ralis

Evolution vs. Creationism. Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham.

Bill Nye who is known as 'The Science Guy' debates Ken Ham who is the director of the 'Creation Museum' in Kentucky.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Yes! Ken Ham was someone that came through my church a few times as a kid. His material always seemed illogical and circular. I have mad respect for Bill Nye and have been waiting for this. Thanks!

I was very nauseated listening to Ham's so called logic/line of reasoning. What concerns me is the agenda to include creation science in all classrooms. Ham refers to the use of critical thinking at several points in his remarks.

• Like 1

speaking of evolution, or is it creation? i go with creation in the case of the coywolf.

it is the creation of the coyote and the wolf. or of nature. but it is an example of evolution too.

so trickster (coyote) decided to mate with the wolf. they seem to prefer the bronx over brooklyn.

so as a wolf would prefer to avoid human contact, this coywolf ventures on in closer.

• Like 3

*Yawn* Sounds like another outdated Republican-Democrat mainstream "debate"...

I'd be far more interested if a 3rd-party "ancient alien starseed" or other theorist was allowed to poke holes in both of their dogmatic models.

• Like 4

They actually both made some good points. I think there should be more intellectual debates on TV rather than just totally polarized rhetoric..

Ken claimed both Creationist and secular scientists lacked evidence for how taxonomic Families originally arose? And so both camps filled in these blind spots

. Of course, some of those Biblical beliefs were easy softballs for Bill to knock out of the park... :D

Meanwhile, Bill focused primarily on disproving that the Earth is only 4000 years old. However, he seemed to ignore the CORE debate about evolution itself?

Edited by vortex
  • Like 3

It's unfortunate that this kind of debate is basically set up to cause the masses to root for Science-ism...which (as defined by me) is not actually relying on the scientific method, but is just a form of atheistic blind faith in anything that sounds "scientific". Faith in the big bang, for instance, is nonsense and is the opposite of what science actually is about. When 2 people, and 2 people alone, are pitted against each other, people will want the lesser of the two evils to "win". That's obviously Nye. So the whole charade is basically geared toward making Creationism seem foolish, irregardless of what's actually said...I assume this is why Nye agreed to be involved.

I mean we have a guy up there saying the universe is only a few thousand years old, despite evidence to the contrary. He doesn't represent Creationism. But in the minds of the masses, he does.

edit: To be clear, I only watched the last question. My assumption is that the debate was meaningless...but maybe I'm wrong and this was actually productive.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

They actually both made some good points. I think there should be more intellectual debates on TV rather than just totally polarized rhetoric..

Ken claimed both Creationist and secular scientists lacked evidence for how taxonomic Families arose? And so both camps filled in these blind spots

. Of course, some of those Biblical beliefs were easy softballs for Bill to knock out of the park... :D

Meanwhile, Bill focused primarily on disproving that the Earth is only 4000 years old. However, he seemed to ignore the CORE debate about evolution itself?

The debate did not allow enough time for a thorough explanation of evolution. A debate of this nature is considered a general overview and if one is motivated to further study the subject matter, fine.

There a many resources on YouTube, college course work and reading available to anyone interested in furthering a better understanding of evolutionary theory.

• Like 4

I would also add that by observing nature and thinking what has occurred is a fantastic way to gain understanding of natural processes. That is why I love going to Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Mojave and Sonora Deserts as well as the myriad places out here in the West. Volcano's that have produced many layers of strata over millions of years are great resource for study.

• Like 3

Here is a lecture series given at Yale University. For some reason the coding has changed and is not displaying the YouTube video. Anyone know what is happening?

Edited by ralis

Works for me, ralis. (Maybe you corrected it in your edit...)

<Miss Emily Lutella>

Never mind.

</Miss Emily Lutella>

Edited by Brian

*Yawn* Sounds like another outdated Republican-Democrat mainstream "debate"...

I'd be far more interested if a 3rd-party "ancient alien starseed" or other theorist was allowed to poke holes in both of their dogmatic models.

The ancient alien business has no basis in fact. There is no proof at this time. The OP is in regards to the debate last night.

I was taught about evolution in the 2nd. or 3rd. grade. This is fundamentalist dogma being forced on children!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/sciencetest.asp

CreationistQuiz.jpg

CreationistQuiz-2.jpg

http://aattp.org/florida-christian-school-tells-children-atheists-dont-understand-gravity-because-god-did-it/

12-4-2013-2-29-13-AM.jpg

Edited by ralis

That looks like the homeschooling material a lot of my friends growing up had. Is that from a public school?

The snopes article is worth reading.

A few days after the Reddit posting, a reader wrote to us and maintained that the quiz displayed above belonged to his 10-year-old daughter, saying:

I didn't know that this was being taught to her until we heard a radio commercial together about the Discover the Dinosaurs exhibit was coming to the TD Convention Center [in Greenville, South Carolina].

The Commercial starts out, "After 65 million years, the dinosaurs have returned ..." She commented immediately that it was only four thousand years ago. When I corrected her, she snapped back, "Were you there?" I have since taught my daughter differently, but I am sure she is confused now and plan to make sure she understands that teachers are people too and can be factually wrong.

The test showed up [at] home a day later to my disgust.

It's a great school for Reading, Writing and Math. She is ahead of most of her peers and also is taking Latin there. But I now know to be vigilant for the rest of the year about her science teachings.

She will not be attending the school next year ...

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/sciencetest.asp#UgW1GBQJL2wggs2x.99

That looks like the homeschooling material a lot of my friends growing up had. Is that from a public school?

I think a Christian school. There is a push to include creationism along side evolutionary theory in public schools. That move is being pushed by folks in Texas.

It's been going on for a while now. The whole reason Pastafarianism arose was to counter the ridiculous intentions of some school board in Kansas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_evolution_hearings

Growing up I had young earth, Genesis-literal creationism shoved down my throat so far that I am sad to say I've probably read a dozen of Ken Ham's poorly written and completely illogical books in my life. I'm also not at all surprised that Arizona has some of the schools but I am surprised that California does not.