BaguaKicksAss

Anyone here do 3D rendering/CAD stuff?

I'm trying to figure out how to get a flat image (say a Bagua for example) into a raised (few mm) depth image, but with a backing to it, instead of just raised lines in the air. Though I need to do it with one of the free softwares (well or one I can find uhm easily heh) ;). I'd tried Blender and 123D, but can't seem to figure out how to get my *own* artwork inserted into there. I tried autocad awhile back and unfortunately that is way to far above my skillset; I need something much easier. Photoshop doesn't seem to save in any of the formats I need. I have also tried artcam, but it only saves in its own format :(. I need the files in STL, OBJ, X3D, DAE, Collada, or WRL.

Suggestions?

I've got some ipad photo apps (3d photoCut and Superimpose) that create the illusion of 3D. Usually by lowering the area of picture so main figure seems to pop out over the photo into blackness. If you have a couple of pictures you could email to me. I could see if I could pop'em out.

• Like 1

I unfortunately can only use programs which save files in the extensions listed above :(. Well that and it has to be true 3D... I can emboss in photoshop, but that doesn't cut it...

Used to do lots of CAD/CAM work (wireframe, solid modelling, constraints/parameters, finite-element analysis, toolpath generation, etc.) but don't currently have any software to play with. If you have no success in the next few days, BKA, let me know and I'll find something I can use to help you with.

• Like 1

Used to do lots of CAD/CAM work (wireframe, solid modelling, constraints/parameters, finite-element analysis, toolpath generation, etc.) but don't currently have any software to play with. If you have no success in the next few days, BKA, let me know and I'll find something I can use to help you with.

Thank you! :)

I'm also pestering folks on 3D printing forums heh.

You would think stuff like this would be automated "raise lines/embos" "make into flat 3mm high 3D" .

The term to look for is "extrusion." You want to extrude the 2-D shape along the axis orthogonal to its plane.

• Like 2

The term to look for is "extrusion." You want to extrude the 2-D shape along the axis orthogonal to its plane.

I can't find any 3D software, which produces any of the formats listed above, which will start off with my JPGs. I don't want to redraw all 200 :(.

OK googling extrusion ;).

I'd tried Blender and 123D, but can't seem to figure out how to get my *own* artwork inserted into there. I tried autocad awhile back and unfortunately that is way to far above my skillset; I need something much easier. Photoshop doesn't seem to save in any of the formats I need. I have also tried artcam, but it only saves in its own format :(. I need the files in STL, OBJ, X3D, DAE, Collada, or WRL.

Suggestions?

Hmm, I'm not sure that you can import an image file into a true 3D solid modeling program and protrude it?

Normally, you'd have to sketch the pattern from scratch and model it entirely within a program. Although with basic geometry like a bagua, that shouldn't be too hard...

Hmm, I'm not sure that you can import an image file into a true 3D solid modeling program and protrude it?

Normally, you'd have to sketch the pattern from scratch and model it entirely within a program. Although with basic geometry like a bagua, that shouldn't be too hard...

They are far from simple designs :(. The Bagua was one example, but the least complex of them all. Also I have 200 of them. They would take at least a couple of hours each to redraw.... with modern technology I seriously shouldn't have to do this, since well, people take your images and make them into 3D all the time! :) So I'm sure there is some software that helps out a bit.... ;).

since well, people take your images and make them into 3D all the time! :) So I'm sure there is some software that helps out a bit.... ;).

They do? Someone can take a jpg image file and somehow convert it into a 3D object stl file?? :blink:

I could see adding a special effect (like embossing) to a 2D file to make it look 3Dish...but actually turning it into a 3D object with a different file type?

Well, if you figure out how...let me know! Cuz I'd be curious, lol..

• Like 1

I can't find any 3D software, which produces any of the formats listed above, which will start off with my JPGs. I don't want to redraw all 200 :(.

OK googling extrusion ;).

Hmmm... This will be problematic.

JPG images are lossy compressed bitmaps rather than vectorized drawings.

You can use things like "embossing features" in Photoshop-like applications to simulate a 3D appearance but not to generate a true 3D object. To do that, you have to convert the bitmap to a vector drawing first.

Let's try a different approach.

Where did these JPGs originate? What are you going to do with the 3D files once you have them?

• Like 2

Hmmm... This will be problematic.

JPG images are lossy compressed bitmaps rather than vectorized drawings.

You can use things like "embossing features" in Photoshop-like applications to simulate a 3D appearance but not to generate a true 3D object. To do that, you have to convert the bitmap to a vector drawing first.

Let's try a different approach.

Where did these JPGs originate? What are you going to do with the 3D files once you have them?

I can save them as any type of image, since I have photoshop (an old version though).

I've PMed you with my use :D.

You might try a JPG to vector conversion tool (like this -- http://download.cnet.com/JPG-to-Vector-Converter/3000-20411_4-75695895.html) and then open it in a CAD package, clean up the file (fixing broken stuff, connecting corners, trimming edges, etc.) to make it an acceptable flat object and THEN extrude it.

CAD software (that I have tried so far) doesn't open any of those file formats though :(. If it did I would already be ready to go since I have photoshop which can save my images in many different formats...

Right, it's similar to how if you scan a book page into a jpg file and then insert it into MS Word, you're not going to be able to manipulate its text with it. Because Word will just see it as a random collection of pixels, not text characters. Same thing with importing an image into 3D CAD - 500 black pixels in a row won't be recognized as related points of a line extending between defined coordinates in 3D space. Even though the human eye would see it as one entity..

• Like 1

Return to your creation software and work on generating vector images. You'll probably find this the cleanest path forward.

http://www.teamphotoshop.com/articles-The-Techniques-Creating-a-Vector-image-in-Photoshop-5%2C8%2C101a.html

You should then be able to save in a format which allows you to open in a CAD package. Not aware of a free 3D CAD package which can save in any of those listed formats so a conversion might be necessary on the backend regardless (unless you can Google successfully for "free 3D CAD <insert-filetype>")

Edited by Brian

I never created the images. It would take me a couple of hours to make new ones of each one. Though Photoshop can save in some neat formats. Though none of photoshops formats open up in any 3D software :(.

Blender handels .obj/x3d files, its under Files _ Import / Export.

Edited by Tung
  • Like 1

if you can do 3d in photoshop you should be fine, but then you don't need blender, i think you should be ok for what you ware saying.

any way you have to trace your .jpg whit a spline line, then that can be extruded and made to an 3d object.

if you can do 3d in photoshop you should be fine, but then you don't need blender, i think you should be ok for what you ware saying.

any way you have to trace your .jpg whit a spline line, then that can be extruded and made to an 3d object.

I can't do 3D in photoshop I'd need to upgrade to a newer version of photoshop to do this... which I might just do... I tried autocad, too confusing ;(.

yea 3d software is confusing at first and they always add new features to them making them even more complicated.

one way to work in 3d is to, use the pictures of objects as a background and trace them in the program to extrude to make them 3d.

• Like 1

ok so can you save paths made in photoshop in? I gues you can as you started asking about using .obj files.

Brian was talking about this in a post.

Then things quickly gets tricky trying to get it right in blender, I'm afraid.

oh and a quick look at a tutorial i noticed you only have to have a one colored layer to make a 3d object in photoshop. So borrowing a newer version might be the quickest way.

Edited by Tung