Sign in to follow this  
Harmonious Emptiness

Green Dragon Horse Dog appearance

1620987_226204414232963_1020777505_n.jpg

1625574_226204467566291_1723719460_n.jpg

Green dragon horse dog appearance in my shirt on the floor, the day after it was worn on lunar New-Year's day of the Wood (green) Horse.

It looks sort of like a crocodile, but the smile is like that of a dog. Dogs and horses are both domesticated animals. It's green so it looks like a dragon. If you take a dog and give it dragon qualities you get a horse!

So happy Wood Horse Year, says the dragon dog!

• Like 4

I have a dragon-turtle guarding my entrance door this year -- since my door is in the South and Taisui is there this time. The dragon-turtle is the only creature that can face and soften him. You are not to disturb the Taisui gua, and it's impossible to avoid if he positions himself at the entrance, so the dragon-turtle is the "remedy." It looks like this:

127934462320.jpg

• Like 1

While I love the artists depiction of the horse dragon dog.. the hooves are cloven and it looks like it has antlers ,, so wouldnt it be a deer dragon dog?

Correction....
That is a half dragon and half horse which is called 麒麟 or 騏驎(Qilin) and was known as a Chinese unicorn. Where did the dog part came in from.....??? Please don't confuse it with the deer part now....!!!

19300001199848130286466959835_950.jpg

It was an mythical animal.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

A classic Chinese dragon has nine "resemblances," proprietary anatomical similarities to nine other creatures. So the horns of a stag are dragon's own. The hooves are perhaps the artist's liberty (this is something modern that came up when I looked for "kirin." A classic kirin looks much more like a dog.)

According to the Han dynasty scholar Wang Fu, the nine "resemblances" of the dragon are the following:

His horns resemble those of a
, his head that of a
, his
those of a
, his neck that of a snake, his belly that of a
(
, 蜃), his scales those of a
, his
those of an
, his soles those of a
, his ears those of a
. Upon his head he has a thing like a broad eminence (a big lump), called [
chimu
] (尺木). If a dragon has no [
chimu
], he cannot ascend to the sky.

• Like 1

Okay! The kirin is the Japanese version. The 麒麟(Qilin), half dragon and half horse, is the original Chinese version.

Okay! The kirin is the Japanese version. The 麒麟(Qilin), half dragon and half horse, is the original Chinese version.

Nope. I just spelled it the old-fashioned Wade-Giles way. Kirin=qilin. And I own a few, they usually come in pairs, a male and a female (the male is the one playing with the pearl, though I have a pair who look like playful puppies wrestling for the pearl.) An antique bronze incense burner I own has a kirin for the handle on top of the lid, and it looks absolutely like a dog, nothing horsy whatsoever. Some look more feline though, some have certain equestrian flavor about them, but none are a dragon-horse mix. A Dragon-Horse is a different animal altogether -- longma, long "dragon" and ma "horse". Know Fuxi's story?.. That one.

Edited by Taomeow

Correction....

That is a half dragon and half horse which is called 麒麟 or 騏驎(Qilin) and was known as a Chinese unicorn. Where did the dog part came in from.....??? Please don't confuse it with the deer part now....!!!

19300001199848130286466959835_950.jpg

It was an mythical animal.

Being mythical depiction , any part of it you see , someone INTENtionally put there.

Maybe theres a story of how the horse lost his other toe.

Edited by Stosh

Maybe theres a story of how the horse lost his other toe.

I'm sure there could be. Would you like to have a go at it?

I'm sure there could be. Would you like to have a go at it?

Id need more background to have it fit with standard. I dont think you can start with 'In the beginning...'

Maybe ,, Way way back in the age of barbarians, before even the reign of Huang Lao.. in a land beyond the farthest reach of the Zeya river..

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

123307-004-5462AF7B.jpg

Here is the actual mythical creature, 驥驎(qilin), with a dragon head and a horse body(sitting like a dog).

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Actual mythical creature?

That bronze Qilin dates to Qing dynasty (by the looks of it ), Qilin dates to Zhou. Im reading that the feet are sometimes of oxen sometimes deer , sometimes horse, the japanese version is usually deerlike.. but I dont see any indications of dog content but it wold be easy to over look Ive been googling to try to find the oldest representation.. Nifty art.

"A Qing dynasty example

The Qilin of China's subsequent Manchurian dominated Qing dynasty (1644–1911) is a much more fanciful animal. Manchurian depictions of the Qilin depict a creature with the head of a dragon, the antlers of a deer, the skin and scales of a fish, the hooves of an ox and tail of a lion. (An image is shown above as a bronze sculpture.)"

Edited by Stosh

Sign in to follow this