yabyum24

Micro-cosmic orbit - a question

I've seen instructions for this practice but I was wondering what its purpose is exactly. Something to do with energy but does anyone have any more precise details.

One function is to purify your energy. The watery energy of the LDT can be "evaporated" and ascends.

Getting used to the habit of trying to move your internal energy with thoughts/force maybe? :P

Well, somewhat more seriously, as far as I know it's one of those "imitating the result to reach high goals" things.

So past practicioners experienced energy movements during their practice while advancing, so people had the idea that they might advance by inducing such circulations.

If you ask me it's like the trial to imitate the functioning of a fountain by using your hands to throw water in the air in order to understand the fountain. You may indeed learn s.thing about fountains and water if you do it regularly and with clear and honest observation and reflection about what's really happening, but depending on your personal capabilities to learn this way you might never find out how a fountain really works, and later even stick to the idea that hands are necessary to make water move at all.

Something like this :)

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 2

Opening the MCO is about clearing the Ren and Du Vessels/ Channels. By doing so, all the Channels/ Vessels in the body are able to flow better. There are some blocks/ passes that must be opened and that is a big deal.

Thing is, the MCO already moves. Its already activated. It just can do more and be more efficient/ stronger.

A good place to start is to just feel your body. Meditate and allow your body to show you the MCO. Mindfullness, really. I prefer that to imagining it existing.

Just keep breathing.

Great point! I can feel mine move in accordance with breath. If I breath, it moves smoothly. If I dont, it gets all wibbly wobbly. Natural abdominal breathing is the place to start. Get a good pump going and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Peace

• Like 2

I think it's a generally confused topic, people mostly receive counter-productive instruction re: the mco (and so achieve nothing or actually hurt themselves over time).

• Like 7

I think it's a generally confused topic, people mostly receive counter-productive instruction re: the mco (and so achieve nothing or actually hurt themselves over time).

That is an excellent point. I think we often focus on it because we think its high level and really achieve little in actually developing. Sure, its great to get in touch with your bodies systems. Being able to understand how you work and feel when something is off is vital.

• Like 1

I have read this once in my native literature. The Micro-cosmic Orbit(小周天) must be accomplished before the Macro-cosmic Orbit(大周天).

Normally, an ordinary person cannot perform deep breathing constantly. Constantly means every time when one breathes is deep down to the abdomen.

The purpose of the Micro-cosmic Orbit is to open the channel between the Ren Meridian(任脈, Conception Vessel) and the Du Meridian(督脈, Governor Vessel). So, they can be connected in order to reach all other meridians.

The process of the Micro-cosmic Orbit is to breathe so that the chi is sunken to the low dan tian. When one has the feeling that the breathing is deep down to the LDT, then it was considered that the Micro-cosmic orbit channel has been opened or cleared. Thus the Ren and Du Meridians are being connected and the Micro-cosmic Orbit has been completed. This is really not a special method rather than just a concept by a group of ancient Taoists.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

I've seen instructions for this practice but I was wondering what its purpose is exactly. Something to do with energy but does anyone have any more precise details.

Every form of meditation is supposed to still the mind.

According to the ancient daoists, the mind mounts on Qi. SO, when the Qi flows properly, the mind is still.

From here, you have two approach to meditation:

1-working on Qi to still the mind;

2-stilling the mind to make the Qi flows properly in a spontaneous way;

The latter is considered the best method.

• Like 1

Every form of meditation is supposed to still the mind.

According to the ancient daoists, the mind mounts on Qi. SO, when the Qi flows properly, the mind is still.

From here, you have two approach to meditation:

1-working on Qi to still the mind;

2-stilling the mind to make the Qi flows properly in a spontaneous way;

The latter is considered the best method.

Seems like a good idea, as there's no "forcing" anything. I ask, as we did something like mco in our Tai Chi class last week and I found it very nice indeed. The instructor introduced us to the channels from his system.

As I have a background in Tibetan Tantra - with its channels, I found this very interesting. The whole Dantian thing is similar to the chakra system teachings for tummo.

I daresay the teachings are referencing the same or similar sets of phenomena.

All spiritual sciences study the same object.

As to breathing, I had awful trouble breathing my entire life.

Poor Gyeltsen!

Lesson #1 never forget to breathe

I was put in an incubator on birth.

Throughout my life I had a nasal sounding voice and trouble breathing through my nose.

I would develop a stitch when running, my breathing was inadequate to my bodies needs.

And so many other ills develop as a result of incorrect breathing.

And not being able to breathe through the nose can make kissing difficult!

On the other hand, miracles can occur with correct breathing.

After my event my breathing underwent a natural transformation.

Nasal passages cleared, very deep abdominal breathing adopted as a natural thing.

First, of course, I had to be hollowed out.

It's not an easy thing, being hollowed out.

But I shaman.

I hollow man.

• Like 3

I would develop a stitch when running, my breathing was inadequate to my bodies needs.

From someone who suffered with bad asthma as a kid, I can relate to that. The wild, unruly and unremitting wind took it from me, day after day as I cycled to my new school in the countryside. Sweating, and scarcely conscious, I would fight a headwind, there and back, as it had changed direction by the afternoon. It hollowed me out too - blowing the clogged up paths clear.

I owe the wind a great debt. More asthma sufferers should know about this.

• Like 2

I daresay the teachings are referencing the same or similar sets of phenomena.

All spiritual sciences study the same object.

As to breathing, I had awful trouble breathing my entire life.

Poor Gyeltsen!

Lesson #1 never forget to breathe

I was put in an incubator on birth.

