missthang

Choosing Style of QiGong?

Hi -- I've been lurking here a while and this is my first post.

I'd like some advice on choosing a style of QiGong (or Nei Gong) to get started with. I've played around the past year with some Americanized versions of QiGong (Lee Holden's stuff) and while they are somewhat helpful (I do sometimes feel chi moving), I don't think they're powerful enough to get me where I want to go.

My goals are:

1. Help heal some digestive issues that I've been working on via other means the past couple of years.

2. Increase energy (compromised digestion=compromised energy).

3. Eventually be able to feel and direct chi within my body to wherever I want it to go and possibly help others with their healing.

Here are my challenges to learning at the moment:

1. Cost -- I'm on a really tight budget right now and just can't afford one of those $1000 courses or to study with a sifu and I don't actually think there's one in my city anyway. So I need to start with a dvd or downloadable video that's less than $40.

2. Time -- I don't have 1-2 hours every day to practice. Some days I could definitely do an hour -- other days, only 30-45 minutes.

I like yoga pretty well -- I like the stretching, the breathing and the focus and it does help a little with strength. But even though a good yoga session will leave me relaxed and more focused, I don't feel the chi from it, so it's not likely to help me achieve my goals as much as QiGong (I believe). I understand kundalini yoga focuses on freeing up and directing yin chi, but I think for healing, one needs yang chi as well, right? Especially if low energy is an issue.

It would be nice if the system were one that would enable me to study at home for the first 3-6 months but there would be good instructors in the U.S. that I could take a workshop with down the road as my practice advance.

Maybe this should go without saying, but developing and feeling chi quickly (not having to practice for months before you feel it) is a high priority.

Perhaps some of my goals are unrealistic, but even so, if you could suggest types of QiGong that would most closely match these, I would surely appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to the Tao Bums.

When it comes to qigong there is no shortage of styles and schools and you will find no shortage of advice on this forum as regards which style or school to choose. My only advice would be to choose a style which is represented within travelling distance so that you may receive some personal tuition.

You may now post freely in the forum but before getting started please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and also take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This covers all that you need be aware of to get started.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chang

Thanks, Guys. Those are helpful threads.

I seem to have narrowed it down to SFQ, GoT and Flying Phoenix. Again, my priorities are healing and energy, not necessarily spiritual enlightenment (though I have nothing against that -- I'm just more concerned with getting my physial health in better shape first).

One other question -- I know in certain styles of QiGong, you are specifically told not to engage in any other type of energy work while you are doing this style (fragrant QiGong, for example). I don't have any burning desire to spend more time than necessary working with my energy to see improvements, but I have a home acupuncture pen (an electronic device) that I use on key acupunture points when I really need an extra boost. I called SFQ Friday and asked them if doing acupuncure/acupressure would contradict their style of practice and they said it wasn't recommended. I guess what confuses me is that I've ready repeatedly that acupuncture, qigong and herbs are the 3 prongs of TCM and you can receive the best results using them together. Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Guys. Those are helpful threads.

I seem to have narrowed it down to SFQ, GoT and Flying Phoenix. Again, my priorities are healing and energy, not necessarily spiritual enlightenment (though I have nothing against that -- I'm just more concerned with getting my physial health in better shape first).

One other question -- I know in certain styles of QiGong, you are specifically told not to engage in any other type of energy work while you are doing this style (fragrant QiGong, for example). I don't have any burning desire to spend more time than necessary working with my energy to see improvements, but I have a home acupuncture pen (an electronic device) that I use on key acupunture points when I really need an extra boost. I called SFQ Friday and asked them if doing acupuncure/acupressure would contradict their style of practice and they said it wasn't recommended. I guess what confuses me is that I've ready repeatedly that acupuncture, qigong and herbs are the 3 prongs of TCM and you can receive the best results using them together. Any thoughts here?

Perhaps the reason they didn't advise it is that is is difficult for a person to see exactly where their own imbalance is. This is why we would go to a doctor of Chinese medicine versus attempting self-acupuncture, as they can be objective whereas we will always be subjective with ourselves.

