Songtsan

Should I kill the mice?

They are such cute little things...they live behind the stove and they run around the kitchen as if they don't care. No cat in the house and the dog isn't capable...I honestly like them, yet they are very adamantly into eating our stuff. Hmmm...

I don't mind feeding them - maybe it's time to breed a domesticated mouse that cleans up the crumbs?

I can hear them eating stuff right now in the stove as they go about their business....a mouse has gotta do what a mouse has gotta do...what should a human do? I am perplexed...should I become a trapper? A peanut-butter predator of those little doods?

I watch myself as I nonchalantly consider killing them with mouse traps and I think "This sucks...."

I never thought about being nice to them, i just put down poison and forget about it. If i see a dead one i pick it up by the tail with some pliers. This is more like a rat than a mouse, they eat my chicken food.

I think if you let them go you will begin to have a problem then you will need to kill a whole infestation. Better to keep it under control. I don't like the thought of animals like rats n mice living in my house but i guess there are thousands of little critters living in here. *shrugs*

Get a pet snake...

;)

Actually I have heard of a few people having success by talking with them and explaining why they need to move out...

• Like 4

Clean the place and never leave any food or crumbs out , secondly look where the holes are ...and patch them up . If they are still coming it means that there are more holes or ones that are there are not patched up .

This should work unless the house you live in is super old -- it worked for me years ago .

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 7

Regretfully just a few days ago I had to put out poisoned bait for rats. They were destroying things, ate a whole in the ceiling where I keep my fish food and ate holes in the plastic containers I kept the food in in order to get to the food. I also did away with the plastic containers and bought stainless steel containers so it wouldn't (I hope) happen again.

A couple of years ago we had a couple of rats... who completely devoured the rat poison, even the box we had not yet put out! Yet they were still alive and well. We had put all the food in plastic containers high up, and apparently they were hungry?

Fortunately they moved out by next season.

• Like 1

Clean the place and never leave any food or crumbs out , secondly look where the holes are ...and patch them up . If they are still coming it means that there are more holes or ones that are there are not patched up .

This should work unless the house you live in is super old -- it worked for me years ago .

There is probably to this. We had one mouse, my wife.. took it badly and called a professional exterminator. Walking around our house there were places that mice could get in and from droppings, probably were. We filled up such openings with steel wool, put wire mesh and metal tape around a few more openings. No more mouse problem (we also put out some poison). So the walk around with some cheap supplies can make a real difference. Also remove climeable branches from nearby the house, ie keep critters off the roof.

• Like 3

Always dump organic food waste into outdoor compost or keep it in your fridge until you can take it out later.

Throwing it in an indoor trash can (like most do) is like leaving a free buffet out to attract bugs & rats..

Of course, they could be feeding on his pet food too, lol..

:)

thing is, we are moving somewhere else in a month....

as far as trapping humanely - it is the winter time...but I am sure they would at least have a chance at that.

This is kind of like the "Does a dog have Buddha nature?" question...what if I kill a little Buddha-mouse? He might just have been about to teach the other mice great things ;)

Is it bad karma?

they are little awareness beings...maybe their mind doesn't have the complexity of ours, but still it must be pretty interesting to be a mouse...

I contemplated the issue and felt bad for them as I visualized killing them - this even after I have often had killing thoughts about evil humans like psycho-rapist-killers, corporate world destroyers, and world-dominator groups like the Illumanati or whatnot..

Perhaps I shall just wait until I am in a killing mood!

A mouse killing frenzy!

Those little micies don't even know what is coming for them! <wicked laugh>

gonna make me some mouse-kabobs...or maybe some mousey-pot pie!

• Like 1

thing is, we are moving somewhere else in a month....

as far as trapping humanely - it is the winter time...but I am sure they would at least have a chance at that.

This is kind of like the "Does a dog have Buddha nature?" question...what if I kill a little Buddha-mouse? He might just have been about to teach the other mice great things ;)

Is it bad karma?

they are little awareness beings...maybe their mind doesn't have the complexity of ours, but still it must be pretty interesting to be a mouse...

I contemplated the issue and felt bad for them as I visualized killing them - this even after I have often had killing thoughts about evil humans like psycho-rapist-killers, corporate world destroyers, and world-dominator groups like the Illumanati or whatnot..

