Sign in to follow this  
marcus2013

BaguaZhang in Spain

Does anyone know, by any chance, a real BaguaZhang teacher in Spain ? More precisely in Barcelona.

I know about one scholl that teaches Bagua (they spell it PaKua) but they teach it purely on Martial Arts form... No comments.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

If you can find purely martial bagua I'd go for that. Bagua is after all a MARTIAL art. Regardless of whether there are deeper health/energetic aspects to be taught in the art (depends on lineage as to the depth you are taught) you will gain benefit from any qualified in person instruction. Try to remember that these martial arts became famous because of fighting skills their best representatives possessed. The same body mechanics you will use for fighting will also be used in the more meditatively focused arts. Pa kua chang is how it was Romanized in the Wade-Giles transliteration system whereas baguazhang is the Pinyin transliteration.

• Like 2

Good thing it is martial, means they didn't water it down (well less likely). In Bagua, anything which can harm can also heal, and tends to do so through practicing it over and over and over.

• Like 3

Marcus, you need to study this art from a martial perspective, no matter what. Whether you want to focus on the martial aspect is entirely up to you. A good Bagua teacher will be a martial artist. You need to learn the grounding aspect and focus on it entirely, especially in the beginning (first few years of practice). Jus make sure your teacher doesn't teach it in an outdoor environment ENTIRELY as you might learn an strange hybrid....who knows what is out there. The best Bagua taught in China and Taiwan is always based in the local parks. You could also ask for a teacher in the Rum Soaked Fist forum or even better in any of the Spanish Martial Arts forums. I wish you the best of luck in this initial search, which is probably as important as the art itself (finding a good teacher).

Note: My teacher had to travel and live to Beijing to learn Bagua; later on, he travelled back and forth between Aust. & China to continue with his studies. If you are serious about learning this amazing and life-changing art you must take whatever measures are required.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this