Rara

Tuna ethics, dolphins etc. Discussion

I wish to open this up. I realise this is different in other parts of the world (I'm in the UK) but still, there seems to be a problem here.

"Dolphin Friendly" or "Dolphin Safe" labels on tins of tuna is a supposed way of telling the consumer that no dolphins are harmed in the catching of the fish.

I have been doing some research and it implies that in the US, Australia and many other countries, the label only means there are regulations to adhere to, but it doesn't guarantee that dolphins are not killed.

Here in the UK, the label is supposedly irrelevant as the type of tuna we get don't swim around dophins anyway. However, the method by which the fish are caught supposedly kills lots of other sea life like sharks.

What are your thoughts on this? Tuna has always been a staple in my household but now I wonder if I can buy another can if sea life is dying unneccessarily. I was mainly concerned about the dolphins at first and was relieved to hear that they are not harmed when our tuna is caught. But with this new info about other sea life being killed, I still wonder.

Please discuss, and if you have any more in depth knowledge on this topic, please share!

Why is the poor tuna's life less valued than that of a dolphin?

Good question. At the moment, I feel it's necessary to eat meat, but only what is needed...no over indulging. Tuna comes available in a tin, dolphin doesn't...I guess I have a stronger attachment to dolphins. Same reason why I don't eat humans or dogs haha.

I appreciate this is different around the globe too...i.e China. And I see their point...I'm just socially conditioned to freak out at the idea of eating dogs or insects or whatever.

But my main point is that, the tuna is caught to eat. The dolphin just gets caught in the middle of it and dies for no reason.

The last can of tuna I bought didn't have the Dolphin Safe label, but it did have a picture of a man holding a gun to a dolphin's head. I figure I'd better buy it, otherwise, the dolphin might get it.

Like Rara I value a dolphin's life more then a tuna's. Big smart brain, cares for its young, social mammal, has been known to save drowning humans, cute too- can't discount that. Not only wouldn't I eat them, I actively dislike things that cause them harm. I've always thought seeing dolphins in the wild is a little magical.

They're like unicorns,

except no horn,

or legs or hooves,

hmmnn nor fur ..

Other then that.

The last can of tuna I bought didn't have the Dolphin Safe label, but it did have a picture of a man holding a gun to a dolphin's head. I figure I'd better buy it, otherwise, the dolphin might get it.

Like Rara I value a dolphin's life more then a tuna's. Big smart brain, cares for its young, social mammal, has been known to save drowning humans, cute too- can't discount that. Not only wouldn't I eat them, I actively dislike things that cause them harm. I've always thought seeing dolphins in the wild is a little magical.

They're like unicorns,

except no horn,

or legs or hooves,

hmmnn nor fur ..

Other then that.

Haha...very good. But how do you feel about supporting the tuna industry if it harms dolphins?

I'm digging to justify eating tuna again, as it's tasty. The more I try, I'm starting to think it's not worth the effort lol

Haha...very good. But how do you feel about supporting the tuna industry if it harms dolphins?

I'm digging to justify eating tuna again, as it's tasty. The more I try, I'm starting to think it's not worth the effort lol

Don't eat much, maybe a few small cans a year. As a kid, tuna fish sandwiches were served weekly. For better or worse my kids aren't into it, and i'd always buy dolphin safe stuff.

• Like 1

When dolphins are swept up accidentally, they kill them and sell them (IIRC).

Regardless... The poor sharks on the other hand... Reason enough for me to have stopped buying tuna.

Eat eggs. Lots of good organic eggs :-)

• Like 1