Sign in to follow this  
Seph

The Spirit of a Martial Art

Yeah, seriously .... as I never went in one ... nor would I ... I had enough injuries from 'no contact'. I have seen some MMA where someone is on top of someone and just viciously pounds into their head ... and a few times when a standing punch has been delivered full power for a knockout, karate 'full-contact' comp - but no head attacks allowed .

I mean, surely there is a restriction on techniques ... ? Or is it just go in full steam with anything and if the other is permanently creamed or dies .... shrug ? I guess there MUST be restrictictions on techniques and the ones allowed can be full contact ?

Yeah, I know.

In the various tournaments I entered over the years (NOT full contact - 50%) I've suffered a cracked nose, hyper-extended thumb, 2 cracked ribs, probably a half dozen bruised ribs, and two broken toes. (Not to mention pulling muscles, tendons, etc., etc.)

I've had some fellow students 'want' to go 'full out', just to see.

I've always told them no. That's the kind of stuff I reserve to someone breaking into my house, threatening my family, (real) hostile situations, etc.

Edited by Seph
  • Like 2

Yeah, I know.

In the various tournaments I entered over the years (NOT full contact - 50%) I've suffered a cracked nose, hyper-extended thumb, 2 cracked ribs, probably a half dozen bruised ribs, and two broken toes. (Not to mention pulling muscles, tendons, etc., etc.)

I've had some fellow students 'want' to go 'full out', just to see.

I've always told them no. That's the kind of stuff I reserve to someone breaking into my house, threatening my family, (real) hostile situations, etc.

Yep! Mr. Nishihira used to say; " Three levels of using what I teach you; 1, Soft and friendly, when your friends joke with you and try to push you around, 2 fighting, 3 when someone attacks your family .

Still, I have to query the above, re what techniques are allowed in full contact and also what techniques are taught ... the students that wanted to try 'full out' ... ??? They too must be thinking of restrictions.

The sort of things I am thinking of are ; many techniques I learnt are started with an eye strike ... actually; go for the eyes when ever you can. Also another technique I am thinking of as done in ... hmmm ... end of Pinan 5 ... @ 0:27

the Bunkai is supposedly (as the 'rumour' goes) is grabbing someones nuts and pulling while the other hand shuto comes down and .... chopps in between the pulled nuts and the the hand pulling them up . We were talking once about that at training and disputing the manual removal of anothers testicles (the move also seems to be able to block a drawing sword hand and draw the opponents sword out and across him)... but this guy (who is a public prosecutor ) in the club goes' "Dont bet on it ... we had to prosecute this little Cambodian guy that got hassled by aggressive bouncers, they were intending to beat him, in court the witnesses said he did this lightening fast move and the big bouncer collapsed screaming ... the medical report showed the guys nuts had been ripped off ." :blink: (I have been bowing and smiling to little Vietnamese guys ever since that :D )

This is what I mean when I say I dont get 'all out' or full contact ... SURELY there must be restrictions on what techniques are used ?

Edited by Nungali

This is what I mean when I say I dont get 'all out' or full contact ... SURELY there must be restrictions on what techniques are used ?

Ohhhh...!

I see.

Yes. You're absolutely right. There ARE restrictions.

When I said 'all out' I meant with traditional punches, strikes, and kicks. No self-defense, choking, etc. (Well, choking yes in BJJ or MMA, but NOT TKD). There's also NO holding (or catching an opponent's kicks/punches/etc).

Sorry. My bad. I wasn't following what you meant.

the Bunkai is supposedly (as the 'rumour' goes) is grabbing someones nuts and pulling while the other hand shuto comes down and .... chopps in between the pulled nuts and the the hand pulling them up . We were talking once about that at training and disputing the manual removal of anothers testicles (the move also seems to be able to block a drawing sword hand and draw the opponents sword out and across him)... but this guy (who is a public prosecutor ) in the club goes' "Dont bet on it ... we had to prosecute this little Cambodian guy that got hassled by aggressive bouncers, they were intending to beat him, in court the witnesses said he did this lightening fast move and the big bouncer collapsed screaming ... the medical report showed the guys nuts had been ripped off ." :blink: (I have been bowing and smiling to little Vietnamese guys ever since that :D )

:blink:

....holy mother of god...

Edited by Seph

The sort of things I am thinking of are ; many techniques I learnt are started with an eye strike ... actually; go for the eyes when ever you can.

That's the thing, isn't it?

Go for the eyes, Boo!

I meditated upon it, and quickly came to the conclusion that the best thing to do, if you are serious about protecting yourself, is to block the first blow hard with one hand and simultaneously two finger strike into the assailant's eye sockets.

I decided I would never want to do that, and would only do it if I thought my children were in serious danger.

I mean, sticking and wrenching your fingers round in someone's eye sockets like their head was a bowling ball would cause some serious damage.

Makes me feel ill thinking about it.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

There is a throw (hidden in one of the other kata moves) that is done by throwing the person by their testicles ... we practiced it fast and then ... at the moment of gripping, go slow and careful like and only grab the front seam of the trousers , then continue at normal speed .... usually ends up a wedgie throw :D - there is no intention of removal though.

However I have heard a 'nice ... but whatever you do dont get in a fight with him ' guy at work used it once in a pub brawl and threw this guy into a bunch of chairs and tables in front of the stunned work crew .

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this