That said, if the qigong system is powerful, I don't think a bit of using a home acupuncture pen is going to make that drastic a difference unless you are spending just a whole heck of amount of time hitting some arbitrary points - this could lead to significant imbalance.

Thanks, Michael. I only spend about 15 minutes doing the home acupuncture but when it hits right, I end up with a nice chi buzz afterwards:-)

Btw -- I sent you a PM about your system.

Your PM answered.

I have used in the past Dr Shealy's device on acupoints. It is very relaxing and he does have a complete acupoint protocol. It did not interfere with my qigong one bit. Also I have had electro acupuncture done and it didn't interfere with my qigong either.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for that info on Dr. Shealy's acupuncture points! I've been using some suggested by a guy who came up with certain points for digestion, but I wasn't really sure I trusted him. Dr. Shealy'v very reputable, though, and since you endorse his method as well and he lists the points on his site, I'm going to try it for sure! You da man!

For stomach/digestive issues, this stuff is very popular here in Germany:

Iberogast

That's a link to Amazon.com in the USA.

It's all natural and the go-to prescription from doctors here. Works most of the time. Can't hurt anyway. It may look expensive at first but a 100ml bottle lasts quite a while.

• Like 1

Thanks, Soaring Crane! I've tried hundreds of natural remedies (and have actually improved significantly) but I leveled off about 6 months ago and can't seem to get all the way better. This is one product I actually hadn't heard of (I'm sure I'm one of Amazon's best customers since I've purchased every other natural remedy in existence from them:-), but I'll check it out for sure.

I would recommend some form of regular stretching to work out your own sticky points. I believe most formalized stretching like yoga, jibengong, Xing Shen Zhuan, etc. were initially developed to prepare one for meditation or moving arts. So, they are all good to draw from. But, I would still configure your own custom routine personalized for yourself to maximize efficiency.

Then, I would also try to locate and release your blockages through whatever therapy works best for you. Typically, these might include some blend of psychotherapy and bodywork like acupressure, acupuncture, qigong healing, therapeutic massage, herbs, etc.. If you have severe blockages, the raw emotional pain will likely feel something like this once you directly pinpoint them:

So, it sounds like you're already on the right track here, but haven't quite zeroed in on your root issue yet. Might your digestive problems have something to do with a male fetus? Is there perhaps something that happened in your life that you just can't stomach?

Anyhow, the more blockages you release, the more qi will flow freely and easier any qigong style will be... So, that's what I'm personally focusing more on at the moment too...the direct release of qi blockages.

Otherwise, I'd say all the systems mentioned here should be pretty good. The mileage probably may vary based upon how much supplemental preparation each student might need first...

Edited by vortex

Vortex -- I appreciate the suggestions. I did "therapy" for years and found it pretty worthless. I've done EFT the past few years and have found it far more effective.

One of the big challenges right now is I just don't have the money to spend on any more practitioners (I've incurred a lot of debt the past few years trying everything under the sun -- only a few of which have proven helpful). I've done lots new agey energy healing things as well as probably 100 acupuncture sessions, massage, yoga and though tons of intense research, I'm now more knowledgeable about herbs and supplements than many naturopaths, but of course, this is from a Western perspective -- I realize Chinese herbs are different and I've tried 3 or 4 herbal preparations from TCM pracitioners as well, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about Chinese herbs.

But I don't really know what the root issue is from a TCM perspective. The best guess of the latest doctor is that I have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (sibo) and/or candida overgrowth. I took a round of antibiotics targeted for sibo, but they just made me worse. I'm now doing yet another herbal anti-pathogen protocol, this one adds DMSO which is supposed to help the herbs absorb better and break through any biofilms where the bacteria and yeast may be shielding themselves. The suspected cause is overuse of antibiotics/poor diet. But again, that doesn't really point to the energy issue from a TCM view point. Each TCM practitioner I've seen has had a different take on where the blockage is, but despite having spent thousands of dollars with them, the issue still exists.

I'm curious about your remark about the male fetus -- that seems really out of left field to me. Would you mind explaining that to me a bit? Thanks.

Edited by missthang

Understood. You have to find what works for you, including affordability too.