Perhaps I shall just wait until I am in a killing mood!

A mouse killing frenzy!

Those little micies don't even know what is coming for them! <wicked laugh>

gonna make me some mouse-kabobs...or maybe some mousey-pot pie!

You could always use a live trap for the evil humans like psycho-rapist-killers, corporate world destroyers, and world-dominator groups like the Illumanati or whatnot, and release them afterwards... on another planet ;).

Though I personally feel the mice should be given more grace than said groups mentioned above...

It's all good though, we have used rat poison, and the said groups above are eating GMOs and chemical laden food most likely, so it's about the same...

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

You could always use a live trap for the evil humans like psycho-rapist-killers, corporate world destroyers, and world-dominator groups like the Illumanati or whatnot, and release them afterwards... on another planet ;).

Though I personally feel the mice should be given more grace than said groups mentioned above...

It's all good though, we have used rat poison, and the said groups above are eating GMOs and chemical laden food most likely, so it's about the same...

You had me ROFLing there! haha

• Like 1

The mouse/rat/mice/rats could have been your mother in a previous life.

Time to put your 'desisting' mode into practice.

You're supposedly smart... figure out something.

Or perform Phowa if your killing mood takes over, and you're hungry at that.

If you dont know Phowa, go on mice-free diet. orrrr... Eat lettuce instead.

• Like 1

If your moving soon forget it ... leave em be if you like them. I was going to say and suggest a whole a lot of things as I lived with mice. bush rats and antichinus for over 20 years (They are highly intelligent and can out think many tricks and traps and tricks - thats why they used to use them in labs - remember the maze) the thing with the stove is they can get in it and pull out the insulation for nesting and wreck the stove ,,, not to mention breeding ... I let em be once and eventually woke up one morning in winter to find some had got in my bed for warmth and where sleeping around my feet.

I have had carpet snake inside ... and bought them inside for dinner , but they dont eat much and then go to sleep for days.

But if you are moving, why bother? Just tell the owner there must be some holes as mice got in, so he can preserve his stove.

(If it's your stove you can do this; around the bottom and the back there should be screws that hold the backing plate on and outer frame togther, take them out and fit small gauge metal mesh around the base and back and put the screws back in.

• Like 2

Worked for me. Bye bye micey mice. :)

yes it works ok, but what works much better is crumpled up aluminium foil ... especially if you catch the mouse first, drill small holes in their teeth and put dental fillings in the cavities ... then when they try to chew through the al foil ....

• Like 2

yes it works ok, but what works much better is crumpled up aluminium foil ... especially if you catch the mouse first, drill small holes in their teeth and put dental fillings in the cavities ... then when they try to chew through the al foil ....

Better to chase them up and down with a frying pan or similar and then trip over onto the ironing board so that your face because ironing board shaped. Or have I been watching too many Tom and Jerry cartoons.

• Like 3

This^^^ is a prerequisite for humanely catching and releasing them unless you are planning to transport them far away -- otherwise they may beat you back inside! You'll want to inspect/seal the structure itself (probably involving poking around in crawlspace or basement if you have one) rather than just the exterior envelope.

thelerner's steel-wool suggestion is a good detail, too.

If it is winter where you are, you may want to think twice about the kindness of releasing a "house mouse" into the cold...

Here we call it aluminum foil.

I always wondered why you guys pronounced it weirdly , turns out you spell it wrong ... ( Is titanium called titanum and lithium lithum ? ) .

steel wool for mice, dryer sheets for bees. a mouse got in here once and my two innocent little kitties who were 10 months old at the time tried having a conclave about how to determine who should paw at it a bit first. the thing died of starvation under the couch!

I let em be once and eventually woke up one morning in winter to find some had got in my bed for warmth and where sleeping around my feet.

That's pretty cute!

I always wondered why you guys pronounced it weirdly , turns out you spell it wrong ... ( Is titanium called titanum and lithium lithum ? ) .

:D:D:D

A wise man I saw on Tv once would have said ..

" Problem not mouse , problem you.

What do You do about a mouse?

really now ,,,,,,,, you dont know what to do about mice?

See problem?"

• Like 3