Trunk

Acting: Great Performances

I watched The Graduate again, last night.

This was really a tour de force for Anne Bancroft. There were several scenes where she said very little, but played mostly through facial expression and presence. When they were in bed, talking about art. She really played a complex broken alcoholic ... masterfully. Also, when Ben (Dustin Hoffman) came over to the house to take Elaine out for the first time - and Bancroft was glowering silently. Everyone did a great job in that movie (and it was so well written), but Anne Bancroft was like three times more powerful than anyone in the room.

For similar caliber, the only other person that comes to mind for fine tuning powerful dark complexity is Gary Oldman.

I am in a film class at school so writing alot about movies next few weeks. Probably the best one I saw recently was Babel. I think there were alot of powerful pefomances in that. From the deaf Japanese teenager to the Mexican housekeeper and Kate Blanchet's character. I even think Brad Pitt did a really good job in it.

I love and adore both Anne Bancroft and Gary Oldman.

I just saw a film called "The Fountain" and I wondered about posting about it here, to see if anyone here had seen it.

It would be fun to have a taobums film thread.

Hugh Jackman is in The Fountain. I cant figure out idf he can actually act, or if he's just so handsome I get mesmerised. :rolleyes:

I love and adore both Anne Bancroft and Gary Oldman.
I'm not a goth nor horror fan, but G.Oldman was stellar in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Like Bancroft, he is easily several times more powerful than anyone else in the frame. Just... I don't even know what to say. One of my friends, who has done some commercial acting, said that he "is one of the great actors of our time". Winona Ryder did an impressive job. Keanu Reeves was just pitiful.

I just saw a film called "The Fountain" ..

trailer looks interesting

EhbalzcPA_E

I imagine actors must get some sort of "spiritual" experience from there work. Playing other characters like they are real. Adyashanti says he has a hard time watching movies after awakening. Like he will be watching a dramatic movie and not pay attention to the main characters but wonder about the people in the backround who aren't saying anything.

I have hard time getting into them myself lately unless the acting is really tight like in most HBO shows which I love.

And video games. Which is apparently bigger than the movie industry now.

What a sham of a movie with how its informing with misinformation and its trying to make mainstream "Newage" misconceptions more commonly misconceived.

Its a shame what movies like this can do to people. Make them believe some deep spiritual meaning in the words of a man playing a wise sage.. hahahaha

"The body is a prison. ..." blah blah blah...."Death frees all"... blah blah blah.

If they actually knew what making movies with such connotation do to themselves and everyone else, I seriously believe they would think twice. Entertainment is not cut off from the process of karma, and there is no separation of acting and not acting in the process of Karma. What is emotionally engaged in to a high degree of belief and thought, will result in the outcome from that momentum.

The universe isn't separate from the mind, and the mind is not separate from the universe. Put in the mind results in its manifestation within the mind... That means there is no in the mind and out of the mind. What is perceived in and out is only a view/perception and results in separation, which is another reason why many are always creating things they want and don't want with deep personally empotional attachments.

I wish they put a warning and a disclaimer on this movie in the beginning and end. It would have read:

" Things are said only to make a dramatic and enticingly watchable movie. We are not responsible for your misinterpretation of our misunderstanding of the Universe and the illusion of life and death. Please seek a Good and Wise Advisor before choosing to believe in what is presented here by our dramatized script and almost half truth."

Peace,

Aiwei

Edited by 林愛偉

Aiwei, if you are talking about "The Fountain", then I agree. It had some beautiful visuals, but my wife and I both found it hollow. I listened to the director's commentary, and they clearly were just trying to do something significant, but it was based on ideas and not on experience. It is based on Mayan ideas about the center of the galaxy being a spiritual place, and for trying to be faithful to their beliefs I do give them credit.

Cat - did you enjoy the film?

One of the best films I can remember for acting is "House of Sand and Fog." Ben Kingsley and, especially, Shohreh Aghdashloo gave amazing performances.

I also found the acting and story in "Closer" very good, especially Natalie Portman and Clive Owen.

I saw "the men who fell to earth" ! I was a huge Bowie fan back in those days. It was amazing, as Bowie really did seem out of place on this planet. ( I like nic roeg's films, generally.)

voice, yes I saw the fountain last week, and I enjoyed it. I loved the sensous visuals, and the music and the general texture and ambience of the piece. (And Hugh Jackman's looks!) It was like a moving painting, or a half dream, so I enjoyed it as it made a change from the more usual linear narratives that the movie business offers us. but I wouldnt argue if you wanted to say it was ultimately trite.

At the moment I'm loving christopher guest's movies... ( he made 'spinal tap') have you seen waiting for guffman"? :lol: I like mockumentary humour.

I'd like to know what movies sean recommends....?

Gary Oldman as Dracula is one of the most memorable performances I've ever seen, absolutely.

How about Klaus Kinski? he's an interesting actor. HAs anyone seen Fitzcarraldo?

And I never forget when I first saw Harvey Keitel and Robert de Niro in "Mean Streets".... wowee...

Edited by cat

One of my favorites was Kill Bill.

A real tall tale. Larger than life.

I usually don't like and stay away from violent films.

I like anything by Tarantino.