Sign in to follow this  
PimonratC

Law of Karma is not for damn anyone.

Law of Karma is not for damn anyone.

Watch our mind.

To damn, your mind may stuck with that damnation of yourself

Dangerous, Maybe you're gonna be the one who take it.

One of my teachers used to say,

"He come by karma, He gone by karma."

Of course, including us.

So... we keep on right view and right action are the best.

:)

• Like 1

When a christian decides to embrace buddhism, he's told "You fool! How could you believe in one omnipotent God who rule the earth?".

Stop blindly believe in things which you cannot test for yourself, now you're buddhist!

Let me teach you about karma :D

One is truly buddhist when he no longer blindly believe in God, but he blindly believe in karma .

At the end, it's all about faith.

There's God? There's karma?

None really knows...

Edited by DAO rain TAO
  • Like 2

When a christian decides to embrace buddhism, he's told "You fool! How could you believe in one omnipotent God who rule the earth?".

Stop blindly believe in things which you cannot test for yourself, now you're buddhist!

Let me teach you about karma :D

One is truly buddhist when he no longer blindly believe in God, but he blindly believe in karma .

At the end, it's all about faith.

There's God? There's karma?

None really knows...

You made an interesting remark.

I’m sorry, I have little knowledge of christian.
But there may be some difference between believe in God and believe in Karma.
Belief in Karma means confidence in accordance with the law of action.
Belief in the consequences of actions.
Belief in the individual ownership of action
Because Karma has nothing to do with creator or anything. :)
Edited by PimonratC
  • Like 1

Karma has to do with reincarnation.
Evil people may enjoy happiness in this life and good people may even die very young.
What's karma?
It's to believe that they will have what they deserve in future lives.
Also, you should believe that it's annoying to continuously reincarnate... even if you can't remember a dime of your previous lives :-D
This is blind belief.
It's not very different from believing in God the creator...

Karma has to do with reincarnation....

Belief in reincarnation, is not a prerequisite, to accepting the ethical and practical implications of the state of mind which drives the intention to carry out actions of body, speech, mind; when looked at in this way, karma means action which requires intention. Blind belief in reincarnation does need to be a factor in order to understand the effects of these implications on our practice of meditation, in our daily interactions with our environment, etc.

Edited by Simple_Jack
  • Like 1

Belief in reincarnation, is not a prerequisite, to accepting the ethical and practical implications of the state of mind which drives the intention to carry out actions of body, speech, mind; when looked at in this way, karma means action which requires intention.

Yes, but this is not karma. This is morality. :-)

But if you are only being "ethical" so you can selfishly not have to reincarnate again, or so you get "good karma"... well personally I think that is lame. I would personally not trust someone who is only being nice to people just due to fear of some repercussions. That is my main reason for not liking.... well I wouldn't say I don't like karma, I just don't like people's definitions of it, and how some use it.

Also, I wouldn't say I really beleive in karma, but for example... say there was a qigong scammer, who brought a bunch of people over to train with his teacher... but charged them five times the price the teacher was charging, and didn't mention this to anyone.... well I think people like that bring about their own downfall (or call it karma if you prefer) since people who scam others know deep down inside that they are doing something wrong, and thus subconsciously self sabotage. Also when such a person goes to try to find new teachings or a new teacher... the nasty energy surrounding the person from things they do/have done can easily be seen by any new teacher, and thus the really good teachings are generally withheld.

The above is just an example, I was reminded of. I also know a lot of teachers who are very choosy about who they teach what to. The first part is a real example, the second part is my pontifications about their future life in the arts, due to how I have seen people teach. Not many teach the real stuff to those they get a bad vibe from. That stuff sticks to you.

Also the spirits and/or ancestors of a path can block an unethical person from getting or understanding certain info or teachings...

Call it karma if you like though ;).

