Sign in to follow this  
Oolong Rabbit

Anyone ever heard of vajra boxing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajra_Mushti

Vajra-mushti (Sanskrit vajramuṣṭi वज्रमुश्टि) is a Sanskrit bahuvrihi compound translating to "one who is grasping a thunderbolt" or "one whose clenched fist is like a diamond". It is a name of Indra mentinoed in the Ramayana epic.

Terence Dukes in The Boddhisattva Warriors (2000) claims that vajramuṣṭi was also a term for an ancient Indian martial art of the kshatriya caste that was transferred to China along with the silk road transmission of Buddhism during the early centuries CE, contributing to the origins of Chinese martial arts. Dukes speculates that there was a martial art specific to early Buddhism which he terms "Bodhisattva Vajramukti" (sic). Dukes builds his theory on he term vajramuṣṭi itself, which he translates as "Thunder Fist". He claims that "Bodhisattva Vajramukti" was passed on within early Chinese Buddhist temples, as 拳法 chuan fa, whence Japanese kenpō.

It is breaking vinaya. Once you have taken refuge in the buddha to actively teach warriors is against vinaya.

It's a minor offence and not one of the four transgressions that causes immediate explusion from the sangha

If the Practioners are monks then they would be held accountable by their superiors and forced to do purifications.

This is only valid if the person in the video is a fully ordained monk and does not have the permission of his superior to publicly perform.

Anyone ever heard of vajra boxing before?

I am curious if there is any similarity to Lei Shan Dao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Buddha_School

Vajra Mushti is an ancient Indian Martial Art. The only people that I know of that still know this art-form are from a family titled Jyestha Mallas. Here's some details about this:

http://prashanthmsblog.blogspot.com/2007/0...-community.html

Uhm, sorry for bump but I've been looking for info on this topic and not found much of anything.

Maybe this is the right thread, maybe not, and if so forgive me.

I've read numerous references to the Vajra being used as a weapon, and not just mythologically.

I'm curious about wether the vajra in this case is in likeness of the actual ritual tool or is it a more "weaponlike" representation of it?

I mean a person who has Gong Fu should be able to figure out a good way to use it (off the bat I'd say it seems to have multiple trapping, bludgeoning and stabbing/pressure point applications) but is there a known formalization of it as weapon?

Cheers

//Afternoon musings...

Uhm, sorry for bump but I've been looking for info on this topic and not found much of anything.

Maybe this is the right thread, maybe not, and if so forgive me.

I've read numerous references to the Vajra being used as a weapon, and not just mythologically.

I'm curious about wether the vajra in this case is in likeness of the actual ritual tool or is it a more "weaponlike" representation of it?

I mean a person who has Gong Fu should be able to figure out a good way to use it (off the bat I'd say it seems to have multiple trapping, bludgeoning and stabbing/pressure point applications) but is there a known formalization of it as weapon?

Cheers

//Afternoon musings...

I'll just add to this thread that Shaolin Grandmasters say that Gong Fu is really just exercise to develop discipline and health, according to http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Grandmasters-Text-History-Philosophy/dp/0975500902

Also in Shaolin Grandmasters Text it explains that it is considered suicide to attack a Shaolin monk since they will not attack you but will only return destructive energy projected towards them if necessary.

On the other hand, you're asking about Vajra. My only knowledge of the Vajra is that it was an ancient Indian weapon used to catch swords and is now used in Buddhist rituals, maybe because it is mostly a defensive weapon (?), symbolizing "spirit and spiritual power" (wiki), and I'm pretty sure it's used for purification rituals somehow.. It also means thunderbolt and diamond (wiki)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

I'll just add to this thread that Shaolin Grandmasters say that Gong Fu is really just exercise to develop discipline and health, according to http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Grandmasters-Text-History-Philosophy/dp/0975500902

Also in Shaolin Grandmasters Text it explains that it is considered suicide to attack a Shaolin monk since they will not attack you but will only return destructive energy projected towards them if necessary.

On the other hand, you're asking about Vajra. My only knowledge of the Vajra is that it was an ancient Indian weapon used to catch swords and is now used in Buddhist rituals, maybe because it is mostly a defensive weapon (?), symbolizing "spirit and spiritual power" (wiki), and I'm pretty sure it's used for purification rituals somehow.. It also means thunderbolt and diamond (wiki)

Yep, i think you're right about Gong Fu, it's a viable path to self knowledge and gives the benefit of discipline and health, i know my Sifu and Dai Si would joyously agree with you :)

Hmm, yeah it's applications as i've envisioned them seem defensive enough (or at least subject to a "ride the wind" strategy), even though i'm guessing catching a sword'd be high level development, depending on the size of the Vajra. Seen a footlong one, thinking of buying it and see what to do with it. Except for fumbling and dropping it on my foot that is.

Yeah i read about it on wiki, i'd love to read the source about the Indian weapon thing. Lemme know if you find it?

Sorry to say this,but to me it just looks ...ridiculous...

rofl I think that's just chinese standup comedy

:D oh man..I really needed to see smth like this tonight...

Yep, i think you're right about Gong Fu, it's a viable path to self knowledge and gives the benefit of discipline and health, i know my Sifu and Dai Si would joyously agree with you :)

Hmm, yeah it's applications as i've envisioned them seem defensive enough (or at least subject to a "ride the wind" strategy), even though i'm guessing catching a sword'd be high level development, depending on the size of the Vajra. Seen a footlong one, thinking of buying it and see what to do with it. Except for fumbling and dropping it on my foot that is.

Yeah i read about it on wiki, i'd love to read the source about the Indian weapon thing. Lemme know if you find it?

Yeah, I think pretty much any consistent practice which develops a strong self-discipline can be a viable path to self-knowledge eventually, though I wouldn't pit it against the philosphical and spiritual teachings that accompany the instruction of Buddhist and Taoist monks.

My source for the vajra being an ancient Indian weapon for catching, and breaking, swords was just an old Chinese guy in a Buddhist specialty shop. I couldn't find anything about it online. Not sure where you'd find more info about it. Indian martial arts?

Here's a bit more about it. I think maybe the weapon had open prongs as opposed to them being closed and meeting together at the top as in the peaceful religious implement.

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/ritual/

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Sign in to follow this