Yoda

B. Katie's new book "A thousand Names for Joy"

She's team written it with her taoist translator partner. Very autobiographical, should be a good read. Anyone checked it out?

She's team written it with her taoist translator partner. Very autobiographical, should be a good read. Anyone checked it out?

Old thread, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Almost finished reading this book and its a good read, Byron definitely seems to me to be someone who has done a lot of work on herself. Interesting to me is that it seems like she accesses a pretty deep level of emptiness cultivation initiated through intellectual self-inquiry. I never really thought much of these sorts of methods in the past but I have to admit that there's something here that works for me and complements my own practice.

Old thread, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Almost finished reading this book and its a good read, Byron definitely seems to me to be someone who has done a lot of work on herself. Interesting to me is that it seems like she accesses a pretty deep level of emptiness cultivation initiated through intellectual self-inquiry. I never really thought much of these sorts of methods in the past but I have to admit that there's something here that works for me and complements my own practice.

Welcome back Hugo :)

In which case you may want to do a little research on the path of jnana (meaning knowledge). It is one of three categories that Hindus describe as a path to union with the Divine. The others being karma (good deeds) and bhakti (devotion).

Although jnana translates as knowledge, the practices usually include both the intellectual hunt for knowledge as well as meditative practices to encourage the growth of wisdom. As such, it was very much a path commonly followed by the higher castes in Hindu society as lower castes had little, if any, access to any formal education.

If I remember rightly there were quite a few 'gurus' who came to enlightenment by having a deep think!

I'm currently reading a very good introduction to Hinduism by K M Sen published by Penguin - highly recommend it if this is new territory for you.

Yours humbly,

James

P.S. Sorry for being a little off topic folks

Welcome back Hugo :)

In which case you may want to do a little research on the path of jnana (meaning knowledge). It is one of three categories that Hindus describe as a path to union with the Divine. The others being karma (good deeds) and bhakti (devotion).

Although jnana translates as knowledge, the practices usually include both the intellectual hunt for knowledge as well as meditative practices to encourage the growth of wisdom. As such, it was very much a path commonly followed by the higher castes in Hindu society as lower castes had little, if any, access to any formal education.

If I remember rightly there were quite a few 'gurus' who came to enlightenment by having a deep think!

I'm currently reading a very good introduction to Hinduism by K M Sen published by Penguin - highly recommend it if this is new territory for you.

Yours humbly,

James

P.S. Sorry for being a little off topic folks

Thanks James. Funny that you mention the Jhanas as I've just recently been looking into stuff by Acharn Brahm on Jhana practice. Enlightenment primarily through the intellectual channel though is an interesting and new concept for me. I used to think that it wasn't possible but I'm now thinking, "why not"?