By "psychotherapy," I actually simply meant determining the psychological cause behind painful emotions that then got suppressed to create qi blockages and chronic muscle tension. Manitou here does a version she calls "triangulation." No degree/license required, or even needed, for that, lol. So you could DIY this for free. Although if conventional psychotherapy worked for you, great too! Like you said though, it is exceedingly expensive and may also be limited in its theoretical scope.

Other methods like acupressure, yoga, massage, BKF's dissolving, etc. can obviously also be done for free. Are there any particular regions or acupoints that are really painful for you? Like I said, the key is that you have to drill down to your root issue, though. Which may often originate from a past life and your current life revolves around for you to resolve. When you encounter pain that feels almost unbearable, like in that video, then you know you've hit pay dirt. :D

The fetus comment was merely a cold read attempt/shot in the dark. I "saw" darkness filling the bottom of your belly and a male fetus sucking its thumb below that. I have no idea what that might mean, if anything. So, if that means nothing to you, then it probably...means nothing. But you just never know, so I throw it out there in case it does stick sometimes! :lol:

Edited by vortex
  • Like 2

Hello missthang,

While searching in Amazon recently, I came across a listing for a book/DVD combo called "The Art of Life" by an Australian teacher named Simon Blow. It includes instruction in warm-up exercises, 8 Pieces of Brocade, and Shibashi (aka 18 Movements of Tai Chi Qigong). It only costs $18.00. Although I have not yet seen this yet (I just ordered it), I am a big fan of both 8 Pieces of Brocade and Shibashi. If you take a look at my log in the personal practice section, I've been doing these two sets almost daily for years. They aren't ones that will necessarily produce the strongest qi sensations, but will provide good stretching of the meridians. and build a foundation.

After doing these pieces daily (or as much as possible) for a few months, I would then recommend adding the 12 movement Hunyuan Qigong (created by Feng Zhiqiang). You can get a DVD for $29.00 or digital download of this form from Master Chen Zhonghua's Practical Method web site. My experience of this is that produces very strong qi sensations, almost blissful feelings. I did 100 days straight of this form last year, it was very powerful for me. Also, I heard Ken Cohen state that he has seen some students recover from serious health problems by practicing this form (like advanced cancers, etc.). He calls it Primordial Qigong.

These resources would cost you under $50.00 all together, and practicing the three of them would take a little under an hour. There are also plenty of free materials on these forms on Youtube as well. Best wishes for your qigong journey.

Edit: FYI, I just got the "Art of Life" book through Amazon, but it did not come with the DVD. On his web site: http://www.simonblowqigong.com he sells the book and DVD together for $25.00.

Edited by Dainin
  • Like 2

Hi Missthang,

You are welcome.

As it seems you have the same symptoms I had in the past.This is common to yoga and chikung practitioners who don't really know what they are doing.

I totaly agree with Vortex that you should contact Gary Clyman (Emotional Liposaction).Gary is the only one who can help people get out of great minus you are in. He cures all physical problems people have .Everything you have to do is to read his first book Chikung Bible(free).

You are suffering from extremely low level of Chi, but with the help of Gary you will be able to gain an enormous strength:)))

His site is http://www.chikung.com/

In case you have any questions regarding recovery ,please contact me.

Gary is the only one who can help people get out of great minus you are in.

No he isn't.

There are many paths, and one's that don't require half a years salary.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, Barracuda, but I've been on Gary's site and while I was initially intrigued, the more I watched and read the more turned off I got with his over-the-top, cocky attitude. I realize different techniques and approaches work for different people and I don't discount the fact that he may do amazing work with many people, but I have learned enough about myself and my instincts to trust my gut when it tells me to avoid certain practitioners.

To me, the epitome of a person with positive, powerful Qi has a quiet confidence about them -- they don't feel the need to figuratively beat others about the head with how amazing they are because their truth and their abilities will surely shine and be evident to true seekers. Again, this is not to imply that he doesn't help many others, but even if I had the budget to spend with him, I would not based on his overbearing approach.

Thank you for your suggestions though.

• Like 2