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

But if you are only being "ethical" so you can selfishly not have to reincarnate again, or so you get "good karma"... well personally I think that is lame. I would personally not trust someone who is only being nice to people just due to fear of some repercussions. That is my main reason for not liking.... well I wouldn't say I don't like karma, I just don't like people's definitions of it, and how some use it.

The idea, at least IMO, is to experience and abide in a "state of mind" in which love and compassion spontaneously and joyously manifests. This is that source of ethical and compassionate behavior in Buddhism. Until then, acting in a compassionate and ethical manner is a good practice which, over time, may lead to and help stabilize that state.

When it comes to our motivation for behavior, Anthony Demello offers some wonderful insights. If you look carefully at our behavior, virtually every action we take is self-beneficial. Watch what you do and look closely at why…

Demello's three types of behavior -

1. When I give myself the pleasure of pleasing myself - often referred to as selfish

2. When I give myself the pleasure of pleasing others - why are we doing this? Usually because in some way it gives us a good feeling or gives us some feeling of benefit. Still selfish! Demello called it more refined, but selfish nonetheless.

3. When I do something to avoid giving myself a bad feeling - the least insightful type of behavior.

The possibility exists of other behavior (such as spontaneous, un-premeditated self sacrifice to save another's life) but most behavior is selfish at its core.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One thing that Buddhists do to help mitigate the selfish aspect of behavior is to dedicate all efforts to help others in some way.

If one can do this with conviction and sincerity, the effects are profound.

Also, I wouldn't say I really beleive in karma, but for example... say there was a qigong scammer, who brought a bunch of people over to train with his teacher... but charged them five times the price the teacher was charging, and didn't mention this to anyone.... well I think people like that bring about their own downfall (or call it karma if you prefer) since people who scam others know deep down inside that they are doing something wrong, and thus subconsciously self sabotage. Also when such a person goes to try to find new teachings or a new teacher... the nasty energy surrounding the person from things they do/have done can easily be seen by any new teacher, and thus the really good teachings are generally withheld.

The above is just an example, I was reminded of. I also know a lot of teachers who are very choosy about who they teach what to. The first part is a real example, the second part is my pontifications about their future life in the arts, due to how I have seen people teach. Not many teach the real stuff to those they get a bad vibe from. That stuff sticks to you.

Also the spirits and/or ancestors of a path can block an unethical person from getting or understanding certain info or teachings...

Call it karma if you like though ;).

There is no need for anyone to believe in karma. The universe goes on no matter how we label our observations. If you simply observe the choices we make and the subsequent effects of those choices, the workings of cause and effect become apparent. The interactions in this existence are so thoroughly inter-related that the complexity often obscures the connections. Nevertheless, there may come a time when these inner-workings and relationships make themselves known firsthand in all their glory, if that happens there is no need for belief, as it is replaced by certainty.

• Like 3

But there may be some difference between believe in God and believe in Karma.

Different, yet.. what mechanism applies Karma? Who/What remembers the past, plots out the consequences and waits for the proper time?

• Like 1

Actually this is how karma is defined in Buddhism.

As Captain Mar-vel said, it's about cause and effect.

To be a buddhist, one should firmly believe in the law of cause and effect.

But, from a practical perspective, this law applies only for a couple of cases: people who do bad deeds DO NOT necessarily receive bad things.

Therefore, this so-called law isn't true.

It's just a philosophic interpretation of reality.

Sticking to this interpretation, we need to say that all causes have to manifest effects... and if the life is too short to manifest the consequences of our action, then we suppose that there's another life!

Hence, reincarnation is a fundamental belief in buddhism, something that is deep inside the mind of traditional buddhists, something that they assume to be true. The parallel is that the idea of God in westerners is similarly patched in the brain: ask anyone about "religion" and he will tell you something about God.

Sorry for bad english. Need to go back to school hahah

• Like 1

As Captain Mar-vel said, it's about cause and effect.

To be a buddhist, one should firmly believe in the law of cause and effect.

But, from a practical perspective, this law applies only for a couple of cases: people who do bad deeds DO NOT necessarily receive bad things.

