Imbolc or Imbolg (pronounced i-MOLK or i-MOLG ), also called (Saint) Brighid's Day (Irish: Lá Fhéile Bríde, Scottish Gaelic: Là Fhèill Brìghde, Manx: Laa'l Breeshey), is a Gaelic festival marking the beginning of spring. Most commonly it is held on 1 February, or about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.[1][2] Historically, it was widely observed in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. It is one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals—along with Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain[3]—and corresponds to the Welsh Gŵyl Fair y Canhwyllau. Christians observe it as the feast day of Saint Brighid, especially in Ireland.

Imbolc is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and there is evidence it has been an important date since ancient times. It is believed that it was originally a pagan festival associated with the goddess Brighid and that it was Christianized as a festival of Saint Brighid, who herself is thought to be a Christianization of the goddess. At Imbolc, Brighid's crosses were made and a doll-like figure of Brighid, called a Brídeóg, would be paraded from house-to-house. Brighid was said to visit one's home at Imbolc. To receive her blessings, people would make a bed for Brighid and leave her food and drink, while items of clothing would be left outside for her to bless. Brighid was also invoked to protect homes and livestock. Feasts were had, holy wells were visited and it was also a time for divination.

Although many of its customs died out in the 20th century, it is still observed and in some places it has been revived as a cultural event. Since the latter 20th century, Celtic neopagans and Wiccans have observed Imbolc, or something based on it, as a religious holiday.[1][2]

Since Imbolc is immediately followed (on 2 February) by Candlemas (Irish Lá Fhéile Muire na gCoinneal "feast day of Mary of the Candles", Welsh Gŵyl Fair y Canhwyllau),[6] Irish imbolc is sometimes rendered as "Candlemas" in English translation

Imbolc is strongly associated with Saint Brighid (Old Irish: Brigit, modern Irish: Bríd, modern Scottish Gaelic: Brìghde or Brìd, anglicized Bridget). Saint Brighid is thought to have been based on Brighid, a Gaelic goddess.[15] The festival, which celebrates the onset of spring, is thought to be linked with Brighid in her role as a fertility goddess.[12]She also found herself worshiped in hoodoo, often referred as Mama Brighid.

200px-Stbrigid.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc

so now, we have Groundhog day :ph34r:

http://www.realmagick.com/6805/imbolc-midwinter/

Imbolg/Imbolc is pronounced EM-Bowl-ig or ic, it also known as Midwinter, Candlemass, Oimelc, Lupercus, Lupecal, Disting, Brigatia (Brigid's Day), Lady Day and Groundhog Day. Imbolg translates, according to McCoy, to ewe's milk. Though McCoy does not say from which language this translates from, she does say it is because the ewes at this time of the year were pregnant and would start lactating. (McCoy, page 88) Like the other Great Sabbats of the Witches' year, Imblog celebrated on it's astrologically determined by the sun's reaching 15-degrees Aquarius. This date varies from year-to-year. Though it usually falls with in the first week of the month.

Imblog has become to be known as a time for ritual purification, and is one of the four major Celtic Fire Festivals. It is thought to have gained the name Candlemass, due to the poor weather at this time of year, making it almost impossible to have a Bonfire festival. Candles were thought to have been used as replacement to move the ritual indoors. Thus it gained the name Candlemass. (McCoy, page 88-89) However, there is no evidence to back up this claim and while it makes a better story than the truth, it is false.

Another name for the holiday is "Brigit's Day" or Lady's Day after the Irish Goddess Brigit. The kindling of sacred fires chiefly marked Brigit's holiday, since she symbolized the fire of birth and healing. The Catholic Pope, Serguis I (reigned 687 to 701 AD) was not happy with the Goddess worship that still thrived in many Catholic communities. Unable to stamp out the holiday, Serguis incorporated it with the Church. Renaming Brigatia to the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary or Candlemass. It was believed that women were impure for six weeks after giving birth. Since Mary gave birth to Jesus (historically) on the Winter Solstice, she wouldn't be purified until February 2nd. Pagans can translate this as the Great Mother once again becoming the Young Maiden Goddess. This allowed the Church another foothold in and already shrinking religion by not only making their choice become the focus of the holiday, but by replacing the Mother, with the Mother of God. Subtley, changing the focus of Goddess worship with that of God. (Henes, page 27)

Imbolg is the halfway point between winter and spring. A time when animals are stirring from their hibernation and plants are beginning to bud, even much of the earth is still under a blanket of snow. This concept of waking, and of being noted as a halfway point is further emphasized by the USA custom of Groundhog's Day.

Groundhog Day tells us that if the Groundhog, also known as Punxsutawney Phil, sees his shadow we will have six more weeks of winter, if he don't, spring will be here in six weeks. Thus connecting, this holiday to weather lore. This custom is very old. An ancient Scottish rhyme tells us that:

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2

Next Up:

Valentine's Day- also known as:

Werewolves-4.jpg

Lupercus

God of wolves, significant to Romans in that the mythological founders of the Roman Nation (Romulus and Remus) were suckled by a she-wolf in infancy.

