110576_1494798793

Study shows Tai Chi can lower blood sugar and pressure.

G'day all. I just had a read of this news article and thought it would be of interest to a few of the members here.

An Australian-developed tai chi-based exercise program has helped people reduce their blood sugar and blood pressure, according to a new study.

The gentle nature of the program makes it attractive to people unable or fearful of participating in conventional types of exercises.

Dr Liu said the program, known as SMILE Wellness, could be the first to scientifically demonstrate significant benefits of exercise alone for the management of diabetes, weight and depression.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2014/01/28/14/29/tai-chi-program-reduces-blood-sugar-study

• Like 1

That it helps reduce blood pressure has been established for quite some time. First time I can recall that it helps lower blood sugar but I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

They've shown it improves balance and even bone density for older people. What I would like to see is maybe a study about tai chi vs. maybe something like ballroom dancing. Wonder how much effect is tai chi itself vs. getting some sustained gentle exercise and mental stimulation of learning a routine.

• Like 2

Wasn't there a "Study" done in the 1970's, with two groups.

One who practised Tai chi on a daily basis.....and another made up of those unable to stand / walk. But they were taught to "imagine" going through the form.

The improvement in health of BOTH Groups was meant to be very similar.

Or was this just another one of those "Urban Myths" ?

• Like 1

I read a few books on meditation a few months ago and one had information on studies from around the world that showed meditation and tai chi can lower blood pressure and improve overall health. Two of the books were "Seeking silence in a noisy world : the art of mindful solitude" and "Simple Zen : a guide to living moment by moment". I'm sure it was one of them.

I found it really fascinating, though, that a simple (well, difficult really!) set of exercises could have such a profound affect on the body as it does on the lowering of blood sugar levels.

• Like 2

They've shown it improves balance and even bone density for older people. What I would like to see is maybe a study about tai chi vs. maybe something like ballroom dancing. Wonder how much effect is tai chi itself vs. getting some sustained gentle exercise and mental stimulation of learning a routine.

My first taiji teacher participated in a comparison study of sports at the Indiana University School of Public Medicine in Indianapolis. He said that of all the sports they studied, ballroom dancing was the only one that beat out taiji for increasing blood circulation.

• Like 2

Tai Chi and ballroom dancing both require a tremendous amount of concentration to learn. I felt like an uncoordinated baby when I was trying to follow an old man's moves while learning Tai Chi. People three times my age were gracefully going through the moves while I looked like...I don't know what. And trying to coordinate two feet, two legs, two arms and keep in time to a beat while holding onto another person is also frustratingly difficult to get the hang of.

I wonder if being totally mindful of what you are doing is the key to the success of both activities in the management of diabetes, weight and depression.

Perhaps people just have to be taught mindfulness?

• Like 3