .... and you dont get into trouble for it ...and its actually doing something good. " :D

• Like 1

HORSE STANCE! :)

When a teacher says get a job, he means he feels "you need more grounding" and "somewhere to channel all that energy". Jobs are good for that. They also provide good training... training such as doing shit you don't like, but doing it anyways, and dealing with many other people daily, without punching them out. Jobs aren't something you would want to do for the rest of your life or anything, but they do help immensely with character development by way of trials and tribulations.

• Like 6

I'm quite in control of this aggression now - It could have gone bad a while back, but it's cool now.

Objectively, I definitely wasn't being an arsehole - I just want(ed) some good, hard training. The email notifying them of my departure was totally respectful, but maybe I did overreact a bit to their response.

I know the importance of putting in effort to get money, but a "job" in the normal meaning of the word is no longer for me - I've gone through enough trials and tribulations already to let myself get bossed around by some guy in a uniform...

Edited by Unseen_Abilities
  • Like 1

I'm feeling very drawn to Taekwondo actually - I found an old, detailed manual of Taekwondo techniques and exercises, and something about it is speaking to me. I just got home from a class at a Dojang nearby...It had a bit of a "McDojang" kind of feel, but I can tell Taekwondo would be awesome in an authentic school. Then again, there's so many different Arts and teachers around, it'd be worth doing some scouting around for the right place again.

Then again, there's so many different Arts and teachers around, it'd be worth doing some scouting around for the right place again.

Yeah, I would say the instructor/students are going to determine how good or bad your experience way more than the style.

• Like 3

I know the importance of putting in effort to get money, but a "job" in the normal meaning of the word is no longer for me - I've gone through enough trials and tribulations already to let myself get bossed around by some guy in a uniform...

Yeah, but like BKA said.

Also, I will add that if you can find employment doing something you enjoy you can call it one of your hobbies and then you would be getting paid for doing something you enjoy doing and you would be able to make it a fun experience.

One of my tours in Korea was with a company of the Korean Tiger Division (the meanest boys in the Korean military) and those guys practiced Taekwondo every morning (along with other exercises) for two hours before breakfast.

• Like 2

Fair point on the job, but most jobs around here at the moment with the level of "actual" training/qualification I currently have I would consider a distraction from what I'm meant to be doing.

• Like 2

Fair point on the job, but most jobs around here at the moment with the level of "actual" training/qualification I currently have I would consider a distraction from what I'm meant to be doing.

I understand what you are saying. I'm just presenting suggestions. And I understand too about availability of employment doing what one is trained in. I had that problem after I retired from the Army. Finding a job in field communications isn't a real possibility in civilian life.

• Like 1

Hey "job" and "work" can mean building cob houses for a hippie communal off grid community that you plan to live in. They can also mean volunteering to help the homeless, or volunteering to help with medical care in third world countries.... it doesn't have to look like a suit and tie office thing working for someone else. The above listed "jobs" and "work" reap the same benefits.

• Like 2

As with some many things, this is largely about perspective.

For instance, I work 50 to 60+ hours a week in a job with lots of responsibility and expectations, in a field for which I had no particular "training" when I started -- I just stumbled into it as is the case with so much of life. I have more than two dozen people in my org chart, not one of whom I think would consider themselves to be "bossed around by some guy in a uniform..." I report directly to the president of the organization, the entire 1,200+ employee institution relies daily on my work and the work of the people who report through me, and more than 20,000 people in the community rely each year on the work of the organization's daily activities. I have stewardship over an annual budget in excess of $6M, about $2M of which is discretionary, so there are significant decisions to be made. I never feel like I am being bossed around by some guy in a uniform and I never dread going to work in the morning!

I also have commitments outside of work -- notice the use of the word "commitment" rather than "obligation." The latter is victim language. I have a wife and son, a home, several vehicles, a few other properties, an inherited defective pug (long story) and a mother-in-law I help care for (just finished a two-month round of eye-drops three times a day for her...) I don't regret one moment of this commitment of time and energy!

Additionally, I do some volunteer work in my community to give back because I can. I also do a fair amount of "as the spirit moves me" direct charity. This weekend, for instance, I was approached by a woman in a grocery store parking lot who was asking for a few bucks to buy her two kids something from McDonald's because they were "kinda homeless" -- instead, I walked with them across the parking lot in the opposite direction from McD's to a sit-down restaurant, sat down at a table with them and waited until the waitress came over. I then put $80 on the table (all that was in my wallet) and wished them well.

I spend roughly 30 hours a week on my qigong practice, not counting informal "in the moment" practice or time spent helping people with medical qigong healing (a co-worker's teenage special-needs son just broke his leg in five places so I am helping with that this week at her request). Work, family, community, personal-time -- it is all part of a rich and healthy life.

Of course, I am about twice Unseen_Abilities's age and that gained experience influences one's vision, too.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 7

Jobs?

We don' need no steenkin' jobs..

:wanders off to search amazon for books on money magic...

Money doesn't just fall out of the sky. Said money magic needs a physical route to manifest through.

• Like 3

I spend roughly 30 hours a week on my qigong practice, not counting informal "in the moment" practice or time spent helping people with medical qigong healing (a co-worker's teenage special-needs son just broke his leg in five places so I am helping with that this week at her request). Work, family, community, personal-time -- it is all part of a rich and healthy life.

That's quite a list! And you didn't even mention your stewardship on TaoBums.

Good luck with the healing!

I like what MH said about too much Yang. I have this...I'm naturally hot-headed and meditation brings me back into balance. Yin foods as well...cooling ones. But this is just if you ever do find yourself boiling over...this is rare for me these days. I feel more in control, like you.

RE job. Yeah, I hate that. Feels like slavery...so I'm self-employed. More flexible...

But I'm also a musician...and yes, everything other than doing that is a distraction. It's all so frustrating isn't it? Trying to just get time to do what you were put here to do!

Keep us posted...see what unravels.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this