Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

"No one likes to be judged..."

I think its bad when the mind is preoccupied with judging things. When its done all the time but judging is a very useful tool when done consciously. There's a survival mechanism in it. I feel similarly about guilt and fear, they have there places as long as you use them and aren't controlled or obsessed.

• Like 1

it has to do with status symbols, oi think.

Without these, peace will reign supreme.

Then there is no need to label anything.

No labels, no judgements.

More labels, more judgements.

like calling someone a buddha, for example.

then you want to kill the label, the construct in your mind.

kinda waste of energy, dont you think?

:D

• Like 1

Judging is certainly an illness of the mind, which co-originates as a protective mechanism as has been stated.

The core of the issue might be, how can we stop judging, and that is basically, how can we stop labeling, and basically the answer is obviously, mental cultivation.

Stupid thread!

Sorry.. lol

Not a stupid thread. Really. The concept of judging is important in our life. We constantly judge things and other people.

The thing is, we should judge only that which needs be judged on it own merits only.

For me to judge something useless to me is very helpful in my living my life with as few problems as possible.

However, when we start judging other people we need use strict standards, the same standards by which we would judge ourself. And these standards must be valid, not some off-the-wall prejudices.

Judge the individual according to the individual.

• Like 2

Not a stupid thread. Really. The concept of judging is important in our life. We constantly judge things and other people.

The thing is, we should judge only that which needs be judged on it own merits only.

For me to judge something useless to me is very helpful in my living my life with as few problems as possible.

However, when we start judging other people we need use strict standards, the same standards by which we would judge ourself. And these standards must be valid, not some off-the-wall prejudices.

Wrong....sorry to tell you, but judging at all is simply the mind labeling things as 'this' or 'that,' when in all actuality, you don't know whether that thing you are labeling is a this or that in the first place since you are not that thing which you think you know.

Example:

I think I know you (let's pretend, for I do not know you)...I label you as such and such from tiny bits of perceived information...this is like you went to NY city once and you saying you know NY city, which you don't.

This error of conceptual vs. actual knowing is illustrated by the false understanding of this phrase, which I believe Deepak Chopra co-originated...

"The whole banquet is in the first bite."

An incorrect view of this quote would be as such: This means that you assume, upon tasting a bite of the delicious banquet, that you have tasted all that you need to in order to determine the quality and isness of the banquet. - just because you taste a plum doesn't mean you know what the fish tastes like.

An enlightened being, however, does have the power to know the whole of a thing with one bite, because they see clearly...you have a dirty mirror, so your vision is clouded...;)

Well, I see this is a place where we will have to agree to disagree and let it be.

You have placed upon me attributes that do not belong to me.

• Like 1

Well, I see this is a place where we will have to agree to disagree and let it be.

You have placed upon me attributes that do not belong to me.

both true and false....

you see clearly on some level, but on the surface level you do not...Your Buddha self is in the background. So you are already that Buddha, but your mind is in the way is all. Once your mind stops projecting things onto the scene and in front of your true eye, then you will be that.

So you have something to be upset about when I say this, yet at the same time you do not!

It's all good clean fun in any event.

I don't think there is much wrong with Judging. If you do Judge, however, you are setting yourself up for a cause-effect scenario. So if you don't like being Judged, I recommend you don't judge yourself.

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

I FIND THE TAO BUMS GUILTY !!!

Bless you innocents !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I second that finding!

• Like 1

both true and false....

you see clearly on some level, but on the surface level you do not...Your Buddha self is in the background. So you are already that Buddha, but your mind is in the way is all. Once your mind stops projecting things onto the scene and in front of your true eye, then you will be that.

So you have something to be upset about when I say this, yet at the same time you do not!

It's all good clean fun in any event.

You do realize, of course, that here you have no fucking idea what you are talking about and you know absolutely nothing about me except what I have typed on this forum and everything I have said is a lie so bottom line you have no fucking idea who or what I am and you are talking about how bad it is to judge but there you sit doing more judging than any federal judge has done during the past month.

And I am NOT a Buddhist. Dont' ever misunderstand that!

• Like 1

You do realize, of course, that here you have no fucking idea what you are talking about and you know absolutely nothing about me except what I have typed on this forum and everything I have said is a lie so bottom line you have no fucking idea who or what I am and you are talking about how bad it is to judge but there you sit doing more judging than any federal judge has done during the past month.

And I am NOT a Buddhist. Dont' ever misunderstand that!

I apologize for judging you. I shall not repeat this offense.

EDIT:

...that is I will not do it here, but in my head I will continue to judge you until I am free of my own tendency to judge.

Again my apologies!

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 3

Be nice, people!

You guys left it a while for dearest chegg to come up with the right answer.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Now I admit I shamelessly steal (Great Artist Steel!), so I put that in a poem;

To be unjudged, refrain from judging!

Stand firm in virtue, e'er unbudging!

• Like 2

If someone is consistently troublesome, it's wise to avoid them. But we can still understand that this is due to causes and conditions and not the entirety of who they are, rather than them being inherently awful.

