chegg

Poll: Why do you keep visiting the Taobums website ?

Poll: Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)

• To relieve my boredom
    • I was brought here by hidden forces
    • I'm a taoist and this website suits my interests
    • I'm not a taoist but this website interests me
    • The people here are interesting
    • The topics are interesting
    • There are no trolls on these forums
    • I want to get enlightened by using the information posted here
    • I come here for entertainment purposes
    • I hate taoism so I come here to disrupt the flow of discussions
    • I'm spiritually challenged and this website helps my developement
    • I'm mentally challenged and this website resonates with me
    • I'm addicted and dont have anywhere else to go that'll have me
    • I'm a master troll and I can troll you all seemlessly without you even knowing it
    • I dont believe in any of this rubbish but I'm interested to see what makes you all tick
    • I want to heal myself or receive a healing
    • I come here for no particular reason
    • I want to help my fellow human beings
    • People here that 'cultivate' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant'

This is my first poll. I'm interested to know why people visit and stay here for so long.

BTW, you can vote on more than one choice.

Love to TTB

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 2

I placed my vote. Only you will know how I voted.

I'm not really interested who voted for what. Just the overall numbers. :)

By the way, you can make more than one selection ! (Delete your vote and reselect if you like)

edit: I think I chose about 10 of them. lol.

Bless you Marblehead

:wub: :wub: :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Edited by chegg

Good poll. I also like the eclectic nature of the board. So many people from diverse backgrounds sharing insight and information. That's quite unique on line. Generally people prefer to retreat into their own closed tribal units and view others with a certain paranoia.

There is also quite a high class of quasi-trolling to be had from time to time, which stops things getting too heavy. Or it lands in the pit or a ban or whatever.

• Like 6

I'll go with, I thought I'd learn more about Taoism, but then stayed because I like the people here :D.

It's difficult to learn more about Taoism as everyone argues everything back and forth lol. Actually when I first joined I thought all Taoists practiced Taoist magic, and that these forums would be full of such discussions! Darn lol. There's some though if you look ;).

One thing I really like about TTBs is it seems to have quite a high % of people who actually practice! I have found this to be quite rare on the internet unfortunately, and find it nice.

PS I figure it's gotta be karma related somehow lol.

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 3

By the way, you can make more than one selection ! (Delete your vote and reselect if you like)

Bless you Marblehead

You made the poll public (in other words everyone can see who voted what; I doubt any who are here to troll or whatever are going to be honest considering.

Tao Bums satisfies my need to discuss some of the more esoteric aspects of Chinese internal arts. Only a few of my T'ai Chi friends can feel energy and we really don't discuss it a lot. I've met some good people through Tao Bums (several I've met in the really real world) and I feel like some of the best Qigong and Neigong schools are represented here.

• Like 6

A few reasons but mainly the same as OldChi's reason above. The community used to be a wonderful resource when I first started learning, now I have so many people on ignore and wish some of the teachers we had here a few years ago would return. Still, it's one of the few places I can speak of the more esoteric side of my practice without sounding insane to everyone.

• Like 3

I'd never thought of that, how is it that people don't have anyone of like mind to talk to/with? Sure I live in a large city now, but I have also lived in one place in the US with only 30,000 people and knew MANY practitioners. Lived on an island with 10,000 people and knew a few practitioners. Oh hell I even lived in a small town in Texas for a time and knew a few practitioners! Then there are the people I find online... Since those who I don't have the most important things to me in common with, I tend to not hang out with... ALL the people I know have at least similar practices :).

I have heard this elsewhere as well though, folks not even having one person they can discuss things openly with. I find this very unfortunate :(. Good thing for TTBs.

• Like 5

I think it largely depends on where you are and how open the practitioner community is. Here in Arizona I didn't meet another practitioner other than my teacher until about a year after I stared learning. I have been instructed to keep silent IRL regarding just about everything in my practice that is not martially oriented or "yoga" so that I am not attacked.

• Like 2

I placed my vote. Only you will know how I voted.

Posting this proves you are mentally challenged :)

I'd never thought of that, how is it that people don't have anyone of like mind to talk to/with? Sure I live in a large city now, but I have also lived in one place in the US with only 30,000 people and knew MANY practitioners. Lived on an island with 10,000 people and knew a few practitioners. Oh hell I even lived in a small town in Texas for a time and knew a few practitioners! Then there are the people I find online... Since those who I don't have the most important things to me in common with, I tend to not hang out with... ALL the people I know have at least similar practices :).

I have heard this elsewhere as well though, folks not even having one person they can discuss things openly with. I find this very unfortunate :(. Good thing for TTBs.

I think a lot of it has to do with your social circles. I know the vast majority of people I hang out with are those I met either through Uni or the club/music scene, neither of which have a thriving population of occult/energetic practitioners. Those I have met in this city who are even remotely spiritual tend to be new age caricatures. Even when I started taking meditation classes, it was more or less exclusively middle aged suburbanites looking for a way to deal with the stress of their 3 kids & middle management jobs.

• Like 5

where else does one fine this type of comradery ?

i have met more than one handful of bums in person and they are the same as they are online,

genuine, authentic, good energy, generous, and Taoist -like in their own unique, interesting way.

there is a shared energy here that we benefit from, no?

• Like 5

Bless you Marblehead

Yes, I saw you hit quite a few of them. My vote stands although anyone knowing how I voted would likely get an incorrect understanding.

• Like 1

TBB is like the last man standing in the taoism discussion boards arena. All the other decent ones of yore have either disappeared completely or they're visited by the same 4 or 5 pepple who have been there since the previous century...

• Like 2

You've got it. However, do you understand?

No because I am completely sane ... er ... !?!

• Like 1

I think it largely depends on where you are and how open the practitioner community is. Here in Arizona I didn't meet another practitioner other than my teacher until about a year after I stared learning. I have been instructed to keep silent IRL regarding just about everything in my practice that is not martially oriented or "yoga" so that I am not attacked.

We all keep stuff silent about our practices for various reasons... but I have found that even talking about the weather with another practitioner is more interesting than with someone who has not been there done that. Also there is always some stuff one can share. At a guess your teacher meant to the general pubic (unless its a secrets of that school sort of thing), but close friends are different.

It seems we draw one another. I have had so many times I'll meet someone, we'll hit it off, then we find out, well yes of course we both practice something energetic ;).

PS how on earth can taichi people not feel qi?

• Like 3

I think a lot of it has to do with your social circles. I know the vast majority of people I hang out with are those I met either through Uni or the club/music scene, neither of which have a thriving population of occult/energetic practitioners. Those I have met in this city who are even remotely spiritual tend to be new age caricatures. Even when I started taking meditation classes, it was more or less exclusively middle aged suburbanites looking for a way to deal with the stress of their 3 kids & middle management jobs.

Actually I think I just find people intuitively, and likely vice versa. We can sort of just tell each other. Though the middle management folks you describe above tend to shun me, unless they are the middle management by day, and various odd and interesting practices by night sort ;).

I guess I also attend things like meetup, or create my own as well though, until I find a few folks I get along with, then stop going lol.

Btw,met 2 TTBers in person, then a couple of others I got to know pretty well over chat and/or phone. All pretty awesome people :). All actually quite different in person than how they post on here now that I think about it lololol.

• Like 1