Therefore, this so-called law isn't true.

It's just a philosophic interpretation of reality.

Sticking to this interpretation, we need to say that all causes have to manifest effects... and if the life is too short to manifest the consequences of our action, then we suppose that there's another life!

Hence, reincarnation is a fundamental belief in buddhism, something that is deep inside the mind of traditional buddhists, something that they assume to be true. The parallel is that the idea of God in westerners is similarly patched in the brain: ask anyone about "religion" and he will tell you something about God.

Sorry for bad english. Need to go back to school hahah

:)

Don't worry about English, me too.
The most important of Buddhist principles is causal interdependence. It describes the law of nature.
Procceeding according to the flow of causes and effects and bound to the conditions found in the natural process.
Law of Karma is one of the Law of Nature.
I'm telling you the truth of nature.
The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.
All events in nature proceed at the direction of the interrelationship of natural phenomena.
There are no accidents.
If you plant an mango seed, the resulting tree will be mango tree.
The resulting tree can't be money tree.
To be money, There are many of other process and there are many factors to consider.
When you see the bright side of someone life, it doesn't mean there is no other side. :)

Quite some incomplete ideas being formed here on the concept of karma.

Karma is more than reaping what is sown.

Karma begins to roll from intention, gathers momentum from action, which habituates (gives birth) to a similar repetition of same intention, which again births a similar action... thats basically what karma is.

Habitual tendencies and karma are synonymous. Anyone who can cut even one negative habit is said to have cut that particular root and so prevent said karma from perpetuating. Anyone who can repeatedly instil positive intent is moving in the direction of merit, even before action commences. Merit means gaining enthusiasm and sustenance from having acted in accordance with the positive intent and seeing the fruits arising thereon, and repeating the same will yield the same result, again and again. Because karma manifests on various levels, some of which cannot be seen by those who have not yet stabilize meditative mindfulness, a little confusion and misunderstanding often follows. Its ok, quite the norm.

In order to see the workings of karma, look into one's state of mind with great attention, and see how its moods affect one's actions (or inaction, in some cases).

The good thing about karma is that its easily manipulated. Change your mood, and that brings immediate transformation to whats going on around you. Choose a different response to one which is driven by negative habit, and future obstacles are already averted. Keep doing it, and a new positive habit is instilled. Mindfulness and attentiveness are the keys that unlock the ability for this process to become more and more refined.

In short, karma is the law of process. Nobody can deny the existence of processes. It is that which defines the whole of existence.

• Like 4

All events in nature proceed at the direction of the interrelationship of natural phenomena.

There are no accidents.
If you plant an mango seed, the resulting tree will be mango tree.

I can understand karma as cause and effect, yet I believe in accidents. There are times when dominoes fall in the way they shouldn't and actions don't have an equal and opposite reaction. Luck plays a role. And if you plant a mango seed the result is simply nothing; it doesn't germinate, no future tree.

Random factors collide

Entropy and apathy slow systems

History and events are not as neat

as karma would explain.

I can understand karma as cause and effect, yet I believe in accidents. There are times when dominoes fall in the way they shouldn't and actions don't have an equal and opposite reaction. Luck plays a role. And if you plant a mango seed the result is simply nothing; it doesn't germinate, no future tree.

Random factors collide

as karma would explain.

Could you give me some examples of accidents that happened with no cause ?
Dominoes fall in the way they shouldn't be.... Or... They fall in the way we didn't want ?
<_<
Edited by PimonratC

Random factors collide

as karma would explain.

Karma is not neat, it is beyond complex and absolutely comprehensive.

It's simply the mind's capacity that is too limited to put all the pieces together…

Karma is not neat, it is beyond complex and absolutely comprehensive.
It's simply the mind's capacity that is too limited to put all the pieces together…

Jig Saw Puzzle.

You have to put the pieces together.

If you solve the riddle of your life, you remember who you are.

If you are lucky, sometimes the pieces all just fall into place.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Sign in to follow this