Throughout my life I had a nasal sounding voice and trouble breathing through my nose.

And so many other ills develop as a result of incorrect breathing.

And not being able to breathe through the nose can make kissing difficult!

On the other hand, miracles can occur with correct breathing.

After my event my breathing underwent a natural transformation.

Nasal passages cleared, very deep abdominal breathing adopted as a natural thing.

First, of course, I had to be hollowed out.

It's not an easy thing, being hollowed out.

Most people don't know what Chi Kung is all about. And this guy knows, Chi Kung is the Ultimate Method of Breathing(UMB).

PS.....

If no one can pass this hurdle or understand this simple concept, then one cannot go any further for advancement.

Edited by ChiDragon

Everything outside our body in the cosmos is also replicated inside each and every one us.

This is in part my understanding of the micro-cosmic orbit.

• Like 2

Everything outside our body in the cosmos is also replicated inside each and every one us.

This is in part my understanding of the micro-cosmic orbit.

yes. I've learned enough about Taoist cosmology/astrology to know that I don't really have a chance to understand the MCO the way it's meant to be understood. I'm too stupid and impatient. And busy. Most of us are.

But I did learn that, like the cosmos, the MCO exists with or without my influence and the best thing to do is to simply observe it and let it take its own course. The error I made for many years was in thinking that I can move stars and planets. I've stopped striving and can now feel the power welling up inside of me.

• Like 4

One function is to purify your energy. The watery energy of the LDT can be "evaporated" and ascends.

What's the 'watery energy of the LDT'?

Regarding how to activate the microcosmic orbit. I once ate just rice and water for a few days and my micro cosmic orbit started working. I could feel a ball of energy about the size of golfball rising up my spine, over the top of my head, down my face and front of my body, back up my spine again and so on. But later that night I went out got drunk and smoked ciggerettes and I stopped feeling it. So toxins and 'unskillful' behaviour definitely limit your ability to sense it. I'll add that i'd been meditating for 7 years or so it might not just be your diet. However along with meditating i'd been eating a bad diet, smoking, drinking alcohol and sometimes taking drugs so that seriously affected my ability to sense these things. I had never realised how harmful these actions were in the past but now i've stopped drinking, drugs and eat a much better diet and can start to sense energies much, much better but not as strong as that one time.

A few months ago I was meditating and my lower Dan Tian suddenly started rotating. It was an amazing feeling. Could feel it spinning in different directions and at a really fast speed. I went to make a cup of coffee and smoke a ciggerette and I heard a voice say 'you'll regret doing this'. I said 'Why?' and the voice said 'you'll see'. I had the ciggerette and coffee and I could no longer feel my dantian turning.

Perhaps someone could clarify this but I don't think these things like microcosmic orbit/dantian rotation/kundalini rising can just be started mechanicaly by a particular practice but are activated by spiritual intelligences when your karma is right?

Edited by SpiralTrance
  • Like 3

Its basically just your sexual energy. Instead of following its tendency to flow down and out as water does, you can refine it.

• Like 1

Its basically just your sexual energy. Instead of following its tendency to flow down and out as water does, you can refine it.

Do you refine it through dual tantra or solitary breathing exercises? Also i've encountered some systems that say you should never ejeculate under any circumstance and to do so is black tantra/magic. Would you agree with this assertion?

I've done celibacy before for about 6 months and regularly for 2-3 weeks at a time. I've heard to be celibate and not spill indefinitely is harmful. Yet others claim its harmful to spill. I'm confused about this issue.

Edited by SpiralTrance
  • Like 1

Do you refine it through dual tantra or solitary breathing exercises? Also i've encountered some systems that say you should never ejeculate under any circumstance and to do so is black tantra/magic. Would you agree with this assertion?

I've done celibacy before for about 6 months and regularly for 2-3 weeks at a time. I've heard to be celibate and not spill indefinitely is harmful. Yet others claim its harmful to spill. I'm confused about this issue.

Solitary using mind is an option, breathing is another way. Either way, you don't want to force the energy, should be aiming to be focused yet somewhat effortless. Generally should be taught to you by a teacher though.

Nah i don't agree with that. It's no big deal, you will just have more energy to refine if you are comfortably retaining.

Best to just be natural, a little is OK, but if you want to progress then going over the top is unhelpful.

Edited by Ish
  • Like 1

Solitary using mind is an option, breathing is another way. Either way, you don't want to force the energy, should be aiming to be focused yet somewhat effortless. Generally should be taught to you by a teacher though.

Nah i don't agree with that. It's no big deal, you will just have more energy to refine if you are comfortably retaining.

Best to just be natural, a little is OK, but if you want to progress then going over the top is unhelpful.

Thanks.

Definitely agrre with "Either way, you don't want to force the energy, should be aiming to be focused yet somewhat effortless"

Edited by SpiralTrance
  • Like 1

From someone who suffered with bad asthma as a kid, I can relate to that. The wild, unruly and unremitting wind took it from me, day after day as I cycled to my new school in the countryside. Sweating, and scarcely conscious, I would fight a headwind, there and back, as it had changed direction by the afternoon. It hollowed me out too - blowing the clogged up paths clear.

I owe the wind a great debt. More asthma sufferers should know about this.

Friend of mine, was healed of 25 years of asthma in one pranayama breathing session.

Has never touched an inhaler since.

Breathe on!

• Like 2

Perhaps someone could clarify this but I don't think these things like microcosmic orbit/dantian rotation/kundalini rising can just be started mechanicaly by a particular practice but are activated by spiritual intelligences when your karma is right?

Emphatically, both.