Lupercalia was a very ancient, possibly pre-Roman[2] pastoral festival, observed on February 13 through 15 to avert evil spirits and purify the city, releasing health and fertility. Lupercalia subsumed Februa, an earlier-origin spring cleansing ritual held on the same date, which gives the month of February (Februarius) its name.

240px-Wolf_head%2C_1-100_CE%2C_bronze%2C

Lupercalia most likely derives from lupus, "wolf," though both the etymology and its significance are obscure[1](bronze wolf's head, 1st century AD)

The name Lupercalia was believed in antiquity to evince some connection with the Ancient Greek festival of the Arcadian Lykaia (from Ancient Greek: λύκοςlukos, "wolf", Latin lupus) and the worship of Lycaean Pan, assumed to be a Greek equivalent to Faunus, as instituted by Evander.[3]

In Roman mythology, Lupercus is a god sometimes identified with the Roman god Faunus, who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Pan.[4] Lupercus is the god of shepherds. His festival, celebrated on the anniversary of the founding of his temple on February 15, was called the Lupercalia. His priests wore goatskins. The historian Justin mentions an image of "the Lycaean god, whom the Greeks call Pan and the Romans Lupercus,"[5] nude save for the girdle of goatskin, which stood in the Lupercal, the cave where Romulus and Remus were suckled by a she-wolf. There, on the Ides of February (in February the ides is the 13th), a goat and a dog were sacrificed, and salt mealcakes prepared by the Vestal Virgins were burnt.

• Like 2

Chocolate Covered Dog Biscuits should be the gift to give at Valentines Day :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DqUFS2W3Q

Plutarch described Lupercalia:

Lupercalia, of which many write that it was anciently celebrated by shepherds, and has also some connection with the Arcadian Lycaea. At this time many of the noble youths and of the magistrates run up and down through the city naked, for sport and laughter striking those they meet with shaggy thongs. And many women of rank also purposely get in their way, and like children at school present their hands to be struck, believing that the
will thus be helped in
, and the barren to

The Lupercalia festival was partly in honor of Lupa, the she-wolf who suckled the infant orphans, Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome,[7] explaining the name of the festival, Lupercalia, or "Wolf Festival."

• Like 2

valentine_custom-9e9220109b917ec126df608

A drawing depicts the death of St. Valentine — one of them, anyway. The Romans executed two men by that name on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D.

________

Rant begins: Only the Western World could Commercialize barbarism and make money out of it by repackaging it.

They did that to Religion too, but who's keeping count lol Rant ends.

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 2

From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.

happy_valentines_day.jpg

• Like 3

♫♪♩♬`LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN! ♫♪♩♬

Oh wait, you guys have to get out of church first :P

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 3

From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.

happy_valentines_day.jpg

Great idea! I am sure the women I want to impress are gonna LOVE me heaps after I flog them with a freshly flayed dog skin for Valentine's Day! .... Why did I never think of that before ? !

• Like 3

Great idea! I am sure the women I want to impress are gonna LOVE me heaps after I flog them with a freshly flayed dog skin for Valentine's Day! .... Why did I never think of that before ? !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Nungali :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

This particular holiday has gotten quite a bit more boring over the centuries...

♫♪♩♬`LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN! ♫♪♩♬

Oh wait, you guys have to get out of church first :P

I was busy at the chinese new year parade today :).

• Like 2

Valentine's Day- also known as:

Werewolves-4.jpg

Lupercus

God of wolves, significant to Romans in that the mythological founders of the Roman Nation (Romulus and Remus) were suckled by a she-wolf in infancy.

Lupercalia was a very ancient, possibly pre-Roman[2] pastoral festival, observed on February 13 through 15 to avert evil spirits and purify the city, releasing health and fertility. Lupercalia subsumed Februa, an earlier-origin spring cleansing ritual held on the same date, which gives the month of February (Februarius) its name.

Lupercalia most likely derives from lupus, "wolf," though both the etymology and its significance are obscure[1](bronze wolf's head, 1st century AD)

The name Lupercalia was believed in antiquity to evince some connection with the Ancient Greek festival of the Arcadian Lykaia (from Ancient Greek: λύκοςlukos, "wolf", Latin lupus) and the worship of Lycaean Pan, assumed to be a Greek equivalent to Faunus, as instituted by Evander.[3]

In Roman mythology, Lupercus is a god sometimes identified with the Roman god Faunus, who is the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Pan.[4] Lupercus is the god of shepherds. His festival, celebrated on the anniversary of the founding of his temple on February 15, was called the Lupercalia. His priests wore goatskins. The historian Justin mentions an image of "the Lycaean god, whom the Greeks call Pan and the Romans Lupercus,"[5] nude save for the girdle of goatskin, which stood in the Lupercal, the cave where Romulus and Remus were suckled by a she-wolf. There, on the Ides of February (in February the ides is the 13th), a goat and a dog were sacrificed, and salt mealcakes prepared by the Vestal Virgins were burnt.

Hmmn, I was going to get my wife a box of chocolate for Valentines Day. Now I'm thinking raw goats heart might be more historical.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2