Judging a person's BEHAVIOUR may be necessary, and doesn't imply judging THEM.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 4

I dont mind being judged . So I am allowed to judge everybody else :) Why dont I mind? because its going to be done anyway. It inevitable that a sentient creature will judge in its own way the things which may have an impact on its own situation. There are however things which one decides have little to no bearing on the situation one is in. For that stuff one can reserve judgement ..leave the issue undecided..put a positive spin on it ..or ignore it. Anyone likes being judged favorably and dislikes being found wanting but one doesnt have to mind that the judging is done.

The thread is a good subject. Mhs mirror is not dirty, its bright and clear.. Ss is just fooling around he knows the ironic nature of his comment. .and recognizes his humor went a little past welcome.

See ? not all judging is bad ..its just part of the reasoning process. It is How one judges which can throw light or dark shades on what is before us..

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 3

"Yet everyone likes to judge..."

Let's explore this topic!

Liking and not liking things is inherently judgemental. People generally like compliments and that's a judgement. Maybe everyone likes to criticize, but no one likes to be criticized. Still not completely true. It is cloudy, but when people start to believe they see clearly and perceive everything as good and evil, black and white, that can cause more troubles than the cloudiness. Shapeshifting and give it all the slip might help, what you thought you judged wasn't even the same thing as it is now. The present is now, judgements are based on the old things that used to be.

• Like 2

But if you judge everything on it's own merits, that is hard work and tiring and i don't think we would have time. We group things together and make generalizations so that we can judge more things with less work and hopefully reap more cream and leave more problems behind. I think theres nothing wrong with being prejudice, so long as you're open to changing your initial thoughts if the judged warrants it. I judge people on race, whether they are male or female, if they have tattoos, piercings, smile, look grumpy, i judge on it all.

If someone is asian well i automatically judge them a certain way, and even differently depending on their country, because i have experienced their culture. Russians like to drink alcohol, english don't like spicy food. Italians can be sneaky, they're always trying to fake it that they got hurt in the world cup.... it's in their bones. Chinese are indirect, thais just like to enjoy themselves, etc. They ARE different. It's not racist because i don't think they are better or worse for it. These are not like / dislike judgements, rather it gives me insight into the person with some degree of accuracy.

If i see a guy with tear drops tattooed on his face and ink all up his neck wearing rough looking clothes drunk and falling over i would probably leave him alone, however if he was skinny without tatoos, had glasses on and was having trouble standing up i'd probably try to help him sit down safely.

The most useful judging for me however is judging facial expressions and physical actions in each moment where you can see the truth.

• Like 1

If someone is consistently troublesome, it's wise to avoid them. But we can still understand that this is due to causes and conditions and not the entirety of who they are, rather than them being inherently awful.

Judging a person's BEHAVIOUR may be necessary, and doesn't imply judging THEM.

Great point, and useful when you can't stay out of dualistic-hyper-predicating-mind-mode, although still better left behind in the long run. When you non-act through non-doing, you will not need to judge, for your actions will occur spontaneously according to the Tao.

It helps though for survival until you can let it go and be merry with the Taomind.

I am like glue, or molasses in the hands of the Tao...

edit:

with some crunchy bits still melting....my energy will melt into a light body someday, which will be like glowing electromagnetic/ionic oil of pure fluid anything being.

I dont mind being judged . So I am allowed to judge everybody else :) Why dont I mind? because its going to be done anyway. It inevitable that a sentient creature will judge in its own way the things which may have an impact on its own situation. There are however things which one decides have little to no bearing on the situation one is in. For that stuff one can reserve judgement ..leave the issue undecided..put a positive spin on it ..or ignore it. Anyone likes being judged favorably and dislikes being found wanting but one doesnt have to mind that the judging is done.

The thread is a good subject. Mhs mirror is not dirty, its bright and clear.. Ss is just fooling around he knows the ironic nature of his comment. .and recognizes his humor went a little past welcome.

See ? not all judging is bad ..its just part of the reasoning process. It is How one judges which can throw light or dark shades on what is before us..

I love the wonderful flavor of labeling things - our minds are fucking super computers, and, when connected with the Taomind, become capable of great acts of beauty and creation. We are mini Tao-minds within ourselves, a reflection of the multi-verse....And we can also just relax and let Tao-mind do everything, which is fucking ecstatic as fuck! Y'all know wadda mean - hells yeah!

Yeah its fun to speculate .. and yep too it can be fun to haul-off and let fly with unfair or poorly considered judjements just because it gets so tedious to keep making ' excuses ' for everybody when it doesnt seem to be coming your own way quite often enough. I like to do that best when Im driving. :)

But , slowly , and quite to my surprise of late, is that somehow Im also having some fun by keeping my yap shut and letting some things just roll off my shoulders.. I cant explain it..Logically it doesnt seem to make sense to me.Im working on it becoming a habit as natural to me as sarcasm used to be. Some other day Ill come up with some long boring analysis of it ..but for now..Im not.

• Like 4

But if you judge everything on it's own merits, that is hard work and tiring and i don't think we would have time.

Valid points all. I won't argue against any of them.

But still ...

The acts of generalizing, stereotyping, and prejudging are blockages against seeing reality as it truely is. Filled with errors.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this